Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

White folks in Europe definitely can. But not in the way Gortat was talking here. White is an American thing because we're such an ethnic hodge-podge. That's as specific as white people tend to get when describing themselves.

But there is an ancient history of ethnic prejudice and strife among white skinned peoples in Europe.

True that.  Everybody over there knows that Poles have no hops and Czechs cannot swim.

Buckhantz mentioned it during the game but I really like the whole Beal being more aggressive in fewer minutes thing for now. I know he was hitting a lot of long 2s last night and I'd rather not see shots like that but aggressively trying to score like that should instill more confidence in his game and pay off in the long run. 

Gortat was outstanding tonight. Vesely was really good off the bench. Booker got hot and made a huge impact in the third. John did his thing and got a little bit more rest than usual tonight. Porter and Temple and Webster were all solid off the bench. Nene took it hard to the rack over and over but couldn't get a call.

And biggest thing, Beal got off the snide and was unstoppable in the second half. Can't wait until he's able to play like this on a more regular basis. He was just way more aggressive right from the get go and he got himself into a rhythm.

Yeah, I was at the game last night and for the most part, Gortat was great. My friends that I went with became very familiar with the term Polish Hammer. :) There was a pretty sizable group of people with Polish heritage there, so that was nice to see. Beal was definitely in a groove, he was feeling it and was just so confident with his shot. Booker played well and you are right, Nene was getting a little frustrated at the lack of calls...for good reason. It was also funny to see Wall and Booker share a nice hug on the kiss cam. :)

I was a little worried after the Bobcats cut it to seven late, but they hit some big shots down the stretch.

was the statement only mentioning white people?

not only that but Gortat and Vesely do not see themselves as "white." They see one as Polish and the other Czech.

It's all tongue in cheek, but in a racist context, the statement can only be interpreted as reinforcing the stereotype that white folks can't jump.

For instance:  " That John Wall is a white man in a black man's body…You never see a black man swim like that."  See what I mean?

Anyone have a gif of Vesely's steal and dunk?

I watched a video replay of it and the crazy part is how effortless it was for him form that distance. He dunked it comfortably. He could have launched from closer to the FT line and still dunked it.

Ves played well on the whole too. Got some good rebounds, played excellent D, and scored with his back to the basket. I'd like to see him steadily earn more minutes if he keeps that up.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: if Ves actually emerges as a quality rotation player, that would be like finding forgotten money in you pocket after you take your pants out of the dryer. It would be a big benefit to our long term build.

Also, if Booker starts shooting more like he did last night, that completely changes his value as a player.

A Booker that can shoot is an outstanding piece of the rotation. A Brandon Bass but with better rebounding. A Booker that can't shoot is just an undersized hustle player that can't really defend all that well.

Best of all would be if Booker eventually develops three ball range. Then we'd really have something nice on our hands.

It's all tongue in cheek, but in a racist context, the statement can only be interpreted as reinforcing the stereotype that white folks can't jump.

For instance:  " That John Wall is a white man in a black man's body…You never see a black man swim like that."  See what I mean?

Not to take this too far down that road, but the white men can't jump meme is more of a racial statement against black people, than whites. (he plays on instinct vs. he is a smart player, etc)

**** all this racism talk. Gortat is not a racist. I can't believe I've grown to like a player this much that Ernie brought on board. Gortat was too much for the Bobcats last night. He put up a 18/13/3 and shut down Al Jefferson.

In what is a sure sign of the apocalypse Michael Jordan actually attended the game and even sat in floor seats instead of his luxury box. And I didn’t know that rapper Nelly was part of their ownership. He was at the game too. I’d rather hang out with him over MJ and no I’m not kidding.

Wizards' 17-0 run in the 3rd quarter was basically the reason they won.

And I didn’t know that rapper Nelly was part of their ownership. He was at the game too. I’d rather hang out with him over MJ and no I’m not kidding.

Yeah, I live in Charlotte and I have seen Nelly at a few games in the past. But I did not know that he was part of the ownership group until last night. There were a few times when I wondered what he was doing at a Charlotte Bobcats game. It all makes sense now. :)

was the statement only mentioning white people?

not only that but Gortat and Vesely do not see themselves as "white." They see one as Polish and the other Czech.

American racial sensitivity is hilarious. He complimented black athletes and jokingly insulted white athletes, of which he is one.... But if you run that through the American lens-o-racism he's stereotyped blacks for their athleticism, which is not ok because it somehow implies that all blacks can jump high and run fast which in turn implies that they cannot also be smart and generally awesome in non-athletic ways. Whites meanwhile will not comment on if they can or cannot jump as a people because no matter how they answer it, they will be seen as talking "for whites" which is one step away from cutting eyeholes in your pillow case.

The old days of blacks being instinctive and whites smart were crap need sto be abandoned. The truth is instinct and BBIQ are different things capable of living in the same body. DWade's ability to get to the rim without being the fastest, longest, or best leaper on the floor is instinct. It cannot be taught. His knowing how many minutes are on the shot clock, when to attack, and when to hold back are intelligence that can be learned by some. We need to abandon the racist buzz words because the game is not a political American thing anymore. Its global now and in just about every country kids are dreaming of breaking ankles and hitting shots at the buzzer. Its a beautiful thing.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 2

Well said Destino. But I'll add that I do seem to remember that positive stereotypes, like praising black people for being athletic, or Asians for being good students, are still potentially harmful.

Why? I've forgotten. Something to do with "otherness" or such. It's been a while since I took sociology and race history classes. Or cracked a book on the subject. Someone better informed is going to have to fill in the rest.

Where's an Asian when you need one?

This might be Vesely's best half of his career. 6 points, 5 boards. Drew a couple of fouls. Disruptive on D.

He looks like a different player on offense. Scored without hesitation on a running hook. He's given us an inside target and scored with touch around the rim. This close to an alley oop too but he got fouled I think.

Outstanding first half offensively. Ball started whipping around and guys started to get some dribble and pass penetration. Tons of offensive rebounds. And some turnovers leading to fast break opportunities.

Ariza scored some terrific hustle buckets. Catching Websters air ball for that alley oop reverse lay up was one of the coolest things I've seen all year.

And John really started heating up there in the second. That three from 30 off the glass with the clock running down was ridiculous. He did something similar last night.

Do one of you better fans than I know Vesely's contract status. Didn't we decline some sort of option this season?

Yeah we declined his option for the final year. He'll be a FA this summer. I think he's restricted, but I'm not sure.