Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Short of us making a playoff run (which I'm not even sure is possible) there's no chance Whitman is back. And I've been a supporter but I think Ernie is gone too.

Laron Profit (who I like A LOT as the Wiz beat reporter on 980) recommended someone a couple of days ago. I can't remember who but he was making a lot of sense. I think he's on LA's staff

I tried and tried to tell you guys about Seraphin.....more reason to trade McGee. Not saying Seraphin is as good as McGee...but we'd be better off not paying McGee and getting something in return for him. Have Seraphin and a guy like Asik (FA) or anyone else for that matter platoon the center position.

Seraphin has been hit or miss. Some games he has been absolutely abused, or picked up like 3 fouls exteremly fast. Others he has played decent. But dont forget that in this game, McGee played pretty good as well. It was just a good night for the bigs as Kobe was busy shooting his team out of the game. I do agree Seraphin should get all of Blatches minutes though!

I think Seraphin's good night mas more indicative of Nick Young's decision to pass the ball. This is something he has NEVER done before. Imagine how good he would be if he decided to pass when he didnt have a shot!

Edited by Skin'emAlive

I'm not in favor of just automatically giving him the job, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't been pleasantly surprised with Wittman so far this season.

The Wizards looked pitiful in the beginning of the season until Flip got canned. I assumed it was done there but since then I've watched most of the games, and most of them were at least competitive. I like that he distributes playing time on who's actually earned it lately (something I hadn't seen in quite a while) and you can see some improvement in some of the young guys.

I don't know enough to say who should be the guy, but definitely have to give him props and try to keep him around in some capacity.

Nice win for the Wizards. Perhaps they can build some momentum. Bad loss for the Lakers after a huge win against the Heat.

I was impressed with the Wizards attitude after being down and essentially out of the game. They fought hard and got the job done, something I have not seen often from them this season.

Edited by Kosher Ham

Seraphin is the type of big you can win games with. He plays the game with intelligence.

But he's too small and he's not good at altering shots not coming from his defensive assignment. He had a good game today as did all of the bigs other than Blatche. Maybe I'm wrong and he is a backup center in this league, I'd love to be wrong.

Booker 38min 18 points 17 boards

Seraphin 25min 14 and 9

McGee 23min 12 and 12

One rebound away from three double doubles from the PF and C position. All scored efficiently as well. Which makes sense being that we beat the lakers despite wall having no energy. I thought they'd struggle more with Bynum and Gasol but I guess this shows that perimeter defense and jump shooting teams are a bigger problem for the wizards.

I like this team when our bigs get the ball and shot attempts. I like this a hell of a lot less when it's all guard offense. I'd like Whittman to show the bigs the same patience and commitment he shows Singleton and the guards.

Edited by Destino

But he's too small and he's not good at altering shots not coming from his defensive assignment. He had a good game today as did all of the bigs other than Blatche. Maybe I'm wrong and he is a backup center in this league, I'd love to be wrong.

you are likely right about him being a back up center.....good thing you need a good dependable back up center in the NBA. Back up center is his floor....he could most certainly develop into a serviceable starting center in this league.

As someone else pointed out earlier in this thread...he has pretty good touch. I also love how physical and mean he is. Seraphin doesn't back down.

Seraphin has run the spectrum of play this season, but it's probably worth noting that his three best games (IMO) were against Dwight and Bynum. He gets up to play against the big boys, and as short as he is, he does a good job outmuscling these mammoth bigs and making them uncomfortable. He's mean and competitive and guys like Bynum and Howard are not used to someone hitting them back like Seraphin does.

He's not a good starting option long term though. He's like a shorter, lighter, more athletic Brendan Haywood.

I'd be fine with Seraphitn figuring in prominently in the center tandem if we find someone else a little more offensively minded. Plus the other guy needs to be a seven footer. JaVale's length tandems well with S. eraphin's strength but neither are world beaters.

I'd love to strike a deal with Utah for one of their myriad bigs. Do they really need Kanter, Jefferson, and Favors? If I'm them, I just can't give up on Milsap at PF so that's a loaded C spot. Jefferson is too good to just let go. So you keep one of Kanter or Favors. I'd give up any of our perimeter players except Wall and/or JaVale for Kanter, and probably do so for Favors too.

I also don't mind getting a low upside place holder seven footer to take JaVale's minutes if he gets dealt with the understanding a better solution is on the way. A Solomon Alabi type? People have mixed feelings about this, but if we get on a winning track, I still think DeMarcus Cousins eventually finds his way here. The dude has the potential to be a top three center. I'd trade JaVale and a package around him for Cousins tomorrow. Then, if we're lucky, we'd land Davis in the lottery and he, Cousins, and Booker would actually form one of the best young front courts in the league.

I would trade Vesely and JaVale for Cousins.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

McGee is as good as gone. Any starting center we can get for him is fine with me. Id package just about any player but wall with him for a good upgrade.

As for Seraphin remember something Booker is also under sized. 6'6 without shoes, 6'9 wingspan. A starting lineup featuring him and 6'9 Seraphin makes our front court tiny by NBA standards.

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 01:19 AM ----------

you are likely right about him being a back up center.....good thing you need a good dependable back up center in the NBA. Back up center is his floor....he could most certainly develop into a serviceable starting center in this league.

As someone else pointed out earlier in this thread...he has pretty good touch. I also love how physical and mean he is. Seraphin doesn't back down.

There is a huge gap between shot creation and assisted/situational scoring. That can be mitigated or surpassed by a dominant defender and/or rebounder.

I dont see Seraphin getting the ball and beating his man one on one. I don't see him paying defense as a true center, he stays on his man but rarely alters shots in rotating out to driving players. So essentially I don't see a starter there.

I was listening to the dreadful first quarter on Lakers radio network. Mikel Thompson was killing them, talking about how dumb the Wizards players are; how bad their offensive system is, "they just run isolation, its horrible!" I assumed they had lost this game, but it was nice to hear the radio a couple hours later when they were raging at the loss.

Right now, Seraphin is flashing as a post defender--very valuable no doubt. But I agree with Destino, if we ever see Seraphin become the kind of offensive player that can you can run isolation post up plays for and watch him go, that day is probably a loooooong way away.

I also agree that he's all about muscling with his man and doesn't rotate as well as Booker and McGee do in order to produce a more general and complete defense of the paint.

Seraphin is basically starting to fulfill much the same role that Turiaf was brought in for. We need a strong bodied post up defender and it looks like Seraphin can do it. He can guard good, powerful bigs one on one which is how Kendrick Perkins made his way in the league. But that's a role player, not a great starting option because of the lack of offense.

I wonder how good Seraphin would be in a heavy pick and roll offense? His picks are pretty awesome and he's a good athlete.

Doesnt he have like atleast 1 moving pick / illegal screen a game though? lol. I just want to see consistency from him.

He doesn't just set screens. He hits with them. He'll get called from time to time just to keep him in line, but honestly, I'd rather him keep hitting and getting called occasionally then setting the no contact screens McGee and Vesely do.

Haha... Yea he does throw his whole body into those screens. I got nothing against seraphin. I just don't think he is a starter. He is a serviceable backup. I think that wall and McGee are the only starters on the team. Nick young would be if he decided to pass every once in a while. Like last night! But I just can't see that happening. One can hope though. Booker, I'm not sold on yet. I think him and ny are super subs that should get good minutes. But then again as I was saying earlier in this season, you can only play 1 dumbass on the court at a time. So young, McGee, or Blatche. But not all 3. That's a recipe for disaster.

I swear I have watched just about every Wizards game this year on TV with the exception of the late starting west coast games....and last night's game.:redpunch:

The best part was that there were so many band wagon laker fans on hand to watch them lose. I wish Ted would release a statement "Thanks for your money Laker fans, I hope you enjoyed the show"

In an ideal world, Trevor Booker is the first big man of the bench.

Booker, McGee and Wall are the only players on our team who can contribute legitimately to a winning team.

I'm a Vesely fan but he seems outmatched at PF and he can't play SF due to his limited offense. Again, in an ideal world Vesely comes into next season with a well developed 18 foot jumpshot, because even now how he can contribute on defensive end with his high IQ. He's just an enormous black hole on offense.

If Booker can get his rebounding up and consistently around 10 a night then he's a starting caliber player for a winning basketball team. Right now both his offense and rebounding is a roller coaster ride... though I suspect a lot of that has to do with this coaching staffs lack of commitment to this teams bigs. They know that if they make one mistake their minutes vanish and some games they'll get the ball and others they'll just be ignored.

Huge day in college BB today

- Perry Jones went off for 31 & 11 today on 11-14 shooting from the field.

- Meyers Leonard had 18 & 6 on 9 of 11 shooting.

- Cody Zeller has 12 & 6 in the first half.

- Drummond had 14 & 10 with 3 blocks in just 27 minutes. Not bad against Syracuse. Lamb scored only 10 points in 40 minutes.

Kansas plays in a little bit. It should be on ESPN2

That's all of the good potential bigs in this draft class to play center except Anthony Davis, Tyler Zeller, and Jared Sullinger. UNC plays tomorrow at 12:00.

If you're in the McGee must go camp, you might be interested in watching these guys.

If Booker can get his rebounding up and consistently around 10 a night then he's a starting caliber player for a winning basketball team. Right now both his offense and rebounding is a roller coaster ride... though I suspect a lot of that has to do with this coaching staffs lack of commitment to this teams bigs. They know that if they make one mistake their minutes vanish and some games they'll get the ball and others they'll just be ignored.

Booker can be a starter if the SF and especially the C position cover for his lack of size.

I would be ok with a front court of Harrison Barnes, Trevor Booker and McGee.

I would be giddy if we somehow found a way to add Eric Gordon to that lineup.

Kansas is playing Baylor tomorrow in the semi finals at 7:30 on ESPNU. Thomas Robinson versus Perry Jones plus hopefully a sprinkling of Quincy Miller. I don't get ESPNU though.

Kentucky plays LSU at 1:00 and it'll be on ESPN3. Alabama plays Florida at 3:00, on ESPNU.

Should be good games. I'm rooting for another Florida Kentucky matchup on Saturday or Sunday, but the season series wasn't close between these teams, Kentucky winning in blow outs each time.

I want to see Brad Beal keep playing though.

In an ideal world, Trevor Booker is the first big man of the bench.

Booker, McGee and Wall are the only players on our team who can contribute legitimately to a winning team.

I'm a Vesely fan but he seems outmatched at PF and he can't play SF due to his limited offense. Again, in an ideal world Vesely comes into next season with a well developed 18 foot jumpshot, because even now how he can contribute on defensive end with his high IQ. He's just an enormous black hole on offense.

I like the hustle that I've seen out of Vesely and Singleton this year and don't think their rookie years have started off too different from Booker's. Booker started coming into his own last year around this time when Blatche and the rest of our bigs got hurt and we were forced to give him (and Crawford) significant minutes. I really think that all three of these players (Crawford Singleton and Vesely) can turn into good players on this team. I wouldn't act like they're guarantees to do so, but I'm not ready to count them out just yet. If we have a chance at Davis or Barnes, I'd jump at it and let the chips fall where they may, but I think our young players need time to grow and trust each other. And as that happens, we'll start seeing more success.

On a side note, I like Wittman a lot more than Flip, but thats not saying much. Just seeing the improvement that Wittman has them playing with in general has me thinking that if we get a coach better than him we could be doing a lot better. But I'm also wondering how much changing coaches hurts the development of our players. I know this is something we spoke about a lot in the NFL with the Redskins and Jason Campbell. I don't think its as much of a problem in the NBA because of its more of a player driven league, but I do wonder about how it affects younger players which this team mostly consists of, and in particular John Wall.

carla peay

‏ @ckpeay

League sources have confirmed that the #Wizards are getting a lot of interest in 7-footer JaVale McGee. #NBA trade deadline is March 15.

Other than Wittman no one should be surprised by this. Centers that can score in isolation situations, rebound well, and alter/block a ton of shots don't grow on trees. Most teams aren't stupid enough to lose sight of that because of an occasional "not top ten" highlight. A bad play is a bad play no matter how mundane or spectacular it might look, it all has the same effect.

Stats aren't everything but...

McGee amongst qualified centers:

6th in rebounds per 48

9th in points per game

2nd in blocks per 48

9th in double doubles

*Remember these are NBA stats, if you go to a different site or wait 5 minutes they are sure to change so take that with a grain of salt. Plus "qualified" can do crazy things.

Sadly the damage is done and at this point we have to get something for him because after the Wittman experience there is simply no reason for him to want any part of this team. Better teams willing to pay him are out there. I don't trust this coach or GM enough to expect much in return however.

Edited by Destino