Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

20 minutes ago, Destino said:

Parker is an excellent option off the bench.  If he accepted a contract that made sense for that role, I don't think he's a bad fit.  He's never going to be even an average defender but he is a gunner and there's room for that on every teams bench.  

You can always find 6'8 bench gunners who don't play defense in free agency for cheap.  It's one of the most replaceable positions.

Ernie needs to be fired ASAP.  A good GM needs to be hired.  No good GM would be fooled into paying anything for Parker, and a new GM wouldn't feel any pressure to save face over the awful Porter trade by overpaying for a couple of replacement level guys.

21 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Drives me nuts that the team didn't tank for Zion.  They dumped salary and jettisoned young talent and still didn't tank even though Wall is going to be out for well over a year.  This was a terrible way to handle this abortion of a season.

Did you really expect competence? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Drives me nuts that the team didn't tank for Zion.  They dumped salary and jettisoned young talent and still didn't tank even though Wall is going to be out for well over a year.  This was a terrible way to handle this abortion of a season.

Teds fault.  He's made it clear that they had goals and that failing to meet them could trigger changes.  Brooks and Ernie have no choice but to try to win under those directives.  

The only upside now is that Ted reacts to this failure by firing Ernie.  I won't believe that until it happens.

• Like 1

It's to the point where I can't even watch Zion Williamson's games.  It is painful to think of him ending up on the Knicks.  Or worse... Cleveland.  I am going to give up on basketball if they win the lottery again.

Who am I kidding, the Wizards would have ruined and/or wasted Zion.  But unfortunately for him, Cleveland, New York, and Phoenix are all just as bad as us, if not worse.  He better hope Chicago, Atlanta, or Memphis wins.

I need something big and very positive to happen this offseason to get me to reinvest in the NBA.  I need the Warriors to be broken up and I need the Wizards to fire Grunfeld and hit an unlikely home run with the draft pick.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Destino said:

Teds fault.  He's made it clear that they had goals and that failing to meet them could trigger changes.  Brooks and Ernie have no choice but to try to win under those directives.  

The only upside now is that Ted reacts to this failure by firing Ernie.  I won't believe that until it happens.

Ernie will probably try firing Brooks if Ted doesn't finally make the move before that. 

12 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Zion will be a mediocre talent in the NBA. 

I’m not saying he’s a bust, but undersized (in terms of height) power forwards largely relying on strength in college aren’t usually safe bets.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Destino said:

I’m not saying he’s a bust, but undersized (in terms of height) power forwards largely relying on strength in college aren’t usually safe bets.   

Zion will walk onto an NBA court and immediately be one of the strongest players in the league.  In a game of lanky athletes, he has NFL 3-4 base end size and strength and he's only 18.  He's pretty much a combination of Charles Barkley and Andre Drummond but with a 40 inch vertical.  Guys like LeBron and Harden dominate the NBA with a similar combination of agility, explosiveness, and strength as Zion.  The game is easy for them.

It's important not to overthink him.  He's the biggest no-brainer #1 since Anthony Davis.  He's a transcendent talent and future top five player if he stays healthy.  He would have been incredible if paired with even a diminished John Wall.  We ****ed the dog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Zion will walk onto an NBA court and immediately be one of the strongest players in the league.  In a game of lanky athletes, he has NFL 3-4 base end size and strength and he's only 18.  He's pretty much a combination of Charles Barkley and Andre Drummond but with a 40 inch vertical.  Guys like LeBron and Harden dominate the NBA with a similar combination of agility, explosiveness, and strength as Zion.  The game is easy for them.

It's important not to overthink him.  He's the biggest no-brainer #1 since Anthony Davis.  He's a transcendent talent and future top five player if he stays healthy.  He would have been incredible if paired with even a diminished John Wall.  We ****ed the dog.

Like I said, I’m not saying he’s a bust. There’s a lot of reason to think he’ll be special, his athleticism is off the charts and there’s no question that he can score the basketball.  He’s also aggressive and forces the issue, which is s requirement for players that might go on to be stars in the nba.  

That being said, the Harden and Lebron comparisons are wayoff.  I don’t see anything from Zion that suggests he’ll be capalabe of being a primary ball handler.  He’s not that sort of highly skilled well rounded player.  

1 hour ago, Destino said:

That being said, the Harden and Lebron comparisons are wayoff.  I don’t see anything from Zion that suggests he’ll be capalabe of being a primary ball handler.  He’s not that sort of highly skilled well rounded player.   

There wasn't a lot of reason to think James Harden would become the kind of monster scorer that he is now, until about four years into his NBA career, much less as a college freshman.

Zion has the same freight train quality on his drives as Harden and LeBron.  And John Wall, for that matter.  There is a key difference between them in that he is much more of a traditional big and they're primarily guards/wings, but you will still see Zion eurostepping around the court and finishing below the rim too.  But I take the point that you are much more likely to see Zion scoring on putbacks and rim runs than step backs and dribble pull ups.  And he's certainly not in their world as a passer.  But then they're also not in his world as a rim protector and rebounder.

Harden is the SG version of the player, LeBron is the SF version, Zion is the PF version, etc.  Having an overwhelming combination of speed and strength allows you to dominate the NBA.

• Thanks 1

I still can’t believe the Timberwolves traded Markkanen and LaVine (who I know didn’t play tonight) to rent Jimmy Butler for a year.  If Markkanen was on a good team everyone would know about that boy named Lauri within two years time.  You don’t trade away seven foot power forwards that can shoot from anywhere and snag more than 8 rebounds a game for nothing.  That’s what Thom Thibbs did and that’s why his dumbass is smiling on espn talking nba basketball instead of coaching.  He destroyed the Timberwolves future.  That team is dead.

40 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

So we couldnt beat chicago who was without their 2 best players?

Kinda embarrassing for a team actively trying to win games 

Good.

Losing out seems like the only long shot chance that Ted finally cleans out the front office. Again, still a long shot. But anything resembling ok play and he'll grab on it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Destino said:

I still can’t believe the Timberwolves traded Markkanen and LaVine (who I know didn’t play tonight) to rent Jimmy Butler for a year.  If Markkanen was on a good team everyone would know about that boy named Lauri within two years time.  You don’t trade away seven foot power forwards that can shoot from anywhere and snag more than 8 rebounds a game for nothing.  That’s what Thom Thibbs did and that’s why his dumbass is smiling on espn talking nba basketball instead of coaching.  He destroyed the Timberwolves future.  That team is dead. 

That was a disastrous trade and Thibs was a horrible GM.  But they're not dead yet.  They addressed one of their main problems by firing Thibs.  They're going to get a few mulligans due to having one of the premier young talents in the league.  All it will take for them is to hang on to KAT and get lucky in free agency by having max cap space when another one of the premier young talents in the NBA hits free agency.

27 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Good.

Losing out seems like the only long shot chance that Ted finally cleans out the front office. Again, still a long shot. But anything resembling ok play and he'll grab on it.

Losing out is literally this franchise's only hope of ever getting better.  Ernie will never build a legitimately good team.  It just will not happen.  He's a god awful GM in a league where the quality of your GM is almost everything.  Firing him is the only chance the team has to get better and yet he will never be fired if he can keep stringing together 40 win seasons.

Plus the team needs to hit a home run with this draft pick.  The higher the better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Losing out is literally this franchise's only hope of ever getting better.  Ernie will never build a legitimately good team.  It just will not happen.  He's a god awful GM in a league where the quality of your GM is almost everything.  Firing him is the only chance the team has to get better and yet he will never be fired if he can keep stringing together 40 win seasons.

Plus the team needs to hit a home run with this draft pick.  The higher the better.

Right. 

Now this isn't the Skins FO where you know Snyder has Allen but also people like Larry and Wylie who surround him with what he wants to hear.

If Ted finally makes the right move. A new GM should get to keep or replace everything in that front office from the scouts to whoever is posting the fashion show on twitter before games.