Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I've figured out how to fix the team.  Bear with me:

Step 1 - Fire Ernie.  Duh.

Step 2 - Trade Beal to Dallas for their draft pick and Wesley Matthews plus ballast (only need 1.8 million to salary match).

Step 3 - Trade Otto to Brooklyn for their draft pick and Ballast (Faried + Carroll).

Step 4 - Shut John down for the year.

Step 5 - Find somewhere to dump Dwight for an expiring.  Trade him back to the Lakers for Ivica Zubac lol.

Start Tomas and Oubre and promote Troy Brown to sixth man.  Don't care what happens at the other spots so long as they lose games.

Haul from all of that is:

Matthews = 18 million expiring

Faried = 14 million expiring

Carroll = 15 million expiring

+

3 picks that will likely fall in the top ten.  Two of which should be top five (Ours and Dallas's)

Offseason:

- Let every UFA walk.

- Use ours and the Dallas pick to move up to #1 for Zion Williamson.

- We'll get to the Brooklyn pick in a second.

Our cap situation would be:

John - 37.8 million

Mahinmi - 15.5 million

Oubre - 9.6 million hold

Sato - 5.9 million hold

Bryant - 1.9 million hold

Brown - 3.2 million

That's 74 million in commitments for six players.  Holds for ~ 8 million for two rookie scale deals.  And then 7 min contract holds is ~ 6 million.

We'd have ~ 88 million in commitments going into free agency.  Salary cap projection is around 109-110 million, so that's a little over 20 million in cap space.

OK, now there are two ways we can approach free agency.  We can go after a couple of second tier FAs who are nice role players like DeMarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Khris Middleton, Mirotic, etc. and probably get two of them.

Or we can shoot for the moon and use the Brooklyn pick to dump Mahinmi and create max contract room and go after a big fish like Porzingis, Durant, Kawhi Leonard, or Klay Thompson.  Doesn't matter which, any of those guys would fit perfectly.  Leonard or Durant would vault us into contention.

Pretty sure if we struck out on all the big fish we could still sign DeMarcus Cousins and Eric Bledsoe.  Might not even have to use the Brooklyn pick to dump Mahinmi in that outcome since Cousins is surprisingly cheap.  Tell me that a team of those two plus Wall and Zion Williamson isn't sexy.  Still have Troy Brown, Oubre, Sato, and Bryant too.

Stevemcqueen1 for GM.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I've figured out how to fix the team.  Bear with me:

Stevemcqueen1 for GM.

Id rather have Zion then Otto, but can't support losing to get him. 

I hate loses, it breeds bad habits and tension.  How we gonna explain in Teds take to now tank after accumulating this roster this season, underachieving like this?  The culture of losing needs to change or the new players will lose two.

Do have a list of potentional gms we can pull from?  

54 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we don't get a pick or a really good young player for Otto... then Ernie is a bigger moron than we thought.  If it's Sacramento, I want Cauley-Stein as a minimum.

Nobody's giving you anything of value for Porter.  At best, you'll get somebody on a (near) max that is also struggling with their situation.

Maybe you could get Wiggins or Tyler Johnson or something like that.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Nobody's giving you anything of value for Porter.  At best, you'll get somebody on a (near) max that is also struggling with their situation.

Maybe you could get Wiggins or something like that. 

Nah.  Otto is going to garner interest.  He's actually a good player.  Wiggins is not.

Otto got that max deal because we matched it.  There will be multiple teams that want him.

Clown move by the ref to T John up for that.  He deserves to get roasted for missing such an obvious foul.

"Come on man!" got a ****ing T.  lol.

he dont get it

I guess talking about the refs is easier than explaining why you were a spectator under the basket

i love Wall, but he gotta shut the **** up on this one. especially when he's struggling to crack 70% from the line

Edited by StillUnknown

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we don't get a pick or a really good young player for Otto... then Ernie is a bigger moron than we thought.  If it's Sacramento, I want Cauley-Stein as a minimum.

Why would the Kings give up their young and and athletic center who is on a rookie contract and played really good to start the season?

Otto doesn’t have much value at all in this league. Not because he isn’t a good player but because the Wizards are killing his value. Otto don’t even play late in games anymore, yet you asking the Kings to give up their very good and young big? Be realistic.