Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think he's a ****ing ****ty coach.  He might talk the talk in between games but he's a ****ing godawful in game coach and I think he literally forgot to rotate Otto in the second half and was flailing around to cover his ass post game.  There is absolutely zero excuse for playing Jason Smith in the third and fourth like he did.

Otto was aggressive tonight.  Brooks fell asleep.  He sucks.  It is what it is.  This franchise's leadership is dreck.  The players would be far better under better management and coaching.  Leonsis doesn't care about the Wizards and his neglect of the franchise has left it in the charge of mediocre minds with no vision.  No ability to compete with the big dogs of the NBA.

That seems very unlikely.  Even at the levels I've played at, if there is a regular rotation and he misses the time to sub Porter in, one of the assistants will say something to remind him.  That even happens at the high school level.  For it not to have been intentional would have been a multi-point failure among the whole coaching staff.

(And even as a player, you go to one of the assistant coaches and say, hey, am I going back in.)

It is certainly possible that the risk of taking the loss was worth the potential upside of sending a message.  The reason you leave the other player out there is to send a message to Porter in hopes that Porter changes and longer term the team is better.  To air it out in a post-game press conference is a little odd though.  Normally, you just go with, we thought person X gave us a better chance tonight to win.

I obviously can't say anything about what they do in practice and talk about, but my take is that Porter has to be more active on the offensive end.  Going in standing in a corner isn't enough today in the NBA (for the most part).  He needs to take a page about out the Korver or Reddick book and be active setting off ball picks.  Cleveland and the Sixers both run/ran similar offenses where there isn't a lot of designed action and if you watch Korver and Reddick play, they are very active in trying to set off ball picks for teammates or using stationary teammates as off ball picks (which then can then help open them up for shots).

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

First two games are a terrible omen for the season: losing must win home games due two a couple of crucial defensive and rebounding breakdowns in the final minute.  Dwight Howard missing time over a nebulous injury and doing clown **** like not dressing for the game.  And a ****ing West Coast trip looming.

We're going to start out 1-3 at best and the locker room is going to begin fraying.

If the first two games of the season are "must win" games, it's gonna be a looooong season.

I didn't believe any of this 50-win (or more) nonsense people were buying.   This team simply doesn't have winning DNA.  It just doesn't.  Don't expect anything, you'll never be disappointed.

Edited by justice98

Otto is what he is...can't believe people actually favor him on this team over Jimmy Butler.  For all of Butler's issues, there's not a chance in hell he's going to become invisible on the floor and we have to spend time analyzing stats like deflections, post-game, to see what he actually contributed on the floor as a max player.  Sure, a locker room with Wall, Beal, Keef, Howard, and Butler is as combustible as a lit cigarette near an oil spill, but it would be the most talented team we've EVER had take the floor since the 70s/80s.  Grunfeld would be an idiot to not explore bringing in JB, even if it's for one year.  There's a great chance this team could be 1-6 by the time the road trip is over.  Not sure why people expected more out of this team...Brooks is a WORSE coach than Randy Wittman, and that's saying something.  Can't even beat short-handed teams on the tail end of back-to-backs AT HOME.  The fact that the Raps rested Kawhi tells you all you need to know about what teams around the league think of the Wizards. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Brooks is gonna lose the team with that bull****.

He sounds like a coach on the hotseat in game 2 of a 82 game season. 

Sounds like a below .500 team on it's way to a horrible season by anyone's standards and a new coach and an extension for the worst gm in the league. 

I think Butlers Attitude is exactly what we need. We have the players to compete. But literally everyone us passive except for Wall Beal and Oubre. One of which is an idiot on the floor. If we cant be the best team we can be the meanest and Butler would fit that, I think. 

I been tired if Otto, but you cant say him not shooting the ball is his fault. Yes hes passive, but ****ing Brooks is the coach and hes blaming the players. That's all I need to know about him and where this team will be this season. 

• Like 1

If we're going to shake things up, there has to be someone aside from Butler out there.  That guy is a selfish jerk and a terrible teammate.  He's got a ton of mileage on his knees and he's burning his whole team to the ground just to get a five year contract extension.

Also, there is no way I want to trade for a problem child like Jimmy Butler with Ernie Grunfeld running the show.  There is no way this FO could hold him accountable.

Ernie shouldn't get to make any more deals to distract the fans and media and keep his job for another year.  He's got to go before any shake up can occur.

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we're going to shake things up, there has to be someone aside from Butler out there.  That guy is a selfish jerk and a terrible teammate.  He's got a ton of mileage on his knees and he's burning his whole team to the ground just to get a five year contract extension.

Also, there is no way I want to trade for a problem child like Jimmy Butler with Ernie Grunfeld running the show.  There is no way this FO could hold him accountable.

Ernie shouldn't get to make any more deals to distract the fans and media and keep his job for another year.  He's got to go before any shake up can occur.

FO doesnt hold anyone accountable now. The Butler live is taking into account Brooks and Ernie are gonna be here and there is nothing I can do about it. 

Basically if we are gonna be an under coached team with a poor attitude let's use that to our advantage. If that's even possible. Could just be creating another problem. But in all fairness as we are constructed we will not win through coaching and if anything it's getting in the way if talent. Brooks likes players he can just put on the floor and play ball with. I feel Wall and Butler would work well together like that. Or better than Otto Wall do currently. 

This could be ****ing stupid too though

21 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This team, as constructed, is at it's ceiling.  They have been for the past 3 seasons.  Jimmy Butler is a top 15-20 player IN THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW.  Adding him with Wall and Beal, and you then have 3 of the top-25 players in the NBA on the same roster.  Can't say that about any other team outside of Golden State.  Who honestly cares if Butler is a selfish jerk?  Dude leaves everything on the floor and he would mesh perfectly with Wall and Beal.  Both of those guys are wired completely differently than KAT and Wiggins.  I'd love to add him to the mix because I truly think this team would have enough talent to bully their way to the ECF and maybe get to the finals.  If he's not added, we're looking at another 42-46 win season...again. 

38 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I don't know how anyone can be invested in this team as long as Grunfeld is around.

Caps SC win has really made me chill regarding DC sports.  I'm good for now...

5 hours ago, PeterMP said:

I obviously can't say anything about what they do in practice and talk about, but my take is that Porter has to be more active on the offensive end.  Going in standing in a corner isn't enough today in the NBA (for the most part).  He needs to take a page about out the Korver or Reddick book and be active setting off ball picks.  Cleveland and the Sixers both run/ran similar offenses where there isn't a lot of designed action and if you watch Korver and Reddick play, they are very active in trying to set off ball picks for teammates or using stationary teammates as off ball picks (which then can then help open them up for shots).

Standing in the corner is usually by design.  Teams move players positioned on the wings all over the place, but any team that has a point guard driving at the rim will usually have players glued to the corners.  It’s the highest percentage three point shot and an easy location to kick the ball out to should the driving player fail to get a good shot at the rim.  

Using and setting off ball screen is also typically by design and not just made up on the fly.  At least it is early in the shot clock.  Otherwise you’d have guys running through the lane while Wall is trying to drive.  One of the major differences in the offense when Wall is out, is more cutting.  I assumed that was because they are trying to space the floor and clear defenders out of the lane as much as possible for Wall.  

I wish someone had asked Brooks how Otto is supposed to crash down on defensive rebounds, and leak out in transition at the same time.  He wants Otto playing faster, but Otto is also a player the team relies on to get rebounds.  If he’s boxing out and running towards his own rim, then he’s going to be well behind any transition play.  No one can do both.

As for Otto and Butler, I’d make that trade immediately but i doubt the Wolves would.  Butler fits on this hero ball team much better than Otto.  His personality is also a better fit because Wall doesn’t seem to work well with timid players. Beal is the type of guy that tried to fight Draymond and Morris’ rep is well known.  Those are the two guys Wall seems to favor on the court over everyone else.  Butler fits right in with that friendly, caring, and soft spoken group of players.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Can someone tell me how Brooks at 7 mil per year, is better than what we got from Randy Wittman?  FWIW, I think Wittman was a far-superior coach who got his players to buy in to what he was selling...

Especially playoff Wittman.

Playoff Witt may be the best coach the Wiz ever had.

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Why would Minny want Otto? (Anyone else feel Otto’s need isn’t with Wall but with Brooks?)

I don’t think they’d want three highly paid players that are too passive.  Though normally I’d say Otto is damn near ideal as a third guy.  He never needs the ball and he is an instant upgrade on both ends simply by sharing the floor with his team.  He makes very few mistakes and a lot of plays that help.  In an offense with some structure he’d be fantastic.  I think he’d help a team like the Bucks too. 

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Standing in the corner is usually by design.  Teams move players positioned on the wings all over the place, but any team that has a point guard driving at the rim will usually have players glued to the corners.  It’s the highest percentage three point shot and an easy location to kick the ball out to should the driving player fail to get a good shot at the rim.  

Using and setting off ball screen is also typically by design and not just made up on the fly.  At least it is early in the shot clock.  Otherwise you’d have guys running through the lane while Wall is trying to drive.  One of the major differences in the offense when Wall is out, is more cutting.  I assumed that was because they are trying to space the floor and clear defenders out of the lane as much as possible for Wall.  

Here's a piece that Lowe did on Korver (focusing on picks with Love) when Lebron has the ball (and clearly if Lebron has the ball, him driving the lane is a key part of the Cavs offense).

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23445056/zach-lowe-kyle-korver-kevin-love-cleveland-cavaliers-nba-playoffs

""If I see Bron talking to Kevin, I know what's coming," Korver says. "Other times, I'm the last to know. It's not like he can call out the play. You have to hide it.""

"Those three together are just really, really good," says Nate McMillan, the Pacers coach who dealt with them for seven games in the first round. "There really isn't anything you can plan for. They just kind of play random basketball."

"Korver and Love would smile hearing McMillan describe what they do as "random." Aside from that set pindown play, they react in the moment to how the defense approaches them -- and which two defenders are involved."

"There are times when Korver just kind of runs and hits people, like a human bumper car. Without willing partners, it doesn't really accomplish much. (Keep an eye on him on the left side:)"

"I still hear Bud in my head saying, 'Quit moving so much!'" Korver says, laughing. But the Cavs have concluded they are more unpredictable with Korver in motion.

"This team wants me to kind of run around," Korver says. "So I have to quiet Bud's voice down."

The best time to do it is actually early in the shot clock because if nothing happens, the player can always drive then and the shooter can bleed to the corner.

(Watch the play where they say watch the left slide at that link.  First, there is some planned action between Korver and Love.  I don't think there is anything in particularly planned there just some pick setting and movement.  That doesn't do anything.  Korver then steps out even further to try to set a pick for JR Smith, who doesn't really do anything with it (and I'll guarantee you is completely unplanned).  Then getting late in the shot clock and Lebron just starts to drive, and Korver heads to the corner.)

Reddick is also well known for just keeping moving.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

So let's say you trade for Jimmy Butler.  The summer comes and he hits free agency demanding a five year deal.  What do you do?

If he works, give it to him if you can. If he cant go with a FA or your rookie. Otto ain't working with either Wall or Brooks....or both. Unless you move Brooks he ain't going to. 

I would prefer to keep the team and move Brooks and Ernie. But I ain't getting that.