Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

It is called being a good fan and sticking with your team through thick and thin. DC knows nothing about this....we have some of the worst fair weather fans in all of sports...it is embarrassing. See exhibit A

Im going to disagree with this. DC has some of the best fans in all of sports as well. Ive put up with watching the Skins disappoint me every year of my life. Wizards are no different. I understand if people in the area cant get behind both. It can take years off your life ( and im not even including the Caps). It really is quite hard to follow two teams that are worse than perennial losers. They are perennial heart breakers. How many games do we get to see the skins lose by 3 or less points to inferior teams? Or the Wiz lose to crab dribbling. Or the countless bone head plays/situations. (double timeout, swinging gate, ZORN, sign banning, deon sanders, the gun incident, Arenas knee Armageddon, Albert Haynesworth, etc.) Im sure you can understand. Ive stuck with both teams through thick and thin, and although i dont agree with most of what the wiz or skins do personnel wise (prior to recent additions/trades after February 2011) I still stick by them.

I say we trade out.....

I LOVE williams, but if we land the #1 i think we trade out for sure and build up some picks... To me there is no #1 cut choice...

Who do you guys want ?

you have to get value to trade out. This is a weak draft...highly unlikely you get much value for a lottery pick in this draft. If I did any trading, I'd package the 2nd round pick and 18 overall to get back into the lottery to take someone like Jimmer, Bismach, or one of the top Euros if they drop.

My wish list in this draft goes like this:

Williams

Irving

Kanter

Vesely

Leonard

Bismack

Valanciunas

Leonard

Only way I'd trade out of our lottery pick is if we could package it with a couple players like Blatche/McGee/Young for an impact PF/C....but that isn't going to happen.

---------- Post added May-15th-2011 at 09:34 PM ----------

Im going to disagree with this. DC has some of the best fans in all of sports as well. Ive put up with watching the Skins disappoint me every year of my life. Wizards are no different. I understand if people in the area cant get behind both. It can take years off your life ( and im not even including the Caps). It really is quite hard to follow two teams that are worse than perennial losers. They are perennial heart breakers. How many games do we get to see the skins lose by 3 or less points to inferior teams? Or the Wiz lose to crab dribbling. Or the countless bone head plays/situations. (double timeout' date=' swinging gate, ZORN, sign banning, deon sanders, the gun incident, Arenas knee Armageddon, Albert Haynesworth, etc.) Im sure you can understand. Ive stuck with both teams through thick and thin, and although i dont agree with most of what the wiz or skins do personnel wise (prior to recent additions/trades after February 2011) I still stick by them.[/quote']

funny how Wizards games are empty unless we are playing the Heat, Celtics, or Lakers...and then we are outnumbered. Yet when we had Arenas/Butler/Jamison and were making the playoffs....that place was jumping with Wizards "fans"

I still remember the playoff game against the Rangers from two or three years ago where the caps lost 1-0. We had gotten a power play or something at the end of the game and were threatening to tie....everyone in my section was sitting on their asses not making any noise whatsoever. I think DC fans suck in general. You do have your good ones...they are usually strictly skins fans and bandwagon for all the other sports.

funny how Wizards games are empty unless we are playing the Heat, Celtics, or Lakers...and then we are outnumbered. Yet when we had Arenas/Butler/Jamison and were making the playoffs....that place was jumping with Wizards "fans"

I still remember the playoff game against the Rangers from two or three years ago where the caps lost 1-0. We had gotten a power play or something at the end of the game and were threatening to tie....everyone in my section was sitting on their asses not making any noise whatsoever. I think DC fans suck in general. You do have your good ones...they are usually strictly skins fans and bandwagon for all the other sports.

Realistically, half if not more than half of the games this year were unwatchable. Last year was even worse. DC fans watched our best player out of any sport fall from grace faster than anyone could imagine. Then we watched management trade a 5th overall pick for two guys who were no longer on the team after one season. Basically, if you suck for a long period of time and/or put up some seriously terrible performances day in and day out, you can expect no one to show up. This is no different anywhere else. The problem is, our teams have been terrible for a long long time.

If we trade out and end up with another Foye and Miller scenario, I'll be extremely pissed. Granted that's not likely to happen since that trade was made because of a miss-guided belief that this team could win with Gil, Antawn and Caron.

I'd rather reach on a lottery pick with some upside.

If we trade out and end up with another Foye and Miller scenario, I'll be extremely pissed. Granted that's not likely to happen since that trade was made because of a miss-guided belief that this team could win with Gil, Antawn and Caron.

I'd rather reach on a lottery pick with some upside.

if Grunfeld pulls another Foye/Miller scenario, I may need bail money

the worst worst team did win the lottery....when SA took David Robinson.

---------- Post added May-15th-2011 at 10:50 PM ----------

Realistically' date=' half if not more than half of the games this year were unwatchable. [/quote']

and this is coming from a guy who watched how many games last year? Because I watched the majority of them...and most of them were very watchable....we showed up against really good teams like the Celtics and the Heat all year long; John Wall had one of the best rookie season of a Wizard/Bullet ever; we got to watch the emergence of Jordan Crawford; Watched Nick Young finally turn on the light. I thought this team was very entertaining....we didn't win too many games, but they were entertaining.

Basically, if you suck for a long period of time and/or put up some seriously terrible performances day in and day out, you can expect no one to show up. This is no different anywhere else. The problem is, our teams have been terrible for a long long time.

The Wizards recently went through a streak where we made the playoffs every year for 4 straight years....that isn't really terrible. We've had three bad seasons in a row....that is life in the NBA. Even the Lakers and Celtics had 10 year spans of not being very good....the Celtics were bad for a long time!

The Cavs just had one of the worst seasons in NBA history and lost their franchise player...yet they still pack the house every game. You remember when the Redsox were terrible before they broke the curse...their fans still went to the games.

Our fans suck as a whole...plain and simple. Half the damn people from our metro area weren't even born here.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/5/15/2171998/nba-draft-lottery-history#storyjump

To review, the team with the fourth-worst record has never won the NBA Draft Lottery. It has picked...

Second twice

Third three times

Fourth twice

Fifth seven times

Sixth three times

In other words, based on history, expect the No. 5 pick

Thats about right. I'd expect a team from outside the top 4 to get inside the top 3, and then have the other teams to kinda go somewhat in order.

I just looked at your home record to support my point, ....I knew we were competitive at home, but i didn't realize we were only one game away from having a winning record (I'm thinking back to the first Miami game where we pretty much had the game in the bag and blew it at the end.....although it says a lot that we hung with a team like that deep into the 4th) 20-21...not bad. It is expected for a young inexperienced team to lose on the road....experience will correct that.

I expect us to have a winning record at the phone book next year and hopefully improve exponentially on the road.

---------- Post added May-15th-2011 at 10:50 PM ----------

and this is coming from a guy who watched how many games last year? Because I watched the majority of them...and most of them were very watchable....we showed up against really good teams like the Celtics and the Heat all year long; John Wall had one of the best rookie season of a Wizard/Bullet ever; we got to watch the emergence of Jordan Crawford; Watched Nick Young finally turn on the light. I thought this team was very entertaining....we didn't win too many games, but they were entertaining.

Umm... i watched almost every game last year. In fact, i believe i posted in more of the game threads here on extremeskins than you did. Dont call out my fanhood. Many of them were not watchable. Unless you enjoyed watching Blatche try his patented crossover/spin turnover move for 4 months. Or Javale try running jumpers every time he touched the ball. John Wall was the lone bright spot for most of the season. And it wasnt until we traded for Crawford did the team seem to have any momentum going into next season. He was a great addition to this team. We almost broke the record for the most road losses in a row. Thats a fact. So what if we played the C's and Heat hard every once in a while. We looked like a D league team against the Spurs and the Lakers and many others. Nick Young is still the same player he was before the season started. He is fools gold. He is a 6th man at best. NJ is a chucker who never passes the ball, or even remotely gets teammates involved in the game. The team played light years better with Crawford starting over him. I wouldnt consider that many games entertaining. But many of them were disappointing.

Umm... i watched almost every game last year. In fact' date=' i believe i posted in more of the game threads here on extremeskins than you did. Dont call out my fanhood. Many of them were not watchable. Unless you enjoyed watching Blatche try his patented crossover/spin turnover move for 4 months. Or Javale try running jumpers every time he touched the ball. John Wall was the lone bright spot for most of the season. And it wasnt until we traded for Crawford did the team seem to have any momentum going into next season. He was a great addition to this team. We almost broke the record for the most road losses in a row. Thats a fact. So what if we played the C's and Heat hard every once in a while. We looked like a D league team against the Spurs and the Lakers and many others. Nick Young is still the same player he was before the season started. He is fools gold. He is a 6th man at best. NJ is a chucker who never passes the ball, or even remotely gets teammates involved in the game. The team played light years better with Crawford starting over him. I wouldnt consider that many games entertaining. But many of them were disappointing.[/quote']

Based on what you've said...I'm calling bull****! I don't believe you watched almost all the games this year based on the comments you've made. Although Blatche was still pretty terrible this year, it wasn't because of his "patented crossover/spin turnover" as you put it....he really didn't do that nearly as much this year as in years passed...his main problem this year is he was a black hole and rarely gave up the ball...even if that meant throwing up an awful shot while being double teamed. Blatche had a lot of success two years ago after the Jamison trade because he wasn't drawing too many double teams. This year when teams would double team him, he didn't handle it well and either put up lousy shots or turned the ball over. Nick Young was a major bright spot after the Gilbert trade...he proved he could be a second or third scoring option and had the best year of his career so far. It is a shame he was injured down the stretch....I like Crawford much more as the back up pg/6th man and Nick in the starting lineup. Crawford has the ability to play the 1 and the 2; he can create for himself or his teammates....Nick is strictly a scorer/wing defender.

I'm not calling out your "fanhood" I never even insinuated that...I just think you didn't watch as many game this year as you said you did. I wasn't in the most of the game threads because I'm a season ticket holder and I'm at a lot of the games. Other than that, I'm not a big fan of posting in this forums during the games because I WATCH THEM. Hard to watch a game when you have your face in the computer. If you watched as many games as you said you did...you wouldn't have said most of them were unwatchable...because that is very far from the truth. Besides the 20 home games we won, we played Boston and Miami very tough....we also got to see two rookies have triple doubles in the same year, that was very exciting.

Went back and looked....we won 23 games this year, and out of the 59 games we lost, 23 of them were single digit losses (that isn't even taking in consideration that the majority of game this season we were competitive until the 4th quarter, where we would implode....which is pretty characteristic of a young team.) That means that not even considering the 4th quarter implodes...we were competitive in more than half of the games this year. So I don't know what the hell you were watching? But I'm pretty sure most in here would agree that although the record doesn't reflect it....it was a pretty exciting year watching these guys grow. Frustrating at times...but that is going to happen when you have a team full of rookies.

Skin'em was here for most of the season Gator. I remember him posting during a significant amount of games.

doesn't mean he was watching them....there is a difference between having a game on in the background while you are posting in a message board and actually WATCHING the game.

I've got a sister who would tell you she watched all 16 Redskins games last year......she may have been in the room while the games were on...but she probably only saw a third of the season!

Skin'em's LOL part about Nick Young was on point it seems too me that he actually watched the games and not just look at high lights or parts of the games.

Nick Young was horrible! he scores in bunches but does nothing else, hes the worst teammate I have ever saw. Blatche looks like Jason kidd when it comes to passing the ball compared too Nick Young and Blatche rarely passes himself. When Crawford got here (WHO CHUCKS HIMSELF) he showed that you can still get your shots and get others involved.

you have to get value to trade out. This is a weak draft...highly unlikely you get much value for a lottery pick in this draft. If I did any trading, I'd package the 2nd round pick and 18 overall to get back into the lottery to take someone like Jimmer, Bismach, or one of the top Euros if they drop.

My wish list in this draft goes like this:

Williams

Irving

Kanter

Vesely

Leonard

Bismack

Valanciunas

Leonard

Only way I'd trade out of our lottery pick is if we could package it with a couple players like Blatche/McGee/Young for an impact PF/C....but that isn't going to happen.

---------- Post added May-15th-2011 at 09:34 PM ----------

I agree with your last two sentences (about DC fans)....and they're dumb, too. I remember watching a Caps game 2 seasons ago, and Ovechkin had 2 goals in the game. The game went to a SO, and he scored a goal. Hats were thrown on the ice....seriously.

Skin'em's LOL part about Nick Young was on point it seems too me that he actually watched the games and not just look at high lights or parts of the games.

this is coming from the guy who is still high on Blatche? Nick lead the team in scoring and did it efficiently. He is also the best perimeter defender on the team, the best three point shooter on the team, and he doesn't turn the ball over often. I do wish Nick rebounded better, but he is an important piece on this team and hopefully he continues to improve. If Nick was 29 years old making 10 million a year, I might be a little disappointed in his streaky shooting...but he is 25 on a rookie contract (former non lottery pick) so all thinks considered...I think he had a pretty damn good year.

Nick young was tied with Manu Ginobili at #6 for average points per game among 2 guards. Those in front of them were:

Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, Monta Ellis, Kevin Martin, and Joe Johnson

two other side notes to this list. Nick is the lowest paid player....Kmart and Monta Ellis make 11million dollars per year and the other three are max players (dwade slightly less than max); also...Nick Young has a better FG% than both Kmart and Ginobili.

Nick Young was horrible! he scores in bunches but does nothing else, hes the worst teammate I have ever saw. Blatche looks like Jason kidd when it comes to passing the ball compared too Nick Young and Blatche rarely passes himself. When Crawford got here (WHO CHUCKS HIMSELF) he showed that you can still get your shots and get others involved.

Blatche is actually an above average passer for a big man....too bad he doesn't do it more. The reason Crawford is able to get others involved more is because he is a natural PG in the NBA...Nick is not a PG...it isn't his job to get others involved...it is his job to score.....something he did pretty well this year.

---------- Post added May-16th-2011 at 09:26 AM ----------

I agree with your last two sentences (about DC fans)....and they're dumb, too. I remember watching a Caps game 2 seasons ago, and Ovechkin had 2 goals in the game. The game went to a SO, and he scored a goal. Hats were thrown on the ice....seriously.

I remember that game....I was watching.

Edited by Gator Bait

Its no question he can score NONE

Thats all he does and at times hurt the team when Young gets the ball its a 95% chance hes going too shoot it, the rest of the team can just stand around and do nothing.

When Young is not shooting what is he doing? You guessed it NOTHING, he doesn't even try to get a rebound, he doesn't try to pass, doesn't try too block shots, doesnt try to steal or cause any turnovers. Hes a very very overrated defender and I can't even really say that cause only Wizard fans think hes a defensive wizard.

Theres a ton of players in the league that can score. Most of them are on the bench because they do nothing else. Just because you can score 17 points per game doesn't make you a great player. When Young hurt the team was much much better.

Its no question he can score NONE

Thats all he does and at times hurt the team when Young gets the ball its a 95% chance hes going too shoot it, the rest of the team can just stand around and do nothing.

2 guards are supposed to score..that is there job. I might be frustrated at him taking the majority of the scoring opportunities if we had any other viable scoring options on the team...but we really didn't. I might also be mad if he was shooting 38% from the field...but he wasn't. 44% isn't bad from a 2 guard...if he has a decent look...he should take it. It is up to John Wall to get the other players involved.

doesn't try too block shots, doesnt try to steal or cause any turnovers. Hes a very very overrated defender and I can't even really say that cause only Wizard fans think hes a defensive wizard.

Blocked shots and steals are terrible indicators of a good defender....Gilbert Arenas and Javale McGee have proved that. I never said he was a defensive wizard (as you put it) but he is an above average defender and the best one on our team.

Theres a ton of players in the league that can score. Most of them are on the bench because they do nothing else. Just because you can score 17 points per game doesn't make you a great player. When Young hurt the team was much much better.

Well, as I pointed out....there are only 5 players at the 2 guard in the NBA (bench and starters) who average more PPG than Nick Young.

---------- Post added May-16th-2011 at 09:43 AM ----------

On another note:

I've read that Memphis may consider trading Rudy Gay so they can re-sign Marc Gasol.

My #1 option this summer would be to sign Marc Gasol....but if we weren't able to get him, I wouldn't be opposed to trading our lottery pick this year (if it isn't a top 4 pick) for Rudy Gay. Rudy Gay would be the perfect type of player to surround John Wall with. He can score (efficiently), he can rebound, and he can shoot threes. I haven't been a fan of Rudy Gay until this year (I thought memphis was stupid for giving him an 80 million dollar deal) but he really proved me (and all his other detractors) wrong this year. Before he got injured, he was having a great year.

Anyone else open to trading the pick for Gay?

Edited by Gator Bait

isn't his knee's busted? Don't need another arenas or Roy. I would trade give them Nick Young THE 6 best shooting guard in the league and ALL WIZARD DEFENSIVE PLAYER. MAKE IT HAPPEN ERNIE!!!

looked at injury says Shoulder but still would make that trade

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

isn't his knee's busted? Don't need another arenas or Roy. I would trade give them Nick Young THE 6 best shooting guard in the league and ALL WIZARD DEFENSIVE PLAYER. MAKE IT HAPPEN ERNIE!!!

no, had a shoulder injury...not a knee injury. Nick is a restricted free agent...so it would have to be a sign and trade. Although we don't know what the new rules on restricted free agents or sign and trades will be in the CBA...doubt memphis would do that trade anyway.

If we proposed that trade Memphis would laugh at us and keep it moving! don't need any selfish ball players on that good young team.

they need to drop Rudy's salary if they want to sign Gasol. The Lottery pick might get it done...depends on what other offers they have out there. I read a rumor they were talking to the Twolves about a Gay for Rubio swap.