Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Up tempo with a stretch four suits Wall, Beal, Porter, and Gortat. It really does. Sessions too. But maybe not anyone else on the roster. But the problem is we don't actually have a stretch four. Humphries can't command a defender on the perimeter and his release is so god damn slow that he allows defenders to cheat waaaaay off of him and still recover to contest his shot as it goes up. We're not actually getting the benefit of better floor spacing from Humphries

Im going to counterpoint and say that a stretch 4 only suits wall if he doesnt primarily sit on the perimeter. Witt has completely neutered Wall's ability as a phenominal passer with mediocre shooting ability. The last two years Wall had two screeners to work with when driving in the lane. His ability to decide to pass out to the perimeter, hit a roll man, take it to the glass, or spot up on the elbow is deadly. But now every single guy sits on the perimeter waiting for john's whip pass. I said it before and its becoming a huge problem, all the defense has to do to shut Wall down is hawk the passing lanes. Now that everone sits on the perimeter, the ball is in the air longer and is pretty much telegraphed.

In short, the 4 shouldnt sit on the perimeter. He should start at the elbow and be able to rotate to the perimeter in mismatch situations, or late circumstances where they roll to the open spot.

• Like 1

I'm starting to lean toward the "we need to make a move for the front court now" camp.  Even if that means parting with Gortat, this is bad.  We're trying to run and gun, and it feels like every good team we play in the East is bigger then us, and then also want to run.  Our interior defense is starting to scare the hell out of me.

Edited by Renegade7

So who does Grunfeld scapegoat for this dumpster fire?  I'm thinking it's Randy.  No way Ernie goes down for this disaster.  Something has to give because this team went from ending last season on a high note to a depressing situation that seems to be getting worse. 

Wall's awful month continues.  Hopefully December is better. 

This isn't good.

Kind of hoping Wall is hiding an injury at the moment

Would hate to think he's playing like this while healthy

Is there another coach in the league that sits his star player for as long as Randy sits Wall? Am I missing something? He's done this for years and it's never made sense to me.