Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Like most DC teams, these guys just seemed destined for inconsitency this year.  I'm furious watching opposing players drive through the middle of the paint against our defense for layups.  There's a mentality that allows that, and a mentality that stops that.

Edited by Renegade7

Yeah we've been really soft defensively. Gortat is the only big that makes an effort to stop the ball and our guards and wings have been **** on defense, frankly. Wall, Beal, and Porter are allowing easy penetration to their man when they're playing on the ball. Wall and Beal have been gambling too much and it's put the onus on stopping the ball on the bigs.

Nene's rim protection is so lazy. He never rotates to cover the ball carrier. Just stays glued to his man and decides to box him out as if the ball carrier is going to miss a free layup. It makes no sense because he is incredibly effective at switching and recovering on ball carriers out on the perimeter.

I'm willing to cut Beal some slack because he's rusty and was playing at an AS level before he got injured. But Wall is rested and healthy. He's not focused right now, he's throwing the ball away and chucking, and he's playing bad and lazy defense. The team can't win with him giving us this kind of effort.

Dare I say it? This defense has been Eddie Jordan-like.

The Warriors prove you can have a fast paced offense and also play great defense. We're just sucking on defense. Otto, Beal, and Wall need to be a lot better individually.

not sure its that simplistic. they have the players that allow them to play great defense. draymond green's versatility on defense is incredibly difficult to replicate.

Edited by StillUnknown

not sure its that simplistic. they have the players that allow them to play great defense. draymond green's versatility on defense is incredibly difficult to replicate.

True. But there is no reason that Wall, Beal, and Otto shouldn't be way better defensively than Curry, Thompson, and Barnes. But they've been way worse. Golden State's players just work and compete harder and they play smarter.

In theory, we should be able to throw out a Wall, Beal, Oubre, Porter, Gortat line up and have that be an elite defensive group that can match the level of play on defense of any small line up. But we're underachieving and I doubt that line up would actually be good.

Actually, at this point I want to see more of Oubre. He may make a lot of mistakes, but he plays with some fire on defense. We need his energy and attitude IMO. Someone that takes defending his match up personally.