Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/11/23/statistical-spotlight-washington-wizards-jared-dudley-plus-minus/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

How has Dudley performed thus far with Washington? He struggled initially, but has played very well in his last few games. He had 13 points and 7 rebounds in a big 29-point win over his former team last Tuesday. And he chipped in nine more points on just four shots in Saturday’s close road win over Detroit.

In particular, Dudley seems to have a nice chemistry with Wizards star John Wall. Here, again in raw plus-minus statistics — which again carry a big asterisk because of the small sample size — you can see how well the team has played in combinations of those two.

dudley-wall-2015-16-wizards-590x137.png

Speaking of Wall, he needs to play better.  His shooting percentages (fg, 3p, and ft) are all bad.  His scoring and assists are down and his turnovers are up. 

We read this in the offseason:

He also wants to improve his shot selection and turnover rate. To incentivize the cause, Wall will pay assistant coach Howard Eisley $100 for every game he commits more than two turnovers. Worst-case scenario, that’s a $8,200 loss.

Well in 10 games he's paid out the $100 in 7 of them.  He's had 5 or more turnovers in five games of ten played.  That's terrible. 

A ball dominant PG playing in a high pace offense is going to average over 3 TOs a game.  It's inevitable.  Steve Nash was an absolute master of D'Antoni's system and he averaged 3.5 turnovers per game in Phoenix, and no one played the pass first PG role better than him over that span. Wall is a more aggressive player than Nash too.  If he gets into the 3.7 per game range, then we have to be happy with that.

Wall hasn't been off from his form of last season. His 3pt shot seems to be decline especially. It seems like he only hits the ones that come with the shot clock fading.

Beyond the increase of pace, teams have adjusted to some of his passing tendencies and he hasn't made a secondary adjustment yet.

You watched the Nets play the Lakers?  Let me stamp your NBA fan card "legit".

Eh, technically I was listening on the radio, and I live in the LA area so from time-to-time I'll be driving and just have the game on.

Being a Wizards fan in LA is way more enjoyable when they are a bottom 5 team in the league, they are all dreaming and talking about Durant coming to LA....