Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think Wittman is a lot better than people give him credit for. He's no Gregg Poppovich sure but if that's your standard than every other coach in the league sucks.

Remember, Doc Rivers was winning 20 games a year in Boston before they traded for KG and Allen. Stan Van Gundy made deep playoff runs with teams led by Wade/Shaq and Dwight Howard, now he's in last place coaching a mediocre Detroit team. The NBA is the one sport where coaching matters the least.

Wittman's offense can be solved. It's super point guard reliant and when teams with great team defense get the ball out of Walls hands, the offense looks entirely inept. That and his affinity for using a bench mob are my main criticisms of Wittman.

• Like 1

Wittman's offense can be solved. It's super point guard reliant and when teams with great team defense get the ball out of Walls hands, the offense looks entirely inept. That and his affinity for using a bench mob are my main criticisms of Wittman.

I don't know how much that is his fault or the fact that we really don't have any ball handlers besides Wall or Andre Miller.

Beal is just now starting to become a decent ball handler. Over the past couple of years, our SF play from Webster and Ariza provided no ball handling. 

That weakness of our offense gets fixed if we start getting competent ball handling from the SG/SF spots.

His plan was to have Andray Blatche, Jordan Crawford, Nick Young, and Javale McGee as the core of a future team.

Well the way I see it, Ted wanted to rebuild around a core of young players. Unfortunately we whiffed on those young players you mentioned, but the strategy is/was sound. He didn't pull an Abe Pollin or Dan Snyder and spend a bunch of money on overpriced has beens.

But Teddy let Grunfeld stay and Grunfeld has done a real good job building a quality, balanced roster.

I don't know how much that is his fault or the fact that we really don't have any ball handlers besides Wall or Andre Miller.

Beal is just now starting to become a decent ball handler. Over the past couple of years, our SF play from Webster and Ariza provided no ball handling. 

That weakness of our offense gets fixed if we start getting competent ball handling from the SG/SF spots.

A well designed offense doesn't feature a lot of dribbling.  The ball moves because the entire team moves without the ball and everyone understand what their options are the second the they their hands on it.  The only thing players have to do is decide to shoot, drive, or pass.  Watch how often the ball gets to a wizard that isn't Wall and he ends up looking around for someone to give it to.  Then, watch the Spurs play.  Very rare to see a Spurs playing pivoting around with the ball up hoping someone pops open so he can get rid of it.  If New York ever learns the triangle you'll see the same thing happening there.

A great system reduces decision making to simple options and doesn't require terrific ball handling skills to generate assists and offensive flow.  

I'm not saying Wittman is a bad coach because you don't get the results he's getting right now by being terrible.  I just haven't seen him do anything that tells me that he's a good or great offensive coach.  He sure as hell has these guys playing defense though and he's not doing it by having great individual defenders on the floor either.  This coaching staff obviously knows how to plan, execute, and coach terrific team defense.  

Edited by Destino