Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Look in to this any way you want....

I really hope the team drew a line in the sand as far as what they're willing to pay for Ariza.  I also hope that this quote means that Ariza isn't in the plans going forward.

Truth_About_It
Leonsis: "...fortunate...to now have under contract our four most important players, Wall, Beal, Nene & Gortat." http://t/Y0dFtw2qHX

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1

I knew when the playoffs was still going on that we likely wouldn't be able to retain Ariza. I was just worried we would lose Gortat as well. Webster is a decent starter, when healthy, and this will give some much needed minutes to Porter, who needs to prove he's worth the high draft pick. 

Look in to this any way you want....

I really hope the team drew a line in the sand as far as what they're willing to pay for Ariza. I also hope that this quote means that Ariza isn't in the plans going forward.

Can't read into anything Turd posts. Tomorrow we resign Ariza and he will blog about Ariza being the glue guy of this team or something.

In my forever dream of a name change....and accepting that Bullets won't happen....and United States "Senators" are about as popular diaper rash......I have suggested a few times that the Capitols with an "O" would be kind of cool since there was a team called that a long time ago.

WashingtonCapitolsLogo_zpsfb522bda.png

I stumbled on this today (I know this is Hockey. But its an example)

7-9-2014+2-56-43+PM.jpg

The Washington Capitols and Capitals would be a nice cross brand opportunity for Ted. Imagine sportscenter calling them the Washington Hockey Capitals and Basketball Capitols. Yeah, it rips from their Football Giants thing. But I still think that's kind of cool.

How the **** did we manage to luck intro being the city with not one, but TWO sports team name controversies? I mean ****, you ever think about that? Why us? Because for the longest we were the most Southern team?

But yeah, I'm 100% Wizards is gone one day and 100% it won't be Bullets.

• Like 2

In my forever dream of a name change....and accepting that Bullets won't happen....and United States "Senators" are about as popular diaper rash......I have suggested a few times that the Capitols with an "O" would be kind of cool since there was a team called that a long time ago.

WashingtonCapitolsLogo_zpsfb522bda.png

I stumbled on this today (I know this is Hockey. But its an example)

The Washington Capitols and Capitals would be a nice cross brand opportunity for Ted. Imagine sportscenter calling them the Washington Hockey Capitals and Basketball Capitols. Yeah, it rips from their Football Giants thing. But I still think that's kind of cool.

Pretty sweet idea.

They should do Washington Monuments.

I think that's their real plan. Also think that isn't great. But that's just me. I'm the guy who wants the Redskins to have no name if the NFL forces a change.

Capitols at least is the name a team in the city already had. Caps Hoops...Caps Puck. I just think it sounds cool.

Just embrace the wizards name and have costume contests like they do at ComicCon. Just have fun with it because I think we're stuck with it.

I think it would be hilarious to see a bunch of fans dressed like this at the games trying to cast curses on opponents attempting free throws.

A-Red-Wizard-Costume.jpg

Just embrace the wizards name and have costume contests like they do at ComicCon. Just have fun with it because I think we're stuck with it.

I think it would be hilarious to see a bunch of fans dressed like this at the games trying to cast curses on opponents attempting free throws.

I can't dress like a Wizard for a playoff team, we gotta be championship contenders for that.

Wiz have been in serious discussions with Luol Deng but are leaning towards re-signing Ariza instead.

I cant be the only one hoping they sign neither player and push Otto next season. Sink or swim! If it doesnt work out, use the cap space you saved this year on a 3 next season. You gotta atleast give it a shot. We cant have 3 starters conctracts at the 3 on this team. No one can.

• Like 1

I cant be the only one hoping they sign neither player and push Otto next season. Sink or swim! If it doesnt work out, use the cap space you saved this year on a 3 next season. You gotta atleast give it a shot. We cant have 3 starters conctracts at the 3 on this team. No one can.

No, you're not the only one.

Webster is only going to be out like the first two months of the season supposedly. We really only have to be able to cope for a part of the year. We should be able to start Otto, play Rice Jr, and find a suitable bargain bin 3 for the rest of the minutes until Webster gets back.

BUT, this is actually a very good SF market this summer. Pierce, Deng, Ariza, Parsons, Hayward, Tucker, Butler, Turner, Miller, Marion.

That's 10 rotation worthy SFs off the top of my head after Melo and LeBron. It's a good summer to fill in a rotation spot at the 3.

If you scratch Webster out of our long term plans, we will need another wing even if Porter works out perfectly.

So if we can get one of those ten players on a good deal, I think you pull the trigger and look to move Webster when you can.

Webster is on a 4 year contract with minutes written into his contract. He is also on his 3rd back surgery in like 4 years. No one is going to give us an even trade to ship him out. We would have to give up an asset ( most likely a first).

Or we could just not sign Ariza/Deng/other starting 3, and avoid that costly mistake. I dunno. It just seems like a bad idea to trade our 1st next year or sign a starting SF when we absolutely need to replace Nene.

BF says that Ariza is asking for 12 mil a year. Adios.

The Wizards also won't have any money even if Ariza does not sign. The reason that they could pay him that much is because of the Bird rights. If Ariza was to leave then you don't get to spend that money anywhere.

It's either sign Ariza

Or

Don't sign Ariza and get a full MLE which I think is 5 mil or so to spend

Or 

S&T Ariza

Webster is on a 4 year contract with minutes written into his contract. He is also on his 3rd back surgery in like 4 years. No one is going to give us an even trade to ship him out. We would have to give up an asset ( most likely a first).

Or we could just not sign Ariza/Deng/other starting 3, and avoid that costly mistake. I dunno. It just seems like a bad idea to trade our 1st next year or sign a starting SF when we absolutely need to replace Nene.

Webster is unmovable right now. I would absolutely not give away another first to get rid of him. Or Nene for that matter.

But if he finishes the year in good form you'll be able to deal him next summer. Webster can shoot well over 40% from three when he's healthy. There is a demand for that kind of 3 ball shooter on an MLE deal.

Before the surgery, New Orleans was interested in dealing for him in an unbalanced deal using their cap space. We wouldn't have saved enough to have real cap space ourselves, but we could have gotten out of his deal. We'll have a chance to move him at some point.

Ariza is the only SF we can offer more than the MLE for.

Wall = 13.7

Nene = 13

Gortat = ~12

Martell = 5.4

Miller = 4.6

Beal = 4.5

Porter = 4.5

GRJr = .8

That's 58.5 million in 8 contracts.

Plus Seraphin's cap hold = 6.9

And we'd have like three more min contract holds too if I'm not mistaken because you have to keep at least 12 players. Those are cheap, about a million each.

But all that puts us well over the cap of 62 million. I'm at 68.4 million before factoring in Ariza's hold/deal.

We used the BAE last year on Maynor. That means we've only got Ariza's Bird Rights and the MLE to offer aside from the minimum contract exceptions. Gooden will take a min deal to stay because Milwaukee is still paying him. If Seraphin stays, his cap number is going to be way less than 6.9 million, but it'll still put us over the cap.

We've only got the MLE. And if we sign Ariza to a big deal we'll probably pay luxury tax. And it could potentially put us close enough to the apron that we'd lose the full MLE.

Plus the Wizards supposedly lost money last season. We're still paying Blatche. There is absolutely no way Ted is going to lose a bunch of luxury tax money for a team that isn't a realistic title contender yet. He'd be a fool to do it.

We probably need to let Ariza walk and just focus on signing a decent MLE player.

• Like 2

Ariza is worth 9 mil a year no more. And when you put in Nene and his terrible contract it just makes us have to pinch every penny that we can find. I hate that mans contract so damn much. Nenes contract is the reason that we are in this situation.

I don't even think Ariza is worth 9 million, 8 million per is my walk away number. The worst thing that happens if he walks is we start our #3 overall pick for a couple of months until Webster gets back. That doesn't break us...

I don't even feel good about that 8 million number either. That puts us so close to the tax line.

The San Antonio Spurs would not keep Trevor Ariza in our situation. They would let him walk, maintain fiscal discipline, and trust their scouting and development to have a #3 overall pick work out.

Nene's contract sucks but it's not really holding us back from anything this summer IMO. I have no interest in the Wizards getting involved in any of the sweepstakes for any of the big demand FAs this summer. Not Melo, not Bosh, not any of the lesser tier guys.

The only notable FA aside from Gortat that was interesting to me was Greg Monroe. I'm not too worried about missing out on him.

Next year Nene's deal is an expiring. We can do something with it next summer or have it come off the books for the good summer of 2016.

In the meantime we can enjoy having a quality seven footer that's a key locker room guy and that can also score, pass, and play defense.