Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The Heat are getting their big 3 back. Wade might be declining though.

That Gortat contract hurts the more I think about it. Just seems short-sighted. The goal should be to win a championship. That wasn't going to happen next season or the following. I'd've been ok taking a step back next year if it left us with the resources to make a championship push from 2016-on.

If we were serious about trying to win a Championship, we wouldve been preparing for LeBron & Melo. We knew both of them had an option to opt out this year and that at least one of them would. Our organization is trying to stay competitive and have merchandise selling.

Put it this way...dude needs to show out during summer league.  I'm talking about DOMINATING.  He should be destroying guys on both ends of the floor.  He's got a season of NBA practices under his belt and with Martell's injury, his role will expand.  If dude looks like trash, that changes a lot for the Wizards going forward.

SL is too insignificant to judge anything by though. Good or bad. Too few games. And the style of play is too different from NBA style of play. You get goofy crap like Mason Plumlee running one of the constant fast breaks and going coast to coast and throwing down ridiculous dunks in SL.

Porter is a three and D wing, transition finisher, and high post scorer/playmaker. What he needs to show is going to have to come during the regular season during the time Webster is injured. He needs to show excellent defensive instincts. He needs to make some plays from the high post. He needs to finish a ton of fast breaks. And he needs to rebound. Oh yeah and he needs to show three ball range.

Where does Porter get picked if he was in the 2014 Draft?

Yes, he's the 3rd overall pick. But that draft was a disaster. He might be closer to a traditional #20 pick.

If he was a #20 pick, nobody would be just handing him the starters job in Year 2.

The Cavs need to realize this with Bennett too. They are too hung up on the fact that he was #1 overall. They need to treat him like the #14 pick he truly was.

The problem is with how they are being paid. With Webster and Porter, we have a combined 9.5 million devoted to the SF position. If we resign Ariza to anything between 8-10 million, we are essentially devoting 17M+ to the SF spot. That is absolute insanity considering that the SF on our team needs to do two things: defend and shoot 3s. 

It leaves us with really awful depth at the PF/C positions. Now I've read that Ted wants to avoid the luxury tax and that we can resign Ariza and still have our MLE and avoid the tax. If that's the case, it leaves us money to sign Seraphin at backup C/4th big and possibly sign a PF/C as the 3rd big. 

That's not the worst case scenario until Nene comes of the books and frees up an additional 13 million. But we would have to trade either Porter or Webster because there is no way you can invest 20% of our cap on a position that is not that significant to our roster build.

I'm going to contradict myself for a bit. For all the doom and gloom going on, it is expected that the salary cap and luxury tax threshold will significantly increase in the coming years leaving room to pay these role players a lot more than they have in the past. It could explain why Jodie Meeks and Avery Bradley have been signed to deals averaging 8 million a year. Crazy person Lance Stephenson is about to get somewhere between 10-12 million a year.

Edited by No Excuses

Yes, he's the 3rd overall pick. But that draft was a disaster. He might be closer to a traditional #20 pick.

If he was a #20 pick, nobody would be just handing him the starters job in Year 2.

The Cavs need to realize this with Bennett too. They are too hung up on the fact that he was #1 overall. They need to treat him like the #14 pick he truly was.

I would say second half of the lottery. Assuming his sophomore year happened last year instead of the year before and he's just turned 20 at this draft of course.

Coming off that year and with his quality combine, he compared favorably to Kawhi Leonard and Paul George. George was a 10th pick in a pretty good draft. Kawhi was a 15th pick in a terrible draft but everyone now realizes his floor really should have been the 6th pick that year and the Wizards just screwed up. Those guys have since blown up in the NBA, but that's where they were at coming out of college.

Porter was a third pick in an abysmal class. So if you put him in a very very good year like 2014, I say that 12, 13 or 14 is his floor. I think he'd probably have gone 10th since there was a noticeable dip in quality starting immediately at the Elfrid Payton pick. Payton wouldn't get taken over a 19 year old sophomore POTY candidate Porter based off last season. McDermott wouldn't have gotten taken over him if he'd have come out in 2013. And I probably wouldn't take LaVine, Saric, or Warren over Porter today even knowing he redshirted his rookie season.

Porter's sophomore production at Georgetown was really good. That's why so many people thought he was a rock solid safe pick. And like Kawhi Leonard, I still think he has a chance to be the best two way player in that class. Though that's clearly not saying a whole lot.

Bennett could still have been a top ten pick. He was considered a risky draft pick but his upside was compared to Larry Johnson. That's exactly the type of pick you see teams make after the can't miss guys are taken. He could have gone in place of Stauskas, Vonleh, or Peyton 8-10 in this draft. He could have also fallen. Bennett landed in what may have been the worst possible situation. Cavs are too young. They'd be better off trading him and most of their young players not named Kyrie or Wiggins for vets. That team needs leadership and defense badly.

Porter probably would have fallen farther. He was considered a low ceiling high floor player. Most saw him as maxing out as a good role player. His lack of athleticism limited him, he's got no explosiveness in his game, not in leaping or moving.

Edited by Destino

We dont need a 3 and D player to replace Ariza should he leave. That job should go directly to Porter. Instead we should be looking for a backup SF who can make a few perimeter shots (since Webster could be MIA this upcoming season). This is all of course if Ariza is not resigned.

I was wrong on Kawai Leonard. Dead ****ing wrong. But yeah, that's about it.

Ill say that i was wrong on Gilbert right after his first knee injury. But that was because i didnt want it to be true. Secondly, i still believe Jordan Crawford has the talent to be a 6th man backup point. He could have been that guy here, was really rolling in Boston, and then got shipped off to parts unknown to teams that had no intention of playing him. McGee is still too soon to be judged. But i stand by my decision that trading him for Nene was a bad trade.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

Ill say that i was wrong on Gilbert right after his first knee injury. But that was because i didnt want it to be true. Secondly, i still believe Jordan Crawford has the talent to be a 6th man backup point. He could have been that guy here, was really rolling in Boston, and then got shipped off to parts unknown to teams that had no intention of playing him. McGee is still too soon to be judged. But i stand by my decision that trading him for Nene was a bad trade.

Pretty much all of us were wrong about Gilbert but that shouldn't be held against anyone. We all basically had PTSD after 20+ years of torture. We just wanted to feel hope, any kind of hope, even if it was false hope.

I will say that many were wrong about Javale and even NY. And one particular poster was tremendously wrong about Baltche (where art thou hands11?)

Part of me still thinks Javale is going to put it all together.

He is the type of player that hits all of my blind spots.

I feel the same way and, for me, it's because he seems to have been designed to play NBA basketball. He's fast for his size, can jump out the gym, and has a wingspan long enough to hug an entire average American family. In addition to that he can hit a hook shot with either hand. It's a crime against basketball for a man that is all those things to be a bad player in the nba. Edited by Destino

haha... i saw hands a ton on BF. Its one of the reasons i stopped posting in the game threads. Then i just kind of stopped posting all together over there. DC dominates every thread on the board and it often gets tiring.

Hands is active on like every Wizards online board. He is the worst poster in message board history.

Christs sake, Ben Gordon was just paid 4.5 million a year by Orlando. Are GM's outbidding themselves or is there seriously a lot of money to be thrown around at below average players?

Making me really nervous about Ariza. A bunch of wing shooters got overpaid last summer too. Reddick, Korver, Mayo, etc. And none of them can play defense for ****.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I so badly wanted JaVale to be good and I really enjoyed him around the time of that dunk contest. But damn if he wasn't just a big clown. Surely it came from his crazy ass mom.

I can't believe he and Blatche were our veteran presence. That team was designed for two things: losing and dominating the Shaqtin a Fool highlight reels. That feels a lot longer than two or three years ago.

Every time I look at No Excuses's signature it's a little like the feeling of sitting down on your balls.

I wonder if Ariza's hesitation to sign with us is because of Porter?

If so, then that means Porter is still a big part of our plans.

Yeah I would freaking hope he is considering he was the number 3 pick.

Edited by ZardTard

I wonder if Ariza's hesitation to sign with us is because of Porter?

If so, then that means Porter is still a big part of our plans.

I don't think there is a hesitation, just working on a deal with lots if other teams bidding. I also think he wants to stay. He mentioned that his wife and kids really loved the area and apparently these guys are friends off the court. John Wall and Beal certainly haven't been shy about saying they want him back. I doubt they'd be as vocal about the team resigning him if they thought Porter was the answer.

I don't think it's a matter of if they think Porter is the answer or not. They had fun playing ball together and this is why players aren't GMs. In theory a GM should be taking that emotion out of the championship equation.