Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think you can make legit arguments for many guys on your list...but I wouldn't have Wall behind Lillard or Ty Lawson. Wall has made this team competitive and not just good defensively...but ELITE. IMO, he's a top-10 PG right now...and next year (if healthy), he SHOULD be in the top-5.

I can see the argument for putting him in front of Lillard, but not Lawson at this point. Also, Wall hasn't made this team better defensively (he is actually pretty terrible on defense)...the defense is all about Nene!

Agree that next year he should be a top 5 point guard. Hopefully his defense improves.

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 11:32 AM ----------

10 games out of the 8 spot with 32 to play...is there a chance? Or should I just put my nonsense wishful thinking back into my cap?

I really can't see it happening...but anything is possible. It's more about what the teams ahead of us do....we'd need the 8 seed teams to go way down hill....have to be under .500

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 11:33 AM ----------

to me the biggest improvement in walls game is his control and his tempo. last year he was 100 MPH all the time. now he dictates the pace of the game. He picks his spots and uses the change of tempo to his advantage. This is why he is finishing at the hoop. he is staying under control and getting to spots not by his speed but his ability to start and stop.

he definitley needs to improve his J and limit his turnovers but the fact that he still can have a huge impact on the game despite his short comings is extremely promising. Look at the list of 10 PG's above that are perceived to be better then wall right now, and ask yourself how many of them can get much better at what they do compared to wall.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Wall is cut from the same cloth as Jason Kidd. Consumate floor general that is elite in transition but will never be a big time scorer in the half court. That said if he's avg almost 15ppg w/o a jumper what will happend when he does develop one?

this

I don't necessarily expect to win but I expect to compete at the very least. I'm certainly not surprised by wins. I think we can match up with almost anyone in the league at home. And I think we can beat solid teams like Milwaukee on the road. We've actually got a lot of depth compared to many teams. Who'd have thought? Our big man combo is better than a lot of teams and our back court is going to be one of the best in the league one day. They can play at an elite level on any given night. We've got two nice role playing SFs in Ariza and Martell. Not everyone can say that. We've got a nice young scoring big man in development in Seraphin. We got a nice grab in Temple and Price, bargain barrel players who seem to be panning out.

But most of all, the team has come together and become greater than the sum of its parts. That's the best part. And I think that is a direct result of bringing in so many high character guys with great IQ and attitudes like Beal and Martell and Nene and Okafor. They "get it" and fit themselves into the grand scheme of the team.

Yeah I agree Wall is a franchise player. He's not as quick to develop as Derrick Rose (although it bears mentioning Rose got drafted onto basically a playoff team). But I think he will eventually have a similar impact on the franchise. His leadership and passion and playmaking ability just lifts a weight off everyone's shoulders and elevates the team.

I don't think he's even a top 20 player in the NBA right now though. Not yet. Eventually. He's still got areas of his game to grow into. His consistency on defense is one. He needs to get to a point where he can bring it every night. Second his shooting from the mid range area needs to become consistent for his offensive game to become complete. Third his game management needs to continue being honed and his turnovers consistently minimized.

He's making strides though. Getting progressively better, and he's only 22. The team is getting better around him too. Beal was such a good get. Wall is a transcendent talent too, his ceiling is massive once he gets it all figured out. He'll be such a two way weapon. His passing ability paired with his driving ability will basically make him un-guardable once he can shoot from range. It's the way LeBron is now.

I believe Wall is going to be a top 10 player by the time he's 25 or 26 and I think he and Beal both can go on to multiple All Star games. I think he's going to be markedly better than Kyrie Irving and Steph Curry too. I think those two are always going to suck at defense. Hopefully Wall will even be a little better than Westbrook since he's a lot better passer, but Westbrook is a really good scorer and two way player playing for a great team where he doesn't have to be the man.

I kind of see our defensive rise as being similar to the way the Bulls were built around Derrick Rose. Oak has come out of his shell and been an anchor in the middle like Noah is for Chicago. He's not as good as Noah, but he does have a solid mid range shot that Noah doesn't have. Nene is kind of a mix between the roles Noah and Boozer play. He can facilitate the offense from the post like Noah but also score efficiently from many different parts of the court like Boozer. He's probably a little bit better than Boozer is all told. We don't truly have a Luol Deng, but between Ariza and Martell, you kind of get his production by committee. Ariza is a good stopper like Deng and Martell can shoot the three ball like him. Truth be told, Beal is probably almost as good as Rip Hamilton right now, and he's going to get a lot better than him. Wall is not Derrick Rose, but he's probably the only player in the league that you can say could approach Rose's level eventually.

The Bulls have proven that a team that plays great defense and is very unselfish on offense where everyone looks to facilitate each other CAN be hugely successful even if it isn't loaded up with Superstars. One star PG can make it go. And who knows? Maybe Beal ends up being better than Noah and Deng and John gets a better second star to play with than Rose will ever get.

Great post. And I really agree with your point on Irving/Curry.

Let me ask you all (regarding the draft)....does anyone else think that it's imperative to get a 2nd 1st round pick to use on a PG? Reason being, this team showed that they are completely incapable of playing winning basketball without Wall in the lineup. I think we need someone on this roster who can pick up the slack (somewhat) if Wall is out. A guy like Trey Burke would fit that mold, IMO. If we're not going to make a trade to bring in someone like Eric Maynor or a player along those lines, the team needs to think about who they'll have as a long-term option as Wall's backup who can keep this team playing close to .500 basketball. AJ Price ain't it and no one knows what we have exactly with Satoransky.

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 11:57 AM ----------

I can see the argument for putting him in front of Lillard, but not Lawson at this point. Also, Wall hasn't made this team better defensively (he is actually pretty terrible on defense)...the defense is all about Nene!

Agree that next year he should be a top 5 point guard. Hopefully his defense improves.

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 11:32 AM ----------

I really can't see it happening...but anything is possible. It's more about what the teams ahead of us do....we'd need the 8 seed teams to go way down hill....have to be under .500

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 11:33 AM ----------

this

The Wizards defense was good without wall...it is now ELITE with him. Since he came back, we're ranked #1 in those 17 games that he's played. It's a team effort, but a lot of that has to do with Wall's presence. Case in point, he straight up harassed Brandon Jennings last night. Dude couldn't do ANYTHING on offense.

10 games out of the 8 spot with 32 to play...is there a chance? Or should I just put my nonsense wishful thinking back into my cap?
I wish you hadn't posted this. This is really messing with my mind. You really are the evil genius.

Two 20 / 10 + games in a row from Nene. He is the man. Nice to see us on the road look like the same team we've looked like at home.

Is Beal ok? It looked like he could have re-injured his wrist.

Love how the Wiz are playing. The last time I could say that was....uh?

He stayed in the game - not that means much, but his shot was still falling after he hurt his wrist (again).

Haven't looked at the standings, but is the 8th seed over .500?

I really think that if Wittman can get this team to at least 35 wins, he's going to get a few votes for COY.

He stayed in the game - not that means much, but his shot was still falling after he hurt his wrist (again).

Haven't looked at the standings, but is the 8th seed over .500?

I really think that if Wittman can get this team to at least 35 wins, he's going to get a few votes for COY.

We beat the 8th seed yesterday, the Bucks. They are now exactly .500 at 25-25. I think 35 wins is reachable but I couldn't imagine Randy getting COY votes. I give him a ton of credit for the team playing defense but his coaching is still not something I'm happy with. He makes so many glaring mistakes in games and his handling of the roster early in the season is a large part of why the team lost so many games. He didn't have his stars so he decided to switch the line up every damn game and made it virtually impossible for the rest of the team to succeed.

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 12:44 PM ----------

Its still a longshot, we would have to go 26-6 the rest of the way to finish at .500.

I think 20-12 would be pushing it.

Is Beal ok? It looked like he could have re-injured his wrist.

Love how the Wiz are playing. The last time I could say that was....uh?

He seems fine ... he drained the free throws after the scare.

Watched that entire damn game last night ... amazing. what a night and day difference from the 4-28 start.

Ball movement is down right pretty, Little Boy (Nene) is freaking eating people up, John Wall is a star in this league, flat out ... it's great to see.

I would love to see some more Jan Vesley ... can't belive he can't crack the lineup.

We beat the 8th seed yesterday, the Bucks. They are now exactly .500 at 25-25. I think 35 wins is reachable but I couldn't imagine Randy getting COY votes. I give him a ton of credit for the team playing defense but his coaching is still not something I'm happy with. He makes so many glaring mistakes in games and his handling of the roster early in the season is a large part of why the team lost so many games. He didn't have his stars so he decided to switch the line up every damn game and made it virtually impossible for the rest of the team to succeed.

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 12:44 PM ----------

In regards to Wittman, I think he's shown professional growth as much as some of the guys on this team. He's had his ups and downs, but I've got no issue with how he's been doing things for the past 17/18 games. IF this trend can continue, I have no issues with him coming back next year. I really believe that if this team gets to 35 wins somehow, he'll get a few votes for COY. That would be a hell of a turn-around despite being under .500

It's just crazy to me how much Wall means to this team. It's going to be important for the front office to get a capable backup in here who can not only spell Wall, but also help to pick up the slack if he misses any time due to injury.

What do you all think about adding a guy like Matt Bonner via trade? We need a stretch-4, and bonner would be a HUGE asset to this team (IMO). I'm not sure what we'd have to give up in order to get him, but he's also off the books after the 13/14 season.

Trade bait: Crawford, Booker, and Ves.

*Vesely for Royce White? White is a mess, but maybe a change of scenery would do him some good.

A 20-12 finish would be amazing, something real to build on going forward. Only downside to finishing 20-12 is that we would be stuck with Grunfeld & Wittman moving forward.

Push come to shove, I could live with Wittman, but Grunfeld is on Blatchian levels with me.

Edited by StillUnknown

I'm starting to reconsider the need for a stretch 4 primarily because Wall is such a lousy scorer. He likes to score in the paint but he's not terribly good at it. We can't build a team of perimeter threats around a guy that isn't a great scorer in the paint. Tony Parker lives in the paint and the spurs still have a low post scoring option. I think a major part of the turn around has been Nene and okafor scoring inside. Wall should for all intents and purposes be written off as a scoring option, he's an opportunistic scoring option.

Boy, we sure managed to dupe someone (Denver, was it?) into giving up Nene for Mcgee. That was a steal! It's been hard to maintain interest in the Wizards these past several years but this recent turnaround has me genuinely optimistic going forward. I remember our strong finish last year and thinking to myself "maybe we've got it turned around." Unfortunetely Wall & Nene were hurt, so whatever chance we had of riding that momentum into this year went out the window. Now that they're back, things are looking up again. I just hope his injury doesn't impede the improvements we desperately need him to make - offensively he hasn't really improved since his rookie year.

I'm starting to reconsider the need for a stretch 4 primarily because Wall is such a lousy scorer. He likes to score in the paint but he's not terribly good at it. We can't build a team of perimeter threats around a guy that isn't a great scorer in the paint. Tony Parker lives in the paint and the spurs still have a low post scoring option. I think a major part of the turn around has been Nene and okafor scoring inside. Wall should for all intents and purposes be written off as a scoring option, he's an opportunistic scoring option.

disagree....Wall finishes at a 55% rate at the rim (which isn't bad at all). Comparison....Tony Parker 65%; Westbrook 56%; Rose (2012) 56%

He can't shoot, but he can definitely get to the rim and score. Not sure where you are coming up with the idea that he can't score? Another thing to look at is how he averaged 16 points per game his first two years and will likely finish somewhere around there this year as well. That's good enough to be the third scoring option on a team....which works out because moving forward Beal is going to be option #1 and Nene will be option #2.

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 05:04 PM ----------

Boy, we sure managed to dupe someone (Denver, was it?) into giving up Nene for Mcgee. That was a steal! It's been hard to maintain interest in the Wizards these past several years but this recent turnaround has me genuinely optimistic going forward. I remember our strong finish last year and thinking to myself "maybe we've got it turned around." Unfortunetely Wall & Nene were hurt, so whatever chance we had of riding that momentum into this year went out the window. Now that they're back, things are looking up again. I just hope his injury doesn't impede the improvements we desperately need him to make - offensively he hasn't really improved since his rookie year.

It was a really good trade (so far). I don't think McGee will ever develop into a reliable starting top 10 center in the league (and that's how he gets paid). Nene is a legit top 5 overall center in the league. He is good at everything (except rebounding)....would be great if he rebounded better, but I'll take his scoring/passing/defense.

Could have easily went the other way if JaVale all of a sudden turned on the light and/or Nene continued his often injured streak (which remains to be seen). Supposedly his current string of injuries this year and last year were all derived from the torn flanter fascia ...which can linger (especially if it isn't rested for a long period of time). He seems to have gotten passed this injury, so hopefully he'll stay healthy the rest of his time here.

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 05:04 PM ----------

It was a really good trade (so far). I don't think McGee will ever develop into a reliable starting top 10 center in the league (and that's how he gets paid). Nene is a legit top 5 overall center in the league. He is good at everything (except rebounding)....would be great if he rebounded better, but I'll take his scoring/passing/defense.

Could have easily went the other way if JaVale all of a sudden turned on the light and/or Nene continued his often injured streak (which remains to be seen). Supposedly his current string of injuries this year and last year were all derived from the torn flanter fascia ...which can linger (especially if it isn't rested for a long period of time). He seems to have gotten passed this injury, so hopefully he'll stay healthy the rest of his time here.

---------- Post added February-12th-2013 at 05:06 PM ----------

disagree....Wall finishes at a 55% rate at the rim (which isn't bad at all). Comparison....Tony Parker 65%; Westbrook 56%; Rose (2012) 56%

He can't shoot, but he can definitely get to the rim and score. Not sure where you are coming up with the idea that he can't score? Another thing to look at is how he averaged 16 points per game his first two years and will likely finish somewhere around there this year as well. That's good enough.

Finishing at the rim percentages don't really mean a lot. How often can he get to the rim, how efficient is he overall, and can the defense take it away. I see him as a guy that scores on the break and opportunistically otherwise. In the half court the team needs guys down low that can get the ball and convert in the paint. The entire point is that he's not good enough a pure scorer inside to move one big outside for much of the time. I think the team is better with Nene at the 4 and a rebounder at the 5 which Okafor has provided.

2K13's draft and draft day trade system is broken. They build in "reaches" to try and be realistic and reflect scouting errors so that you can get value picks. But the chances for reaches are way too high. And the trade value of draft picks plummets on draft day. Teams will propose trades to you when their picks come up that are very favorable. I just traded Vesely for the 12th overall pick and Lavoy Allen. Then I traded Booker and my 2014 first rounder for another first round pick. Again, not my proposal.

And like I was saying with those value picks, I got Nerlens just sitting still and letting the draft come to me at 7, McLemore at 12, and Otto Porter at like 16 or 17. Doug McDermott went before Ben McLemore I believe.

Then I simulated through the entire next season to the FA period where I extended John Wall and then signed LeBron James :ols:. We were his and Carmelo's top choice! Carmelo actually accepted my contract offer too but I had to turn him down because I didn't have the money to sign both him and LeBron and had to choose between the two.

That game is absolutely ridiculous. The Wizards roster is now Wall, Beal. LeBron, Nene, Nerlens with McLemore and Porter coming off the bench :ols:

It's like all of the CPU GMs are programmed with an Ernie Grunfeld AI.