Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Van Gundy was giving the Wiz a lot of praise during the Miami/Clippers broadcast. Nice. We are finally getting some positive attention.

Hire him! Bonus if Nene drags him around the court while he clings to his leg.

Also Lebron has 30 points on 11 shots.

Edited by Destino

Hire him! Bonus if Nene drags him around the court while he clings to his leg.

Also Lebron has 30 points on 11 shots.

Man did anyone see that guy Adolfo? There's already been a thread started on the Heat board.

http://fans.heat.nba.com/community/index.php?/topic/17422-the-official-adolfo-thread/

They interviewed the guy in the 4th and come to find out he actually met Van Gundy in the past and talked basketball with him for like 15 minutes at some deli. Van Gundy didn't recognize it was him til later on. Small world.

Edited by windsofcreation

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/2/8/3969658/chris-singleton-wizards-record-nets

A win over a big-name team like the Brooklyn Nets, especially when it came after wins over other big-name teams like the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Clippers, will make any team confident. So you can understand why Chris Singleton slipped the following line in his middle of his postgame media address.

"If this team was healthy from the beginning, I feel like we'd be top 4 in the East," he said.

Chris Singleton is tired of being humble. :ols:

I looked at the Wizards box score, and saw that Vesely played for 1 minute, and in that time, made a shot, committed a turnover, and committed two personal fouls. Is that the most someone has ever done with that little time on the court?

in his defense its because somebody threw him a lousy pass and he had to chase down a defender. I was actually enthalled with the jumpshot he took, he looked confident.

The only thing I didn't like about the game is that if we put em away earlier we coulda had a full quarter of developmental time for Vesely. Lord knows he needs it.

in his defense its because somebody threw him a lousy pass and he had to chase down a defender. I was actually enthalled with the jumpshot he took, he looked confident.

The only thing I didn't like about the game is that if we put em away earlier we coulda had a full quarter of developmental time for Vesely. Lord knows he needs it.

Yeah at that point the backups were just running trying to make an impression on the coach with how hard they were playing. Ves had to chase down a guy in transition and foul him to prevent the layup. Standard play. the other foul was him going for a block too I think.

You're right, Ves took that jumper confidently. He was open and didn't hesitate when he got the ball and it looked good.

The thing is, with shooting, it's a psychological thing for the whole team. If you notice, a lot of times when one or two guys are missing shots, everyone else on the whole team starts missing. But OTOH, when one or two guys get hot, everyone else starts making shots. Guys feed off each other's confidence and shooting is so much about being confident and automatic and never over thinking it or being afraid if it doesn't go in.

The confidence for the team has been through the roof the past three games. Webster and Ariza getting locked in together has been such a boost. Suddenly Singleton, Nene, Price, Temple, and Okafor are all draining their shots. Even Ves gets in there and isn't afraid to shoot because he's feeling the confidence and energy too. It's so contagious.

This team has some talent, guys are discovering roles, and wins like the past three start to give them the confidence they need to be successful moving forward. The trick is maintaining that same level of confidence and belief in each other when the going gets rough, as happens to every team during the long season.

---------- Post added February-9th-2013 at 12:42 PM ----------

Yeah I really don't know why he isn't down in the D-League getting some experience. If he's rarely going to play in the NBA, send him down to the NBDL to refine some of his game in live action, not just practice.

It's also good to be with the team though. Even from the bench, you are part of the team and you practice with them every day and you also get to watch and learn from those guys.

Getting live action experience is great, but some things you don't learn from playing games anyway. Things like shooting mechanics and learning to shoot from spots and the other individual components and skills have to be learned in the gym, isolated into drills where you repeat them over and over.

All in all, I'm not too worried about Ves not going to the D League. I've come to accept that, if he ever develops, it's going to be over a very long term. He'll probably ride the pine most of his first three or four years probably. Especially if we're going to continue bringing in solid vets that are ready to play now.

Just what I was worried about. Wizards start playing well halfway through the season, netting us the #6 overall pick or something.

I do like seeing it though. Obviously a healthy Nene and Wall make worlds of a difference. My boy Martell Webster is killing it. I said a month ago that he's the best acquisition we've had in five years.

Anyone else want the Wiz to draft Otto Porter? For Me personally I want him of Alex Len.

Len is an extremely unique player. He has such a diverse offensive game for a guy who is 7-1. He could put on another 15-20 pounds and be dominant. Too bad MD doesn't know how to use him

I really would like to see Otto Porter here. Would be a very good fit for us

Man did anyone see that guy Adolfo? There's already been a thread started on the Heat board.

http://fans.heat.nba.com/community/index.php?/topic/17422-the-official-adolfo-thread/

They interviewed the guy in the 4th and come to find out he actually met Van Gundy in the past and talked basketball with him for like 15 minutes at some deli. Van Gundy didn't recognize it was him til later on. Small world.

That dude is having one hell of a trip from Honduras. Met Jeff Van Gundy and then played catch with Lebron during a game. This is after being at the superbowl the week before. He needs to give his travel agent a bonus.

---------- Post added February-9th-2013 at 07:46 PM ----------

Anyone else want the Wiz to draft Otto Porter? For Me personally I want him of Alex Len.

Len is an extremely unique player. He has such a diverse offensive game for a guy who is 7-1. He could put on another 15-20 pounds and be dominant. Too bad MD doesn't know how to use him

Otto Porter's lack of athleticism worries me. There is obviously a case to be made for rail thin small forwards in the NBA but he doesn't seem to be able to jump or move very quickly. Can he stay productive facing long, strong, and fast defenders every night? SF in the NBA may be the most athletically demanding spot on the floor currently. I'm not saying he can't but I'm interested in what the combine results for him will be.

As for Len, I agree 100%. He's big and he has a frame that can gain weight. He's already got scoring skills and he can shoot. I don't think he becomes a superstar but I do think he has a high chance of becoming a solid big man for a long time .

---------- Post added February-9th-2013 at 07:51 PM ----------

It's also good to be with the team though. Even from the bench, you are part of the team and you practice with them every day and you also get to watch and learn from those guys.

Getting live action experience is great, but some things you don't learn from playing games anyway. Things like shooting mechanics and learning to shoot from spots and the other individual components and skills have to be learned in the gym, isolated into drills where you repeat them over and over.

All in all, I'm not too worried about Ves not going to the D League. I've come to accept that, if he ever develops, it's going to be over a very long term. He'll probably ride the pine most of his first three or four years probably. Especially if we're going to continue bringing in solid vets that are ready to play now.

You are right that there are benefits to being with the team but I think Jan is miles ahead of where he is now if this team developed him properly. He should have been in the D league last season and this season Randy shouldn't be pulling him every time he misses a jump shot. He worked on that shot all summer and showed it in the preseason. The head coach should be aware of that and not undercutting his confidence. He's never going to be a strength player and that shot is something he absolutely needs to develop. I don't care if he gets yanked for fouling too much but I've seen Randy yank him for missing a bucket more than a few times and it annoys the **** out of me.

Edited by Destino

Well obviously I hope both return. :cool: But I think Otto Porter has the chance to be a high level player in the NBA. His shooting skills are underrated. I think he could work on his ball handling, he tends to dribble into traffic a lot and get stripped. And someone said his lack of athleticism- I can somewhat agree with that. He's still a spry young man who will only get stronger.

Len....I dunno man. He's taken a step back this year. Obviously a great talent but I don't see him being that great. He gets bodied and thrown around by stronger centers and forwards. His size and finesse is what is going to get him drafted high. I think he needs to work on his post moves and footwork though.

Well obviously I hope both return. :cool: But I think Otto Porter has the chance to be a high level player in the NBA. His shooting skills are underrated. I think he could work on his ball handling, he tends to dribble into traffic a lot and get stripped. And someone said his lack of athleticism- I can somewhat agree with that. He's still a spry young man who will only get stronger.

Len....I dunno man. He's taken a step back this year. Obviously a great talent but I don't see him being that great. He gets bodied and thrown around by stronger centers and forwards. His size and finesse is what is going to get him drafted high. I think he needs to work on his post moves and footwork though.

Couldnt agree with you more on Len. I'm a huge Terps fan and watch as many games as my schedule allows. I just dont see it when I watch Len play. I dont think he is featured enough by the team but he just hasnt stood out, save for the first game against Kentucky.

Couldnt agree with you more on Len. I'm a huge Terps fan and watch as many games as my schedule allows. I just dont see it when I watch Len play. I dont think he is featured enough by the team but he just hasnt stood out, save for the first game against Kentucky.

His draft stock is based on the fact that he's a true seven footer, with decent shot mechanics, and mobility. It's not always about standing out with bigs because virtually all of them have a lot of developing to do before they are ready to start full time in the NBA. He's certainly not Chris Bosh, who had a inside outside game in college, to go along with terrific length and mobility. There are no blue chip bigs like that coming out this season.

Alex Len sucks man. Just watched him vs. Virginia. One thing I forget to mention is that he has no hands. He has ****ty court awareness. He is awkward dribbling the ball. He gets rattled by pressure. No way he should come out, and if he does there is no way he should be a top even 20 pick. He is going to be a bust in the NBA.

Alex Len sucks man. Just watched him vs. Virginia. One thing I forget to mention is that he has no hands. He has ****ty court awareness. He is awkward dribbling the ball. He gets rattled by pressure. No way he should come out, and if he does there is no way he should be a top even 20 pick. He is going to be a bust in the NBA.

Agreed. He definitely has size, but he is not terribly athletic, has bad hands and is passive. He was getting defended by Justin Anderson a lot of the game, who is an excellent player, but is 6'6 at best. And Len had nine points, seven rebounds and fouled out. And four of those points came really late, when the game was essentially over. He had a handful of blocks, but most of those were gifts from dumb drives into him by Virginia players.

I have never been really high on him, but I thought this was a game where he really had an opportunity to dominate. Instead he was largely invisible. I am almost certain that he is going to leave school, but a huge red flag might have been raised today and he may have lost some money.

I watched Len vs UVA today and must say I came away with the word uncoordinated ringing in my head a bit.

I pointed to the spin move he got worked on and thought that's what you'll see each night in the NBA.

I watched him get backed down a bit. I watched him try to block a shot and totally be off-target and slap the wrist of the shooting hand.

He followed that up with a clear block a few minutes later, a shot that occurred right in the middle of the lane. The juxtaposition of the two made me think ... can't describe it ... that he's less a shot blocking guru and more like he's successful when the ball finds his hand. You know, the ball just happens to be in the same area in which his hand is currently swinging. If that makes sense.

I haven't watched nearly enough of him to give a declarative statement as others have. Just my thoughts.

__

Anyway, I came here for two things I wanted to post about - not that I think the real gurus here need my view point.

I've followed shabazz muhammad for a while now. He was recruited fairly heavily by Duke. And to be perfectly honest, he should have been in Durham with as much coverage as he got from the state of NC and if any of the reports are true about how much 1-on-1 time he got from Coach K. Trust, he was well courted and probably should have been playing for Duke.

And before the whole fall out with alleged "improprieties," I watched just about every single interview of his before he committed and he had a singular tracked mind as it came to B-Ball. He was all about winning and all about he being the Man.

I took that as really reassuring and really exciting to have a guy that was a clear NBA player, 1 and done, who was going to be the alpha.

But now that he went to UCLA, I've seen a side of him and read reports of questionable "things." I don't really care about it or know what's true or not, but now I know why the whole thing fell apart with Duke, two different standards between the two.

That doesn't mean much at the NBA level, for the college world, it's fodder.

Anyway, not the point. I watched a ton of his high school and various league stuff while he was in Nevada. I was always impressed with his scoring ability and just how he could "glide" to the iron, also his range and pull-back jumper.

And apparently he's showcasing that at ucla.

His latest imbroglio was apparently how he didn't celebrate after a big win. I guess he was pouting that he didn't get the rock. :ols:

Anyway, So that's at least one athletic guy that I've seen a decent amount on.

__

Another thing, as to Rasheed Sulaimon: I haven't overly analyzed him, I haven't cross-correlated him with the rest of class, I'm just telling you, he's an NBA player.

I'm not calling him a superstar, maybe he's a sleeper - IDK.

I just look at his demeanor, I see the spark of brilliant shooting, see a stoke that is pristine when in tempo and say that guy has a place.

He came to Durham and looked a good bit longer than he ever did when playing HS ball in Houston, meaning he was taller and longer limbed than I thought. I thought he was pure PG, dude is just bigger and can fill more. Again, his stroke is really good.

When he's on, just look at his eyes and countenance, that's what an NBA player looks like.

He's a more well-rounded a player, can step back into the shadows to allow others to step up and more a team player on any given night than you'll get from many others. Whether he's a 1-and-doner, I don't know. Whether he needs more seasoning - IDK. Where he ends up drafted - IDK.

But from what I've read around the nets, people are missing his upside.

---------- Post added February-10th-2013 at 09:09 PM ----------

wrong thread? - sorry.