Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Most of those misses were in the first half. We got back into the game by driving the ball into the paint. You don't win games when 1/3 of your shots are from the three point range. Its just not consistent enough. And unfortunately, with the exception of that run we had in the third/fourth, we've been too dependent on the three today. I think we've only missed one ft in the second half (by Barron, if I'm correct).

Both statements are correct. A lot of factors went into the loss tonight. Great effort to make a run to take the lead against the 2nd stringers but their 1st team were just too much for us. I can' wait to judge this team in December or so when everyone is healthy and have a few weeks of playing with each other.

Edited by SuperBash

There is really no excuse for Beal not to be getting 35 minutes per game with this roster.

He can not dribble. That is why he got sent to the bench. They picked his pocket twice and scored. If he doesn't catch and shoot he's helpless, at least that was the case tonight.

We shot 32 threes out of 90 total shots. More than 33% of our shots were threes.

Cleveland shot 22 threes out of 78 shots. About 28% of their shots were threes.

We weren't getting inside shots, I don't know if its because of Cleveland's defense or because we weren't in our offense, but we made that first three and got too dependent on it. Maybe that's what happens when you focus all offseason on bringing in "spot up shooter".

I'm not sure Waiters is better per se but he does have a quicker first step.

Na I defintally thinks he's looks better all around, he can get his shot of anytime he missed shots at the rim that's going too start too fall. He's more active defensively he has that swagger. Beal is going too depend on Wall too drive and dish and get him wide open shots, he looks slow too me at the nba level. Once he gets his shot down he's going too be a knock down 3 point shooter.

or shoot 36% from the field and get outrebounded by 15

That's another thing about the way we depended on the three point shots today, it means our guys are not in the paint or around the basket ready to grab a rebound. I can't count how many times there were 3 yellow jerseys and just Barron or Okafur down low for us cause we were passing it around the perimeter looking for an open 3.

Maybe that's what Wall will bring when he comes back, maybe thats what Crawford was doing in the 3rd - driving the ball into the paint to create the open shots for guys in other positions.

he been pretty good tonight running the offense. Did you just look at the box score?

No, I'll admit up front that of the "big four" basketball is a clear 4th for me in terms of my interest, it kind of rotates with hockey. Football and baseball are a clear 1 and 2 for my interest. I understand and enjoy basketball, even was a referee for a few years, but I have a hard time watching the Wizards ongoing calamity. I catch a few games here and there, but mostly I just read the box scores the next day, so I admit that I'm not seeing whatever nuance or flow was happening in most games. All I know is that Crawfords box scores (from a field goal percentage standpoint) frequently looks atrocious, that he's a chucker who doesn't hit nearly often enough to be playing that sort of game, and that he ought to defer a little more often; I took a quick look at his game log from last season and didn't see any high-assist type games.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I dislike players who appear to shoot a ton and miss so many of them. The games I have tuned into have done little to persuade me otherwise.

He just tried to do too much...trying to be Blake isn't his game

It went south after his first offensive foul...one of them was obvious...the other I'm not so sure. No silver lining in this loss, this was one they should have won. People who I thought were decent played bad, people who I thought sucked actually played well. Okafor and Booker should be embarrased for how they played out there. Ariza and Barron actually looked decent. We need to sign Shaun Livingston now, that should be priority one until Saturday.

Lol, that was infuriating. We went cold at the wrong time. AJ Price's 3 pt shooting in preseason probably fools gold. Crawford really was the best playmaker out there. Boston twice...its gonna get ugly. I'm mostly surprised at booker, played awful.

That's the thing about guys who depend on a shot like that. They're hot and cold. Price started off the game pretty well, but then he started forcing threes and not letting the offense develop and that's what got us into a hole early and what stopped our rally late.

In terms of Booker though, yeah, I'm surprised by that too. He was one of the few guys (Okafur being the other) who was taking actual inside shots early. He just wasn't hitting anything. That was surprising, Maybe it was just nerves or something.

I'm not sure Waiters is better per se but he does have a quicker first step.

First step? Each time Beal tried to blow by someone he lost the ball. No handles. Waiters took his lunch money tonight (stole it from beal twice) and scored 17 points. Very disappointed in Beal tonight. He can and must do better.

No, I'll admit up front that of the "big four" basketball is a clear 4th for me in terms of my interest, it kind of rotates with hockey. Football and baseball are a clear 1 and 2 for my interest. I understand and enjoy basketball, even was a referee for a few years, but I have a hard time watching the Wizards ongoing calamity. I catch a few games here and there, but mostly I just read the box scores the next day, so I admit that I'm not seeing whatever nuance or flow was happening in most games. All I know is that Crawfords box scores (from a field goal percentage standpoint) frequently looks atrocious, that he's a chucker who doesn't hit nearly often enough to be playing that sort of game, and that he ought to defer a little more often; I took a quick look at his game log from last season and didn't see any high-assist type games.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I dislike players who appear to shoot a ton and miss so many of them. The games I have tuned into have done little to persuade me otherwise.

Im not denying he is a chucker, but he did run the offense well tonight which surprised me.

Na I defintally thinks he's looks better all around, he can get his shot of anytime he missed shots at the rim that's going too start too fall. He's more active defensively he has that swagger. Beal is going too depend on Wall too drive and dish and get him wide open shots, he looks slow too me at the nba level. Once he gets his shot down he's going too be a knock down 3 point shooter.

I agree in terms of this game. The season is long however. Today Waiters was the better player and the more confident player.

Despite the fact that it was a close game I don't think there is anything I actually liked about the game. Price started okay, then reminded us all why he's a fringe NBA player at best. Pargo did the same, but for the entire game. Vesely, Singleton and Booker didn't display an ounce of improvement, so that's disappointing. Crawford played a decent second half, but chucked way too many threes. Barron playing well is decent, I suppose. But he's a career journeyman who doesn't have a future on this team. Not a good thing when he's your best player on the night.

Worst of all is that Beal got outplayed by Waiters, who looked completely lost in the preseason. After his two turnovers Beal looked defeated and didn't even try to put the ball back on the floor the rest of the game. Glad he's only 19 and has a lot of room to improve.

Even with Wall and a Nene that likely won't play more than 50% of the games this season, I see us being in the lottery. Depressing. Just hope it's not EG making the picks this time around.

What you need to look at is how that developed. He was consistently looking good all game. His numbers went out of wack in the 4th when he was trying to win the game for us and took two late 3s. 4/11 is better than 4/13 and even that has to take into account that he basically (was told to) put this team on his back in the third and brought us back from a 16 point deficit by finding people under the basket, driving hte ball inside and dishing it back out and doing the things you'd expect from a point guard. Maybe we can be biased from last year based on what he did, but this game was not typical Crawford, at least not IMO.

Beal looked like a deer in headlights. I'm glad he got his first real NBA action tonight so he'll now what to expect from here on out.

All in all, I'm not that disappointed. Team was beyond flat for 3 quarters...showed some fight/resiliency, and made it a game in the 4th. I loved the fact that they didn't lay down. Pargo/Price were awful, Craw shot horribly (even though he did some good things as far as playmaking), Booker looked like that dude at the gym who takes inaccurate shots after a heavy biceps workout, etc. Considering we were missing 2 starters and 1 key bench player, I don't see why people can't be somewhat optimistic that this squad can win 35+ games. We'll have our horses back in a few weeks. The other guys have to stay balanced and keep the team near .500 in their absence. It can be done.