Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I still think Drummond will go second and we'll choose between MKG and TRob at three.

To me TRob makes the most sense. He meets a nice package of short term need + upside. It'd be nice to have a true power forward with elite rebounding tools.

---------- Post added June-4th-2012 at 02:56 PM ----------

I would be on board with Drummond if I trusted the front office and coaching staff. They don't have a good record with knuckleheads and odd balls.

That seems to be the common problem. Nobody trusts our FO.

Whatever team drafts Drummond needs to treat him like the Lakers treated Bynum. Go out and get him a one on one big man coach first thing. Lakers got Kareem to work with Bynum day one. Drummond needs someone like that to teach him to play.

I didn't realize Kareem was working with Bynum... Bynum is nearly 25... I'm not sure he still qualifys as a project. Lakers are going to have to punt him, trade him, or commit to him long term. I think the latter is not likely. Maybe we could get Kareem to work with Drummond... or maybe a home grown guy like Ralph Sampson, or Patrick Ewing.

But I agree we need to have a team of coaches focused on the babies...

Edited by JMS

I think rebounding problems were almost acute towards the end of last year. Easily as big a problem as lack of shooters and harder to solve. Must be why we're looking at guys like Ilyasova and Humphries. Nene and Seraphin were playing well but not rebounding. Booker was hurt, he's a pretty good rebounder but won't blow you away. Vesely can rebound when he plays PF. But it'd be nice to have a true PF that can scrap pull down a ton of boards. It'd free us up to go finesse around him at the 5.

---------- Post added June-4th-2012 at 03:20 PM ----------

I didn't realize Kareem was working with Bynum... Bynum is nearly 25... I'm not sure he still qualifys as a project. Lakers are going to have to punt him, trade him, or commit to him long term. I think the latter is not likely. Maybe we could get Kareem to work with Drummond... or maybe a home grown guy like Ralph Sampson, or Patrick Ewing.

But I agree we need to have a team of coaches focused on the babies...

Didn't say Bynum was still a project. If anything, he's very much a force and finished product. The Lakers hired Kareem when Bynum was a rookie. Bynum was the youngest player in the league his first two seasons and a long term project at that point.

Ewing probably has his sights set on a head coaching job. I don't see him becoming a big man coach again. Should be someone out there though. It doesn't have to be a big name either.

Rumor has it that JaVale asked for a big man coach though, and management told him to go find and pay for his own.

If that's true, then I think RA is right. D.C. is probably not the right environment for a young guy like Drummond who needs a lot of nurturing.

I think Wittman will be good enough for next year. Beyond that, who knows? I say let's get through next season and then see where we're at and what the available talent pool looks like.

The only thing I didn't want to happen was D'Antoni. I also thought Sloan was too old to come in and deal with this team. The nice thing about Wittman is that we only have to commit to him on a year to year basis.

I don't like having a coach on a year to year basis with a young team. They know if they mess up, its likely the coach who's going to take the fall. More importantly, I wanted to have our long term plan at coach in place going into year 3 of Wall Era. If Wittman gets his 2 years, which is likely unless he completely bombs, Wall will have been coached by a lame duck in Flip & a guy with career win percentage below .350.

Just my opinion, but it seems like we're wasting time with lame duck coaches, instead of finding that solution.

But whats done is done, Wittman & Ernie are here to stay and I want my team to win more than I want to be right about our front office. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about them both.

Wall is happy with and feels we are set in the front court. He wants a 2 or a 3 with the draft pick. Make the man happy. He needs a main outside shooter that won't shoot below 30 percent from 3 haha.

Wall needs to learn how to shoot, take care of the ball and defend with more effort. When that happens then he can have some pull until then play ball.

The biggest benefit for drafting a capable shooter is that he will help this team even when he doesn't have the ball. This team BADLY needs floor spacing. I still think the #3 pick is a waste on a SG but honestly, this team is in dire need of floor spacing.

Interest in Alonzo Gee.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/06/04/12/NBA-Rumors--Draft-News-Day-1/landing.html?blockID=740716&feedID=3725

Several outlets have already reported the Suns are prepared to make a run at Gee – with a source telling The News-Herald the Suns could extend “a four-year, $16 million offer and hope the Cavs don’t match it.”

The Suns, of course, aren’t alone. League sources told FOX Sports Ohio the Wizards, Celtics and Rockets will also enter free agency with Gee high on their wish list.

Meanwhile, since the Cavs have the right to match any offer, they can afford to wait. Their plan likely consists of seeing who falls to them in the draft (they own the Nos. 4 and 24 picks in the first round), then tackling the Gee situation immediately after that.

“They like (Gee) and hope to keep him,” said an Eastern Conference general manager. “But they’re going to have to fight for him, and they know that. I’m guessing a lot of how they approach it will be a result of what they do draft-wise.”

Gee reportedly earned just more than $884,000 last season, playing in 63 of a possible 66 games.

wasn't he on our team like last year? why didn't we keep him then?

Ernie Grunfeld.

---------- Post added June-4th-2012 at 08:27 PM ----------

Wall needs to learn how to shoot, take care of the ball and defend with more effort. When that happens then he can have some pull until then play ball.

Agreed. He's not a star right now and pretending he is prematurely doesn't help in creating an environment of accountability.

Edited by Destino

That would be a horrible draft pick.

Well, I said worse comes to worse, but he does have Ernie Grunfeld written all over him. High upside athlete with loads of potential. (Vesley, Blatche, McGee, etc) I will say in his defense, he is a hard working guy that played out of position at Baylor at PF/C when he really is a SF. If we had the 8th pick, I'd look at him but not top 3. I'm a little scared after the combine and workouts, Ernie will be in love...

The biggest benefit for drafting a capable shooter is that he will help this team even when he doesn't have the ball. This team BADLY needs floor spacing. I still think the #3 pick is a waste on a SG but honestly, this team is in dire need of floor spacing.

Man, I just realized that you used to be Vishal. :doh:

Well, I said worse comes to worse, but he does have Ernie Grunfeld written all over him. High upside athlete with loads of potential. (Vesley, Blatche, McGee, etc) I will say in his defense, he is a hard working guy that played out of position at Baylor at PF/C when he really is a SF. If we had the 8th pick, I'd look at him but not top 3. I'm a little scared after the combine and workouts, Ernie will be in love...

I don't think PJIII is even remotely in consideration at 3. TRob will be the pick if he's there and we stay at three. If not him then Barnes or MKG. I can't see any way we pick PJIII ahead of either of those two.

What about giving Gerald Green a 3 year deal? He'd be a major upgrade over Crawford as a starter, and it seems like he's finally figuring out how to play in the NBA. He had a real good year for the Nets.

Nene

Seraphin

MKG

Green

Wall

Why has he played so few games?

Why has he played so few games?

Came into the league as a HSer...played sparringly. He then bounced around from team to team until he was out of the league. I think he either played in Poland or Russia before this past season and REALLY started to figure out how to hoop. Came back to the NBA w/ the Nets and had a hell of a season.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturday-russell-westbrook-silences-critics

Teams Looking to Trade First-Round Picks: Over the next few weeks, don’t be surprised if a large number of teams outside of the lottery try to trade their first-round pick.

Multiple sources have told HOOPSWORLD that a lot of teams are trying to get rid their pick, which could make for an interesting draft night.

“Almost everyone wants to get out of their pick in this draft,” said one Western Conference executive. “For some teams, it’s hard to take on money for multiple years in this economic climate, especially if the player would not make an impact and help the team win immediately.”

That means contending teams like the Oklahoma City Thunder or Chicago Bulls may opt to trade their late first-round pick rather than draft a rookie who won’t really contribute (just like Reggie Jackson and Jimmy Butler this season). Expect plenty of trade rumors over the next several weeks.

Be interested to see if we move back into the first then.

I think it could make sense for us to do so if the right guy falls. I wouldn't mind seeing us move back into the first if a guy like Quincy Miller or Terrence Jones falls into the late teens or early twenties. TRob and Quincy Miller could be a nasty draft class.

Harrison Barnes is the next Sean Elliott

thats a really good comparison. He reminds me of Glen Rice. I think he is the guy who gets knocked like Pierce and Gay did and some team will get a steal. The wide open NBA style fits his skillset alot better then the slowed down methodical college sets teams run. Barnes is gonna be really good spotting up on the break.