Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wizards are 18th in attendance which isn't terrible when you consider they are significantly worse in winning percentage.

I don't think it's about attendance at games anymore as much as it's about the TV contracts.

Anyways, this team needs as many shooters as possible. If Beal can shoot and create his own shot, he should be the pick. 2nd round and Free agent-wise is the same deal. Bring in guys that have good hands and can score.

Im also very high on Drummond, however I have no faith the Wizards will help him develop the way he needs too. He could end up the best player in this draft.

Agreed on having no faith in that currently. I would have faith if we brought in Jerry Sloan and ran pick n roll sets all game long.

I have my doubts on Drummond. I want no parts of him. Entirely TOO raw. With the #3 pick, we need someone who can step in right away and contribute. Again, this is why I want no parts of Drummond. Aside from him having a lot to work on, I'm more concerned about his effort and motor. We've dealt with guys like this in the past, and these are the guys who are no longer on the team, or they're on their way out. Guys who were the catalysts for our "culture" change. Drummond COULD turn out to be a beast, but I just think there are too many questions about him for the Wizards to take him #3 overall. Like it was said...whatever team that drafts him will either make or break their GM. Total high-risk/high-reward player.

Anyways, I'm not mad at all about having the #3 pick. We're in a positon where we're guaranteed to get Beal, MKG, or T-Rob. My top-3 selections for the Wizards are as follows:

MKG - on the contingent that we make a play for help at the 2 via FA (Eric Gordon??? But I'd have to assume NOH will do all they can to keep him with Davis now in the fold)

Thomas Robinson - SUPER high-motor, great character, and a DC native. Not to mention he's an absolute beast on the defensive glass, which is what we need. Let me ask yall...if he measures out at 6'8", is there a chance he could slide over to SF?

Beal - He's got amazing shot-mechanics and the ability to be one of the better 2 guards in the league in a few years. He's the best rebounding guard coming into the draft this year and he's got good defensive potential. I've seen his height listed from anywhere from 6'3" to 6'5"....whatever it may be, I'd have to think that he's still going to grow another inch or two before he's 21. He's still VERY young.

Bottom line, all three of the guys I mentioned can step right in and be starters for this team.

Perhaps I'm wrong but this draft is a pile of role players. The Wizards aren't the the type of team that should be looking to develop a role player over the next three years as their number 1 priority. Nene is near his expiration date and Wall is entering put up or shut up time this team has enough projects or "developing talent".

I don't think you are wrong. Just like the year we won the lottery with Kwame Brown, I don't see a clear "superstar" player out there. Even unibrow has questions IMO.

I don't think you are wrong. Just like the year we won the lottery with Kwame Brown, I don't see a clear "superstar" player out there. Even unibrow has questions IMO.

There isn't a draft prospect in the history of the NBA who didn't have "questions" coming into the league. IMO (outside of Davis), there will be another MULTIPLE all-star drafted between picks 2-5. It's just a matter of who is going to flourish with their respective team.

The Hornets are not owned by the league anymore. Tom Benson bought them, but I think the league is still "technically" running them until he takes over. They had a reporter on Mike and Mike this morning and she stated that she was in the room when the selections are made and she stated there is no way it's fixed. She said they don't allow cell phones, laptops or any other electronic devices in the room. But there IS a way to fix it. Weighted ping-pong balls. Very easy. She also said that the Hornets combination came up first, then the Bobcats and then the Hornets and Bobcats again. So the Wizards combination actually came up on the FIFTH try. Ping-Pong balls have to be weighted.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 08:26 AM ----------

There isn't a draft prospect in the history of the NBA who didn't have "questions" coming into the league. IMO (outside of Davis), there will be another MULTIPLE all-star drafted between picks 2-5. It's just a matter of who is going to flourish with their respective team.

I'm just saying, there is no Ewing, Olajuwan, Admiral, Duncan or LeBron type player. Davis is not going to average 27-30 ppg in his career. He may be a solid 20-10 guy, but he's just a step above the others that Destino and myself consider role players and not players you can build around and have them carry you to a title. I wish there was a way we could trade down and pick up Sullinger. I like his inside game.

Edited by pjfootballer

Vesely is a Sf nothing in his game translates to Pf. He is a Jared Jeffries type with crazy athletism. He defends the perimeter very well getting deflections and playing the screen roll game. If he can learn to shoot he is a monster at Sf because of his defense, hustle and intangibles. Vesely will never gain weight to play Pf for anything more then spot minutes. His height, skillset and frame are much moresuited to being a wing.

This needs shooters period. I'm not drafting any more guys who can't shoot unless we make some trades to construct this team differently.

The Hornets are not owned by the league anymore. Tom Benson bought them, but I think the league is still "technically" running them until he takes over. They had a reporter on Mike and Mike this morning and she stated that she was in the room when the selections are made and she stated there is no way it's fixed. She said they don't allow cell phones, laptops or any other electronic devices in the room. But there IS a way to fix it. Weighted ping-pong balls. Very easy. She also said that the Hornets combination came up first, then the Bobcats and then the Hornets and Bobcats again. So the Wizards combination actually came up on the FIFTH try. Ping-Pong balls have to be weighted.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 08:26 AM ----------

I'm just saying, there is no Ewing, Olajuwan, Admiral, Duncan or LeBron type player. Davis is not going to average 27-30 ppg in his career. He may be a solid 20-10 guy, but he's just a step above the others that Destino and myself consider role players and not players you can build around and have them carry you to a title. I wish there was a way we could trade down and pick up Sullinger. I like his inside game.

I beg to differ about Davis. He's absolutely a player you can build around. The comparisons to KG are not far-fetched. He's THAT good.

Also, why would you want to trade down and take Sullinger when there's a great chance Thomas Robinson will be sitting there at #3? Even if Robinson is gone, that would mean MKG would be our guy. Shot-mechanics be damned, he's another player who has the potential to be amazing. It says a lot when many b-ball experts have compared him to both Iggy and Scottie Pippen.

*If we take MKG, Ernie HAS to make a play for guys who can stretch the floor with their shooting. He has to. THere isn't any way around it.

*edit*

here's the yahoo mock write-up on both T-Rob and MKG

2. Charlotte Bobcats

Thomas Robinson: PF, 21, 6-9, 240, Kansas, Junior

Although the Bobcats and their fans will certainly be disappointed not to end up with Anthony Davis after the miserable season they endured, they should get over that fairly quickly when they realize they are about to add an extremely important piece to their roster who is arguably more ready to compete from Day One than Davis.

Robinson will bring a blend of strength, athleticism and competitiveness that the team sorely lacked this season inside the paint. He will pair well with 2011 draft pick Bismack Biyombo to form one of the longest and most explosive interior frontcourts – certainly defensively – in the NBA.

3. Washington Wizards

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: SF: 18, 6-7, 228, Kentucky, Fresh.

The Wizards will also be disappointed initially not to end up with the top overall pick after finishing with the league's second-worst record. But that should be short-lived as well when they realize that a very exciting piece in their rebuilding process is on the way in Kidd-Gilchrist.

With the Wizards sporting the worst small forward rotation in the NBA this season, Kidd-Gilchrist could fill an immediate hole, bringing a degree of intensity and toughness that will immediately improve their perimeter defense. He's arguably the most competitive player in this draft. Still very much a work in progress offensively, he would form a lethal transition duo with speedster John Wall, as well as the hyper athletic Jan Vesely.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/y-sports-draftexpress-2012-nba-mock-draft-no-022900401--nba.html;_ylt=AgpbEgAAvMZqmB00G3Bc_BG8vLYF

Edited by RonArtest15

I love MKG but he is a horrible horrible fit with our current roster.

This is the wrong way to look at it.

The Wizards simply need to pick the best player who is not a PG. If there is someone else on the roster who plays that position, you trade that player or dump them. No one outside of Wall and this year's #1 should be untouchable.

The Wizards do not have a roster right now. They have a collection of basketball players.

MKG if we sign some shooters and draft at least 1 in the 2nd such as Deamon, Buford, and Jenkins or Lamb if both drop to the 2nd round.

Beal if we don't aim to sign many shooters and go with a player like Crowder in the 2nd from Marquette. He'll produce in the NBA and will be a very solid 2nd round pick. Beal is an underrated defender and has a high rebounding rate for a guard. He may be listed as 6 3 but he plays much bigger than that. I know he shot 34% from 3 but he isn't going to continue that in the NBA, he will improve, no doubt about it. Plus our starting SG shot 29% from deep, haha.

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with either with a team lacking a lot of talent. Both play with incredible motors and love playing team ball, another assest this team needs to continue to add. No thanks on Drummond. Stay away...

MKG if we sign some shooters and draft at least 1 in the 2nd such as Deamon, Buford, and Jenkins or Lamb if both drop to the 2nd round.

Beal if we don't aim to sign many shooters and go with a player like Crowder in the 2nd from Marquette. He'll produce in the NBA and will be a very solid 2nd round pick. Beal is an underrated defender and has a high rebounding rate for a guard. He may be listed as 6 3 but he plays much bigger than that. I know he shot 34% from 3 but he isn't going to continue that in the NBA, he will improve, no doubt about it. Plus our starting SG shot 29% from deep, haha.

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with either with a team lacking a lot of talent. Both play with incredible motors and love playing team ball, another assest this team needs to continue to add. No thanks on Drummond. Stay away...

I think Ernie is going to do his best to secure another 1st round pick. Maybe some wheeling and dealing like he did when we made the deal w. Chicago a few years back. Reason being, I think we're going to take either MKG or Robinson. I don't believe that they are too keen with having Jordan Crawford as our starting 2. With that 2nd 1st round pick, I could see us trying to land Doron Lamb, who I think is severely underrated and one of the best pure shooters in the draft. He'd fill an immediate need for the team seeing he'd instantly be our best shooter. Can you imagine a lineup of:

Nene

Robinson

Vesely

Lamb

Wall

or

Nene

Seraphin

MKG

Lamb

Wall

Either line-up SHOULD be able to get us to 30+ wins next year, which would be a HUGE step forward. To be honest, having the #3 pick is the best I've felt as a Wizards fan in a long time. We're going to walk away with a starter. Not just a starter, but someone who will have an immediate impact on our team in a good way.

*Anyone else think Trevor Booker is the odd man out with the team? Maybe someone who is dangled as trade bait?

How many people in this thread predicted that New Orleans would get the # 1 pick? Sooo obvious. Thanks a lot Stern.

I'm glad to hear we won't be trading the # 3 pick. I think even EG can make a good selection with the # 3 pick. (And I fully expect Jordan to blow it somehow with the # 2.)

Does Beal have great PR people or is he actually growing taller? Draft Express has him listed at 6' 3.5" with shoes and many sites have been pointing out for months that he is a bit undersized as a SG. Today every analyst is saying he's 6'5 and ideal size. WTF?

Also watch Beal's "ball handling"

That's a lot of ugly.

Edited by Destino

Does Beal have great PR people or is he actually growing taller? Draft Express has him listed at 6' 3.5" with shoes and many sites have been pointing out for months that he is a bit undersized as a SG. Today every analyst is saying he's 6'5 and ideal size. WTF?

he is probably 6'5" in shoes which is fine by me.

He is rumored to have a 6'7" wingspan and an 8'3" standing reach, who knows, maybe better. We'll have to wait for the measurements to come out.

I think Ernie is going to do his best to secure another 1st round pick. Maybe some wheeling and dealing like he did when we made the deal w. Chicago a few years back. Reason being, I think we're going to take either MKG or Robinson. I don't believe that they are too keen with having Jordan Crawford as our starting 2. With that 2nd 1st round pick, I could see us trying to land Doron Lamb, who I think is severely underrated and one of the best pure shooters in the draft.

I don't think we're going to add another 1st round pick. Our roster is comprised of all young players & 10-day contract guys. I would rather see us make a play for a vet or two who can play consistently.

He is rumored to have a 6'7" wingspan and an 8'3" standing reach, who knows, maybe better. We'll have to wait for the measurements to come out.

So he's significantly taller than D Wade and J Wall but has a standing reach three inches shorter than both (8'6Dwade 8'5.5JWall). Perhaps his arms haven't finished growing. :)

Edited by Destino

I don't think we're going to add another 1st round pick. Our roster is comprised of all young players & 10-day contract guys. I would rather see us make a play for a vet or two who can play consistently.

If that's the case, would any of you be interested in bringing in a vet with a bad contract like Ben Gordon? Obviously, he would have to come over via trade (hopefully Blatche is part of the package)...but he's a high-character guy and COULD be an upgrade over Crawford as far as a starter.

*Honestly, I feel that as deep as this draft is, Ernie will try to do something to get another 1st rounder. We have money to spend and there are always teams looking to get out of the first by having their picks bought.

Edited by RonArtest15

So he's significantly taller than D Wade and J Wall but has a standing reach three inches shorter than both (8'6Dwade 8'5.5JWall). Perhaps his arms haven't finished growing. :)

I'm not saying he is 6'5". I think he is 6'3" and plays bigger than he is. Looks at his rebounding rate, 6.7 a game. Pretty impressive.

If that's the case, would any of you be interested in bringing in a vet with a bad contract like Ben Gordon? Obviously, he would have to come over via trade (hopefully Blatche is part of the package)...but he's a high-character guy and COULD be an upgrade over Crawford as far as a starter.

*Honestly, I feel that as deep as this draft is, Ernie will try to do something to get another 1st rounder. We have money to spend and there are always teams looking to get out of the first by having their picks bought.

Definitely a possibility, and I'm not completely against it. I just wonder when do we get to the point of young player overload.

This is the wrong way to look at it.

The Wizards simply need to pick the best player who is not a PG. If there is someone else on the roster who plays that position' date=' you trade that player or dump them. No one outside of Wall and this year's #1 should be untouchable.

The Wizards do not have a roster right now. They have a collection of basketball players.[/quote']

Exactly what I was saying a few days ago.

That's a lot of ugly.

Ball handling is easier to improve on than shooting. What concerns me more is him struggling to finish around the basket. That said, when you have a superstar PG, all you really need is him shooting the ball. Wall penetrates, defense collapses, kicks it out to Beal. I saw a Reggie Miller comparison. I think that's fitting.

Definitely a possibility, and I'm not completely against it. I just wonder when do we get to the point of young player overload.

If you never add a veteran presence to a team, you end up with the Bulls of the early part of the 2000s. A bunch of talented young guys who are more interested in playing video games in their rooms than watching film. OKC is the model everyone wants to follow, but they never let Nick Collison go. They dumped young talent to get Perkins. They even saw value in the corpse of Derek Fisher (which was probably a mistake because he is, in fact, a corpse).

The Wizards need to figure out the three or four young guys they are going to move forward with and focus their attention on developing them. Right now, they have two ultra-talented lottery picks who do not possess jump shots. They don't have enough coaches or time to develop ten players. I would dump half the roster for high character vets who don't need babysitting. If I have to eat a bad contract or two for a few years, so be it.

The goal right now is to convince John Wall to stay beyond his rookie deal. I don't think you can get good in the time you have left. You can become "professional" however. Being a bad and unprofessional team makes you what the Clippers have been historically. Being a bad but professional team makes you what the Pacers and Sixers have been the last few years. You won't be able to attract free agents, but you may be able to keep your own.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 10:46 AM ----------

I saw a Reggie Miller comparison. I think that's fitting.

Well...as long as you have no expectations for him.....