Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Jordan Crawford can run the point. NY could never even dream of doing such a thing. Jordan Crawford can pass the ball. You want a good stat for that?

This season Jordan Crawford has had 13 games with 5 or more assists.

In his ENTIRE career, Nick Young has had 5 (FIVE!!!) games with 5 or more assists. That's over five seasons.

Bill Rohland is a ****ing idiot.

---------- Post added April-11th-2012 at 11:52 PM ----------

I don't know why this annoyed me so much. I guess because this team has enough real struggles without the local media talking out of their ass and just making **** up.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I don't know why this annoyed me so much. I guess because this team has enough real struggles without the local media talking out of their ass and just making **** up.

I've just accepted the fact we won't get any decent radio coverage until we actually turn things around a bit.

In all honesty, I would prefer the stations to just not cover the wizards at all as opposed to making **** up.

I will say that Laron Profit is pretty fair when 980 decides to give him a few minutes on the air.

Bill Rohland, as most on 106.7, doesnt know a damn thing about wizards basketball. Crawford is a combo guard, NY was a pure gunner. People need to realize that Crawford is being asked to fill the scoring role.

This.

I've just accepted the fact we won't get any decent radio coverage until we actually turn things around a bit.

In all honesty, I would prefer the stations to just not cover the wizards at all as opposed to making **** up.

I will say that Laron Profit is pretty fair when 980 decides to give him a few minutes on the air.

Really, really like Laron Profit. I wasn't expecting much when they announced he would be their Wizards and NBA analyst but he's really been a pleasant surprise.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

It's because they're not watching. It's not like this team isn't a pretty easy target for legit criticism. The fact that they're so wide of the mark is clear proof they aren't paying attention.

You know what's odd to me about DC sports media? As a rule, it's absolutely horrible. This is a football town. All the other sports suffer compared to football...

But the football media here is utterly, ridiculously, comically stupid and inadequate. It's fascile, banal, cliche, whatever. Dead serious, I could, dead drunk, bang out a more accurate and nuanced depiction of the football goings on in D.C., in an hour of my free time, than 99.999999999999% of the articles I read from the D.C. media.

By and large, the baseball and basketball media are >>>>>>>> than the football media too. But not here.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

It's because they're not watching. It's not like this team isn't a pretty easy target for legit criticism. The fact that they're so wide of the mark is clear proof they aren't paying attention.

You know what's odd to me about DC sports media? As a rule, it's absolutely horrible. This is a football town. All the other sports suffer compared to football...

But the football media here is utterly, ridiculously, comically stupid and inadequate. It's fascile, banal, cliche, whatever. Dead serious, I could, dead drunk, bang out a more accurate and nuanced depiction of the football goings on in D.C., in an hour of my free time, than 99.999999999999% of the articles I read from the D.C. media.

By and large, the baseball and basketball media are >>>>>>>> than the football media too. But not here.

That's so true. But its not just for DC. A town is lucky to have a good sports media. That's why I turned to extremeskins (and TSN and webskins back in the day), because I'd rather talk about it myself with intelligent people than listen to a Korhneiser wannabe ridicule the fans and make "jokes" about what should be legit topics.

---------- Post added April-12th-2012 at 07:12 AM ----------

Agree totally with both of you. That was what Bill Rohland was pushing on 106.7 while I was driving home. Completely dismissed Crawford as a player, said he's nothing more than Nick Young 2.0. That was among other things. Actually pissed me off to the point that I had to change the station. But not before I texted the station telling him he sounded like a ****ing idiot.

I can't stand listening to local sports radio guys talking Wizards. The only ones I respect are Danny Rouhier, Cakes and Thom Loverro. Everyone else talks out of their ass. It's painful sometimes. And especially from the radio home of the Wizards.

BTW, I know for an absolute FACT that on air people from both stations read this board. Including this Wizards thread.

I heard that and just laughed. How may triple doubles does Nick young have? I think Young's MAX assist no is like 6, maybe 7. Crawford (while not a star) brings a lot more to the table than Young. I don't want to turn this into a hypefest for Crawford but as a young player who's still developing I like him. I'm not willing to give him a starting spot, but if we draft at other positions (SF/PF), then I don't really have a problem with him continuing to start.

Crawford is one of the dumbest players I've ever seen. I'm tired of seeing the team push the ball down the court and Crawford jacks up a crappy shot the second the ball touches his hands.

Crawford is going to be one of those guys who can score 20 points a game that no good team will ever want starting for them.

Nick Young was completely one-dimensional. Crawford can play both the 1 and 2. Does he have holes in his game? You bet...however, he's MUCH more valuable to this team going forward than Nick Young was when he was on the roster.

If we're going to make comparisons, he reminds me of an extremely variant Jason Terry.

I heard that and just laughed. How may triple doubles does Nick young have? I think Young's MAX assist no is like 6, maybe 7. Crawford (while not a star) brings a lot more to the table than Young. I don't want to turn this into a hypefest for Crawford but as a young player who's still developing I like him. I'm not willing to give him a starting spot, but if we draft at other positions (SF/PF), then I don't really have a problem with him continuing to start.

Gotta apologize to Bill Rohland. I guess it was actually Grant Paulsen. Who knows. They both have whiney, little kid voices. Sound almost identical to me.

But anyway, my point still stands. The local media is beyond dumb/stupid/idiotic/ignorant when it comes to the Wizards. And as others have mentioned, most of them are dumb/stupid/idiotic/ignorant, period. Any team, any sport.

Makes sense for Drummond with UConn banned from post season play and Calhoun's future in doubt. That program is going down like the Titanic if Calhoun retires. I could see them take a huge step back in quality like Indiana.

Drummond could have used a year to age, if nothing else. Turn some of that baby fat into muscle and get some life experience. He's a year younger than the other freshmen early entrants because he left high school early just like Nerlens Noel.

I'm going to try and find some of his games because, deep down, I know he's going to be our pick. I want to get excited about him.

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes 2-4 at this point. Still have to do the combine and throw in Euros. Young, fast, and huge.

This is a pretty weak Euro crop. Guessing that's because last year's was such a strong Euro crop. The top Euro in this class is Evan Fournier I think. He's probably a late lotto pick at best.

He's a good player though, I like him.

---------- Post added April-13th-2012 at 08:05 AM ----------

Would you all trade John Wall for the #1 overall pick straight up? Assuming Anthony Davis declares of course.

Hypotheticals aside, I hope we do find a way to go big and small in this year's first round. I'd like to see us find a shooting wing, preferably someone who can score off the dribble.

If we're picking 2 or 3, Drummond will probably be our pick.

I'm not as against it as I was before, I've been looking for the positives in him. Like Destino said earlier, the size, speed, and age are all very appealing.

One of his better games.

What I liked:

- excellent leaper for his size.

- tremendous feet. lots of natural agility and looked very fast and fluid working in the post.

- surprisingly good touch on his mid range jumper, more range than I anticipated.

- good touch around the basket, shows the soft touch on put backs and layups, knows when to finish strong.

- tremendous length, uses it well in the lane, did a good job of altering and blocking shots this game.

- just dominatingly powerful as an 18 year old.

The physical profile is great. He's more physically gifted than DeMarcus Cousins was--almost as strong, much faster.

Of course you only see the good in that video.

This here is pretty awesome:

The physical factor is young Dwight. He's so freaking big and powerful. The motor isn't young Dwight though. Dwight shoved everyone in the paint around, even in high school, and just lived beneath the rim.

But it's also worth noting that Drummond is more well rounded coming out than Dwight was. He can pass and has much larger range on his jumper. I like Drummond's court vision, he's so big and sees the court so well. Dwight just kind of bulled his way to the rim every time. He's always been a herky jerky player that is power over grace. Drummond is just so fluid and makes it look easy.

The kid is a freak. He's going #2 IMO.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Drummond and MKG are the two youngest players in the class so far as I can tell. MKG with a September birthday, Drummond with an August birthday.

Who do the Wizards take at #2?

I'm still partial to MKG because of his intangibles, but I can see Drummond being much more of a franchise changer if he puts it together.

Drummond:

- potential to be most dominating physical force in the paint in the league in a couple of years.

- surprising array of finesse skills already developed, still feeling the game out, but the seeds of a well rounded player are planted

- seems like a really nice kid, not a nasty demeanor, but can still take games over and assert his will in the lane. Plays the game with joy and energy. Sometimes he shocks everyone in the arena, including his teammates with the amazing **** he does. He can bring a house to its feet.

MKG:

- born leader and winner

- tremendous hustler that is a joy to watch

- very good athlete with the heart and the ability to become a lock down defender that can guard 1-4 in the NBA.

- relentless, attacks constantly, pretty good handles and finishing skills, can be legitimately dangerous with further development.

- rebounds well, plays above the rim

I don't know. This is a really tough call for me. Swing for the fences with Drummond on the chance that he completely turns our franchise around? Or take the safe pick in MKG who you know is going to be good, carries a high value because of his ability to guard almost every position, and brings a really positive dimension to our locker room?

Drummond and MKG are the two youngest players in the class so far as I can tell. MKG with a September birthday, Drummond with an August birthday.

Who do the Wizards take at #2?

I'm still partial to MKG because of his intangibles, but I can see Drummond being much more of a franchise changer if he puts it together.

Drummond:

- potential to be most dominating physical force in the paint in the league in a couple of years.

- surprising array of finesse skills already developed, still feeling the game out, but the seeds of a well rounded player are planted

- seems like a really nice kid, not a nasty demeanor, but can still take games over and assert his will in the lane. Plays the game with joy and energy. Sometimes he shocks everyone in the arena, including his teammates with the amazing **** he does. He can bring a house to its feet.

MKG:

- born leader and winner

- tremendous hustler that is a joy to watch

- very good athlete with the heart and the ability to become a lock down defender that can guard 1-4 in the NBA.

- relentless, attacks constantly, pretty good handles and finishing skills, can be legitimately dangerous with further development.

- rebounds well, plays above the rim

I don't know. This is a really tough call for me. Swing for the fences with Drummond on the chance that he completely turns our franchise around? Or take the safe pick in MKG who you know is going to be good, carries a high value because of his ability to guard almost every position, and brings a really positive dimension to our locker room?

unless we are #1, we'll take Beal.

only if I lost my effing mind

Not a fan of Davis I take it?

I think Davis is a slightly better prospect than Wall was.

But Wall is a PG. A very special one at that. It's a lot easier to build a winner with that kind of PG than otherwise.

In the end, I wouldn't do it. I just don't see a PG like Wall out there on the horizon any time soon while we could get a really special big here either this draft or next.

Imagine if we did that though and we also had the #2 pick. We could build around Davis and MKG.

Still, I'm pretty sure I'd rather stand pat and build around either Wall and MKG, or Wall and Drummond.

---------- Post added April-13th-2012 at 09:11 AM ----------

unless we are #1, we'll take Beal.

I don't think we take Beal at #2 or #3. I think it'll play out Davis, then some order of MKG and Drummond. Beal doesn't come into play until 4 or later.