Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I can't believe they haven't taken it down. That's like having your facebook profile pic being you hitting a bong and then applying for a government job and not changing it. Props for openness? I guess

You have to almost admire it in a way. Most NFL draft sites delete their archives so you can't see how wrong they turned out to be.

Seraphin looked good last night. He was making moves/shots around the basket that McGee could never figure out how to do.

Why can't Wall shoot jump shots? The little kids at the half-time show were shooting from the outside better than him. He'd be soooo good if he could shoot.

If we get the 2nd overall pick, how much would you all be willing to trade to move up to the first pick. If we get the third? Assume the team with the first pick is dealing.

I would seriously put all of my draft assets and any of my players aside from Wall on the table.

I'd trade #2 and next year's unprotected first plus some combination of Vesely, Booker, Seraphin, Crawford, whoever. If they want Nene? Go for it.

Let's say some pretty good team on hard times (Portland or Utah) lucks into the first overall choice. I've got to think a potential offer like that from us would be super appealing, more appealing than adding another power forward. If it was Portland, think they would accept a deal of #2 or #3, future unprotected first, Crawford, Nene, we'll take back Wesley Matthews's salary? And if I had to, I'd throw in somebody like Singleton or Booker.

To me, that's a deal where both teams would win big. It'd suck to gut the front court like that, and Matthews's deal has three more years at 7 million per left on it. And next year's unprotected first could be a really high pick. But to me, it would be worth it to go from Andre Drummond to Anthony Davis.

Pros for Portland:

- Getting out from under Matthews's contract, gives them more money to keep Batum--doesn't make sense to commit a ton of money to both and they seem to favor Batum.

- Getting a legit center like Nene back to pair with Aldridge--no more Hashem Thabeet, Kurt Thomas, and paying Memo Okur 11 million a year! Nene could actually be a really nice fit for them.

- Where do you find minutes for Davis when he and Aldridge are best fit at PF? Can't not take him at one though. Moving down puts them into range to grab someone like MKG or Beal or whoever.

- They can play Crawford at PG or SG and seems like a long term upgrade over Ray Felton. Felton made 7 million last year...

- If they're truly committing to a rebuild around Aldridge and Batum, then it makes sense for them to get that future unprotected (likely lottery) pick from us to add to the arsenal.

Pros for Washington:

- We get Davis, the guy who can make the biggest impact for us long term.

- We clear up net cap space losing Nene's contract.

- We could actually use a player like Matthews, and if Crawford and Singleton are part of any deal, we'd need him. He makes some sense in a backcourt with Wall because of his defense.

- Frees up minutes for Kevin Seraphin to start at Center.

- I'm not really attached to that first rounder next year. At some point we need to stop stockpiling rookie talent and make our run with the group we have.

The big big con in all of this for us is that losing Crawford and Nene would mean losing our two best (only?) shot creators and scorers. Replacing them with Mathews and Davis certainly does not replace their scoring. The offense would lose almost all ISO ability and would have to run a very savvy screen and roll game to funnel most of the scoring inside to the bigs like Vesely, Davis, and Seraphin.

Maybe we could insist on Portland including Jammal Crawford in such a deal if he picks up his option with the team.

But the big positive for us is that we'd have built the seeds for one of the best defensive teams in the league. It'd be so much fun to watch a Vesely, Davis, Booker, Seraphin front line grow up together. The collective basketball IQ of that group would be tremendous.

And you also better believe I'd be targeting Boogie Cousins to come here once he reaches free agency. I'd tell Wall to start surreptitiously recruiting him when they hang out.

Still need a great coach and GM though.

What was the last mega trade for the #1 overall pick?

There have been a few trades over the years for #1 but nothing I'd consider a blockbuster.

---------- Post added April-11th-2012 at 01:05 PM ----------

@stevemcqueen

There is no way anyone is dealing the 1st overall pick this year.

I don't care who winds up with that pick and what they currently have on thier roster.

Not going to happen.

Anthony Davis is one the best prospects in at least the last 20 years.

There have been a few trades over the years for #1 but nothing I'd consider a blockbuster.

---------- Post added April-11th-2012 at 01:05 PM ----------

@stevemcqueen

There is no way anyone is dealing the 1st overall pick this year.

I don't care who winds up with that pick and what they currently have on thier roster.

Not going to happen.

Anthony Davis is one the best prospects in at least the last 20 years.

CWebb trade was big time. IIRC, the Warriors have been involved in a couple of #1 overall trades.

Personally, I think it'd be silly for a team like Portland to sit on that first overall pick. Aldridge is a legit star PF locked up for 14 million a year for the next three years. They wouldn't be able to get Davis on the court enough except at C, which isn't ideal. PF is spoken for. And it isn't like they can move Aldridge in favor of a defensively oriented player like Davis. He is their offense.

I think it'd also be silly of Utah to sit on Davis given how loaded they are at PF and how deficient they are in the backcourt.

I love Davis and think he's a great prospect. But I wouldn't call him one of the best prospects in at least the past twenty years. I don't think he'll ever be the all around force that guys like LeBron, Rose, and Durant are, like Griffin has the potential to be, like Shaq and Duncan were, hell, like CWebb was supposed to be. He doesn't really have the body or scoring skills for it.

I think he's only a slightly better #1 overall prospect than John Wall was. And even still, I don't think Davis ever becomes the best big man in the league. With Wall, the upside was that he could become the best PG in the league one day because of the breathtaking physical talents. What's Davis's true upside? I see a quicker, more coordinated but lesser rebounding and significantly less powerful Tim Duncan without the shotmaking ability and offensive polish? You're losing a lot there.

---------- Post added April-11th-2012 at 09:49 AM ----------

The CWebb trade was him for Penny Hardaway and three future first round picks.

Another first overall pick trade that ended up going badly for the Warriors was the Joe Barry Carrol disaster. The Warriors moved up to get him and the Celtics got Robert Parish and their pick (which they used on Kevin McHale). This was following Larry Bird's rookie year. The rest is history.

Actually... cautionary tales against moving up?

I really really really don't want Drummond. Thankfully with the Nene acquisition and Seraphin's recent beast mode status we now have two quality Cs(one vet, one prospect).

We desperately need production from the 3 spot. I know some have soured on Barnes but really he'd be the ideal pick. I'd still prefer MKG and Beal though.

Imagine a defensive lineup though of Wall, MKG, Singleton, Booker(or Vesley if he keeps bulking up), and Seraphin. Defense still wins in the NBA and if we can muster 90 PPG out of that lineup plus our subs we'd be in the playoffs.

I really really really don't want Drummond. Thankfully with the Nene acquisition and Seraphin's recent beast mode status we now have two quality Cs(one vet, one prospect).

We desperately need production from the 3 spot. I know some have soured on Barnes but really he'd be the ideal pick. I'd still prefer MKG and Beal though.

Imagine a defensive lineup though of Wall, MKG, Singleton, Booker(or Vesley if he keeps bulking up), and Seraphin. Defense still wins in the NBA and if we can muster 90 PPG out of that lineup plus our subs we'd be in the playoffs.

I understand why you feel the way you do about Drummond but with that being said, I'd still select him at #2....assuming he declares of course.

Honestly, despite his youth and moments of lack of intensity, he's just so freaking talented that I'd risk it.

Heck, he can do what Seraphin is doing right now....just off pure athletic ability alone.

Is he somewhat risky? Yeah, I suppose he is.

But I just tend to go with players with HUGE upsides, especially when they're big men.

And yes, I know we have Nene but he's not dominant and I don't expect him to stay healthy.

Just to recap why Ernie Grunfeld should not be considered the worst GM in history. He traded 2nd round no-show Vladmir Veermenko for Kevin Seraphin, Jordan Crawford and Chris Singleton & 3 million dollars

He also traded the #5 overall for Mike Miller and Randy Foye. In addition to re-upping Blatche.

I understand why you feel the way you do about Drummond but with that being said, I'd still select him at #2....assuming he declares of course.

Honestly, despite his youth and moments of lack of intensity, he's just so freaking talented that I'd risk it.

Heck, he can do what Seraphin is doing right now....just off pure athletic ability alone.

Is he somewhat risky? Yeah, I suppose he is.

But I just tend to go with players with HUGE upsides, especially when they're big men.

And yes, I know we have Nene but he's not dominant and I don't expect him to stay healthy.

I can't get behind taking Drummond over MKG. I think MKG has the ability to become a dominant, multitool SF that can defend almost every position and create offense off the dribble. That's nearly as valuable as any big.

I can understand Drummond at 3 though based on the upside argument. But if we take him, we'd better have done our homework on his personality and are not getting another Blatche or Kwame..

Just to recap why Ernie Grunfeld should not be considered the worst GM in history. He traded 2nd round no-show Vladmir Veermenko for Kevin Seraphin, Jordan Crawford and Chris Singleton & 3 million dollars

Yeah I think we could do a lot worse than Grunfeld. But that's just me. Maybe I still have some PTSD affects from the Wes years clouding my thinking.

Yeah I think we could do a lot worse than Grunfeld. But that's just me. Maybe I still have some PTSD affects from the Wes years clouding my thinking.

I think a lot of the problems during the "Wes years" was on Mr. Pollin. :2cents:

---------- Post added April-11th-2012 at 03:17 PM ----------

Anyone else think Drummond might end up being a legit 7' and 300 pounds when he's done growing?

He definitely has the frame for it...combined with great athleticism.

Can't teach that,

Anyone else think Drummond might end up being a legit 7' and 300 pounds when he's done growing?

Has he declared? More than anyone he needs to stay another year. If he has a "good" not great year he's the #1 over all pick instantly. That combination of size and speed is incredibly rare.

Has he declared? More than anyone he needs to stay another year. If he has a "good" not great year he's the #1 over all pick instantly. That combination of size and speed is incredibly rare.

Lamb declared already. Drummond expected to make an announcement today or tomorrow. I can't see him going back but who knows.

http://boston.sbnation.com/2012/4/10/2938892/uconn-will-learn-andre-drummonds-fate-wednesday-or-thursday

He's made good and bad decisions we can argue over which pile is bigger but to me the real issue is the culture. Since Arenas there has been a non-stop parade of unprofessional behavior in Washington. Blatche doesn't show up in shape and he gets forced on coaches. Guys like Martins and J Singleton are put on 10 day agreements at the end of the season when we all knew going in we lacked effort and veteran leadership. Rashard Lewis has pretty much flat out refused to play here. The list goes on and on.

This team needs a few no nonsense basketball professionals. One at GM and the other at head coach.

Wizards can't afford to take another "project" in Drummond (at the #2), when you have LEGIT NBA-ready players in MKG or Robinson sitting right there for the taking. Taking Drummond with Nene on the roster and with Seraphin's improvement, would be a colossal mistake.

Wizards can't afford to take another "project" in Drummond (at the #2), when you have LEGIT NBA-ready players in MKG or Robinson sitting right there for the taking. Taking Drummond with Nene on the roster and with Seraphin's improvement, would be a colossal mistake.

Drummond hasn't fully developed but I wouldn't call him a project.