Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

This franchise is utterly second rate.

Does anyone else think that, in retrospect, the mild success the Wizards had with the Big 3 was due almost entirely to the fact that the Leastern Conference was putrid at the time?

Didn't want to quote everything you said, but as a fan that has lived and died with this team since 1977, I agree with everything you said 100%. It was my hope that when Abe Pollin died, he'd take the disco ball with him and we'd enter a new 21st century modern era team under Leonsis and become a better franchise. Nothing has changed and nothing ever will. We're just "another franchise" in the eyes of the NBA and if anyone thinks we'll ever win a title, you're just wasting your time. I've been hoping to see another NBA title in DC for 34 years. THIRTY-FOUR years. Haven't seen a 50 win team in 33 years. Pathetic, pitiful, ridiculous and embarrassing. We make fun of the Clippers all the time, but reality is, we ARE the new Clippers. We always have high draft choices and we still suck. We change coaches, we change GMs, we change stadiums and we even change owners, but one thing remains constant. We still suck.

Yeah, I know, I know, here come the Wizard superfans to tell me that I'm not a real fan, I don't stick with them, good times are coming and when they do, I'll be labelled a bandwagon fan. Blah,blah, blah. Truth is, I just barely watch the NBA anymore, don't root for anyone else and catch the Wiz every once in a while when nothing else is on. We're a joke of a franchise and like Stevemcqueen1 says, until we get true basketball guys to come in and clean house, we'll still suck, no matter how many blue-chip draft picks we get. Just like the Redskins, the Wizards need to change the culture. I know some of you probably have me on ignore because of my irritating posts in here, but that's fine. I hope you'll read this one day. I can say that I hate being right about the Wizards. I wish they'd prove me wrong and make me eat crow and shut my mouth up, because nothing would make me happier to see them win 55 games and bring home a trophy.

Edited by pjfootballer

Didn't want to quote everything you said, but as a fan that has lived and died with this team since 1977, I agree with everything you said 100%. It was my hope that when Abe Pollin died, he'd take the disco ball with him and we'd enter a new 21st century modern era team under Leonsis and become a better franchise. Nothing has changed and nothing ever will. We're just "another franchise" in the eyes of the NBA and if anyone thinks we'll ever win a title, you're just wasting your time. I've been hoping to see another NBA title in DC for 34 years. THIRTY-FOUR years. Haven't seen a 50 win team in 33 years. Pathetic, pitiful, ridiculous and embarrassing. We make fun of the Clippers all the time, but reality is, we ARE the new Clippers. We always have high draft choices and we still suck. We change coaches, we change GMs, we change stadiums and we even change owners, but one thing remains constant. We still suck.

Yeah, I know, I know, here come the Wizard superfans to tell me that I'm not a real fan, I don't stick with them, good times are coming and when they do, I'll be labelled a bandwagon fan. Blah,blah, blah. Truth is, I just barely watch the NBA anymore, don't root for anyone else and catch the Wiz every once in a while when nothing else is on. We're a joke of a franchise and like Stevemcqueen1 says, until we get true basketball guys to come in and clean house, we'll still suck, no matter how many blue-chip draft picks we get. Just like the Redskins, the Wizards need to change the culture. I know some of you probably have me on ignore because of my irritating posts in here, but that's fine. I hope you'll read this one day. I can say that I hate being right about the Wizards. I wish they'd prove me wrong and make me eat crow and shut my mouth up, because nothing would make me happier to see them win 55 games and bring home a trophy.

Your'e not a real fan. :mad:

JK.

You have a point and next year, IMO, is a make-or-break year for the team. If they aren't trending upwards, it's going to be a HUGE problem. Wall will be in his 3rd year and we will be totally absolved of having the three stooges on the roster. MY expectations are something around 35 wins. They have to show that they are trending upwards. Stockpiling young players and draft picks is a good strategy in the NHL and it worked for Ted (hit the lottery w. Ovechkin). Your window of opportunity is VERY small in the NBA as players don't show the same loyalty to franchises as we see in other sports. At the end of the day this is a business and there are guys who won't be committed to being here past their rookie deals if there isn't some semblance of improvement. Not just a little bit of improvement, but A LOT of improvement.

This all starts with the front office. People are quick to applaud Ernie for some of the deals and ridding the team of Young and McGee, but if he's cleaning up his own mess, how much credit does he deserve? In one regard, I'd like to think that he was handcuffed by Abe when looking back at some of his decisions involving the roster/contracts. On the other, I'd like to think that he was acting on his own. Whatever the case may be, I think it's in the team's best interest to get new vision in the FO, medical staff, and coaching staff. I like what Whittman has done in Flip's absence, but he's still a remnant of the previous regime.

In a perfect world, there would be a new GM put in place BEFORE the draft lottery. Easier said than done. Another thing, SVG is going to have PLENTY of suitors for his services. I don't know what will make the Wizards enticing to him, but I'd love to get him here as our next coach.

This is going to be a huge summer going forward for this team. Hopefully, they secure a top-3 pick and are active on the FA market.

Ernie has been acting on his own for quite some time now. Abe may have told him to trade the top 5 pick for a veteran(s), but Ernie was the one who went out and got a deal done for two mediocre at best role players.

The same stupid thing happened with McGee/Nene. He got a guy who will barely produce for the salary he will get. Where are all the Nene fanboys now? Enjoy watching him for the 40 games he plays for the rest of his time in DC. And please save me from the change of culture BS. The culture could have been changed by just letting the "knuckleheads" walk in FA.

The new GM should have been the one making decisions about McGee, Young etc. The fact that it was Ernie tells me that he is here for the future and that Ted Leonsis is a bad owner.

Edited by No Excuses

Your'e not a real fan. :mad:

JK.

You have a point and next year, IMO, is a make-or-break year for the team. If they aren't trending upwards, it's going to be a HUGE problem. Wall will be in his 3rd year and we will be totally absolved of having the three stooges on the roster. MY expectations are something around 35 wins. They have to show that they are trending upwards. Stockpiling young players and draft picks is a good strategy in the NHL and it worked for Ted (hit the lottery w. Ovechkin). Your window of opportunity is VERY small in the NBA as players don't show the same loyalty to franchises as we see in other sports. At the end of the day this is a business and there are guys who won't be committed to being here past their rookie deals if there isn't some semblance of improvement. Not just a little bit of improvement, but A LOT of improvement.

This is going to be a huge summer going forward for this team. Hopefully, they secure a top-3 pick and are active on the FA market.

I know I'm not the most positive Wizards fan in here. I realize I've grated some nerves in here with my comments, but dammit, I'm so loyal to my teams it's not funny and if some in here truly knew my frustration with this team, they might change their mind about me. I don't like to come in here all the time and be a negative nancy, but I've been to the mountain top watching us go to back to back NBA Finals. I've been through the Mugsey/Manute circus, the Gus Williams/Moses Malone/Bernard King years. I've seen us try Hot Plate Williams, draft players (Gugliotta/Cheaney/Etc.) to try and improve. I've seen us get Moses/Bernard/Gus in order to get better. Nothing seems to work. Pissed me off when the Caps went to the teal along with the Bullets and then changing the team name. I would love to be passiionate about the team again, like I was in the 70s, 80s and 90s, but this organization has sucked the fan out of me. I just don't have any answers anymore and believe me, I want this team to win just as much as you guys do. I don't ever mean to piss people off in here, but I'm out of ideas. I wish I could enjoy watching Wall, but when the team is 13-44, what fun is that?

I just wanted to add that one of my all time favorite Bullet players was Jeff Malone. Dude carried the team for years. One of the best fade away jumpers from the baseline I've ever seen.

Edited by pjfootballer

James Singleton was the player of the game. 12 boards, 18 points (6-9 shooting), 3 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals, and no fouls.

Didn't say Wall was player of the game, just that his 2 points is misleading;that if you didn't see the game and just looked at the boxscore, that 2 points line doesn't tell the full story. He had a nice game. Whitman said something like that was the best 2 point game he's ever seen a player have.

But yeah Singleton was nice, Martin filled it up, as did Mason, Crawford contained to do his thing, as I said I think it was the best game of Vesely's career, Seraphin continued to really impressed, so on and so forth. It was a nice effort by everyone. But yeah, Charlotte really is THAT bad so take it all for what it's worth.

---------- Post added April-10th-2012 at 08:32 PM ----------

On another note, I really don't think we're as bad defensively as some are claiming. Teams rarely score 100 om us. In the past 15 games, it's only happened three times. We've been in most of these games lately. And that's without two of our best players in Nene and Booker. I don't know, I think a lot of people have just stopped watching and just see L's om Sportscenter. That doesn't tell the full story. That's been a lot of decent developments. And I already think dumping McGee and NY is a win. But that's just me.

Kevin is making the most of Howard's absence. That hook is money with either hand.

It comes and goes for him night to night. I get the sense he's still feeling his way out around the basket but one thing he's clearly demonstrated to me is that he can get that shot off against almost anybody. He's made enormous strides this season. I'd give him the most improved award for our team.

Kevin is making the most of Howard's absence. That hook is money with either hand.

Kevin is making the most of playing time, period. And absolutely on the hook. I was telling my friend today, I can't remember the last time the Wiz had a big who could hit a hook with either hand. He's so soft with it and he can hit it from 10 feet back. It's really impressive.

I've gotten into debates with several of you in the past on whether the Magic are a better team than the Wizards without Dwight Howard. Tonight we find out. I predict the Wizards give me a birthday gift tonight with a double digit win!

The Magic are looking horrible right now with or without Howard. That locker room is just screwed to high heaven and the tension must be unbearable. I'm fascinated to see when/if they fire Van Gundy. They're going to make the playoffs and this seems like their last year to make a real run with Howard, but I don't give them much chance for beating any of the other seven playoff teams in the East at this point. Things are bad for them.

Am I the only one who saw Vesely's alley oop dunk-to-layup and 1 last night? Play of his career and I thought really showed what he's capable of athletically. He also took a few jumpers last night. Didn't make one but they we're close, it didn't look ugly and he didn't hesitate. Also had a sick block on someone. Just a nice game for him. I still have hope.

---------- Post added April-10th-2012 at 08:52 PM ----------

And lol @ anyone who thinks we shouldve went with Kemba Walker over Vesely. Not even close.

Please let Seraphin develop into Z-Bo and play PF. He's got that soft touch and lower body strength. He just needs to develop the most basic dribble skills and keep working that post game. (assuming we don't draft Davis or Thomas). He's undersized at the 5 but not the 4, he's ideal there.

Question why the hell didn't we have Martin and J Singleton locked up? Martin/Crawford is without question better than Young/Crawford. Singleton is far better than Blatche. Does Ernie even watch games?

It pains me to think that we went younger and dumber than we needed to because EG doesn't know how to build a actual team.

Edited by Destino

Please let Seraphin develop into Z-Bo and play PF. He's got that soft touch and lower body strength. He just needs to develop the most basic dribble skills and keep working that post game. (assuming we don't draft Davis or Thomas). He's undersized at the 5 but not the 4, he's ideal there.

Question why the hell didn't we have Martin and J Singleton locked up? Martin/Crawford is without question better than Young/Crawford. Singleton is far better than Blatche. Does Ernie even watch games?

It pains me to think that we went younger and dumber than we needed to because EG doesn't know how to build a actual team.

It would be the ultimate irony if those late season signings contributed to Ernie being extended. :ols:

Keep at C so he can stay around the basket IMO. At PF, I feel like Kevin has to roam a little too much and has to shoot more jumpers than I'd like.

He's strong enough to play center. He hasn't really struggled with anyone because of a difference in length so far, and done a good job defending the likes of Bynum and Howard. He creates space with his strength and has long arms. If you're really worried about the length, pair him with a long PF.

Man, Kevin has made himself really valuable and is arguably the most promising young player on the team. I hope we lock him up long term. He's going to be so valuable if Nene misses a bunch of time because he can come in and offer quality starting play. I'm a fan of heavily rotating Centers.

You have no idea how much I'm lusting for Anthony Davis and I think he'd be the perfect PF to pair with Seraphin. I truly believe that a Davis, Seraphin, Nene, Booker, Vesely can be one of the BEST front lines in the entire NBA in a season or two. No joke. It gives us a little of everything, and each of those players are quality guys. With a front court like that, I think you can muscle out a low seed in the crappy East with almost nothing added from your back court and perimeter players if you've got a front line that runs five deep in quality. Plus Singleton can play up and defend bigs in the post from time to time.

Yeah Ernie is just a mess. I think he should be the textbook study for how talent does not equal winning in roster construction. He's actually done a really good job acquiring talent the past two seasons in the draft and with the Hinrich and JaVale trades. But Christ if he hasn't established/prolonged a complete joke of an organizational culture. Here's hoping he just set the table well for a high quality FO to come in and take over and get this group winning.

---------- Post added April-10th-2012 at 10:19 PM ----------

According to reports, Quincy Miller is staying at Baylor.

Too bad. Smart decision for him though. He could use a year of physical maturity and has the kind of talent to work himself into a top five pick in next year's class.

Here's the list NBADraft.net: http://nbadraft.net/2012-early-entry-list

I'm not sure how reliable that is, but they seem to have most of it right at first glance.

I like Evan Fournier. Some of these Euros come into the league with some real savvy. In some ways, I think the Euroleagues can do a better job preparing guys for the NBA than the NCAA does, especially if the guy has a couple years of veterancy and played for his national team too.

---------- Post added April-10th-2012 at 10:34 PM ----------

It would be the ultimate irony if those late season signings contributed to Ernie being extended. :ols:

Don't say that. Saying it summons the demon forth. The thought of Ernie getting extended makes me really uneasy about our future and Ted's judgement as an owner.

---------- Post added April-10th-2012 at 10:50 PM ----------

Fascinating article about Shane Battier: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7771561/nba-heats-shane-battier-life-nba-veteran-espn-magazine

Excerpt:

THE HEEL OF a high-top basketball shoe, when attached to the foot of a large man and applied with force, can mimic a sledgehammer. Shane Battier's big toes, at a rate far exceeding expected odds, have found themselves on the receiving end of those pneumatic heels. Right big toe smashed one week, left big toe smashed the next. Barring the invention of steel-toed basketball shoes, the jackhammering of heel into toe in post-up situations will remain a little-known NBA occupational hazard.

Battier is an 11-year veteran in his first season with the Heat. The 6-foot-8 forward is in the throes of a post-lockout, 66-game compressed schedule, and chronic toe misery is the last thing he needs. Toenail regeneration, for the uninitiated, is both unsightly and lengthy. At the risk of taking you too far down a road you didn't choose: Trauma kills the nail, which gradually decays and blackens over the course of three weeks before falling off entirely. Then a new nail, growing at a rate of around 0.033 of a millimeter per day, eventually fills the raw and exposed nail bed. Which means, in the only terms pertinent to a basketball player, that each hammered toe is at least a five- to six-month nuisance.

Battier doesn't have time for that. There are games to play, charges to take, post-up moves to defend and the occasional spot-up three to knock down, all the while knowing the next piercing, eye-watering hammer blow is but a clumsy drop step away. Still, much as he might want to will away the existence of these savaged toes, they demand his attention. On the final Sunday in January, as Battier and the Heat prepare for a late-afternoon game against the Bulls, feet come first. He arrives at AmericanAirlines Arena roughly two hours before the game and heads immediately to the whirlpool, where he sits on the edge with his feet submerged and begins reading the scouting report for that day's game. He pays specific attention to details on his likely matchups: Ronnie Brewer, Rip Hamilton and Kyle Korver. They help take his focus off the toes. "Warming up my feet," he says. "That's where I start to get my head into game mode."

Battier's feet disappear amid the bubbles; one toenail is in its infancy, sprouting shyly from a grisly, raw nail bed that looks as if it was scooped out with a melon baller. The other is dead and black, in an advanced stage of necrosis. Inspecting it, Battier estimates two or three days will pass before it falls off. "You feel it every step," he says. "Every. Single. Step."

This diversion into the life cycle of the traumatized toenail is meant to elucidate the tribulations of a longtime NBA veteran, one known for a willingness to perform the game's more unsavory tasks, working under the unusual circumstances of a short, game-heavy schedule. Pick your statistic -- two extra games one week, three in three days, five in seven -- it all adds up to far less time for a 33-year-old body like Battier's to recover between poundings. "I knew it would be hard, but it's even worse than I imagined," he says. "There's no time for recovery, no time at all."

More at link.

Reading that gave me an appreciation for how rough the game can be for low post players. It makes me appreciate how important it is to build front court depth and have a nice rotation like I was talking about before.

My favorite part:

To be sure, he is a Heat oddball, the ultimate team guy on the ultimate individual team, the ultimate fundamental player in the ultimate flash city. He wears Peak shoes, the only NBA player to regularly wear the Chinese brand. He says things like, "Bill Russell once said, 'Hustle is skill.'"

Hustle is skill. Man I really like that. John could certainly take that kind of lesson to heart.

Too bad. Smart decision for him though. He could use a year of physical maturity and has the kind of talent to work himself into a top five pick in next year's class.

Here's the list NBADraft.net: http://nbadraft.net/2012-early-entry-list

I go through this every year so let me just get it out now, nbadraft.net is ONLY good for something like that. A factual list of players who are leaving early. To everyone. please do not post, repeat or have anything to do with any of their "scouting" reports. It's a joke of a site. Use draftexpress.com.

Anyway, to everyone, if you can, after games, listen to 106.7. Glen Consor is a clown 75% of the time but his interviews with the players far exceeds anything you get on CSN. It's great to listen to Wall and Seraphin and Co be interviewed. Really, listening to his post-game interview with Wall tonight really restored some of my faith in the guy. He's far more basketball smart than I think a lot of people realize. I think a lot of his struggles are him learning what is and isn't possible at this level. And it was great to hear him talk shooting and break down the problems with his shot is. He also flat out said, "I don't understand why Singleton and Cartier weren't on the team all year. They better be back next year." And Seraphin is just fun to listen to. He's got an Andre the Giant type of voice, a enjoyable accent and it's fun to listen to him talk about what he's working on. That's just two of the probably seven or eight guys I heard interviewed. Really recommend it.

NBAdraft.net barely even qualifies as draft analysis. Their reports are just a rapid fire collection of incomplete sentences with no evidence or real analysis involved whatsoever. DX is better in every way.

I know you know that. Sorry if that seemed directed at you. I was just putting that out there now since the draft talk is heating up and EVERY SINGLE YEAR someone posts something from nbadraft.net.

---------- Post added April-10th-2012 at 11:26 PM ----------

http://nbadraft.net/players/deshawn-stevenson

That's all anyone needs to know about nbadraft.net