Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Has Gil had a good game in which Wall got a significant amount of PT? I can't remember one. Maybe he can't flourish alongside Wall

Don't recall one either. We'll see what happens. Gilbert is such a freelancer I just don't know how it's gonna mesh with Wall.

I can't fake Vishal. I think Vince Carter is the greatest dunker of all time. Shame he has the heart of a bum.

He had a play at UNC when Ed Cota was the PG. They were playing Duke like Thursday night. Late. There was a breakaway with Cota out ahead of everyone and Carter trailing him. He threw an alley oop off the backboard to Carter. VC missed the dunk (bounced off the back of the rim) but I swear to God it was the greatest missed dunk in the history of basketball. I wish there was video of that. A dozen years later and that play is still burned into my memory.

---------- Post added December-2nd-2010 at 02:20 AM ----------

The internet is the greatest invention ever. I can't believe I found the video. And in like three seconds:

I LOVED Ed Cota. I was still a kid at the time and I couldn't understand for the life of me why he didn't play in the NBA. He was so great at UNC. Playing with Stackhouse, 'Sheed, Jamison and VC for your entire college year probably helps, lol.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Don't recall one either. We'll see what happens. Gilbert is such a freelancer I just don't know how it's gonna mesh with Wall.

I can't fake Vishal. I think Vince Carter is the greatest dunker of all time. Shame he has the heart of a bum.

He had a play at UNC when Ed Cota was the PG. They were playing Duke like Thursday night. Late. There was a breakaway with Cota out ahead of everyone and Carter trailing him. He threw an alley oop off the backboard to Carter. VC missed the dunk (bounced off the back of the rim) but I swear to God it was the greatest missed dunk in the history of basketball. I wish there was video of that. A dozen years later and that play is still burned into my memory.

---------- Post added December-2nd-2010 at 02:20 AM ----------

The internet is the greatest invention ever. I can't believe I found the video. And in like three seconds:

I LOVED Ed Cota. I was still a kid at the time and I couldn't understand for the life of me why he didn't play in the NBA. He was so great at UNC. Playing with Stackhouse, 'Sheed, Jamison and VC for your entire college year probably helps, lol.

So many memories of watching unc down the years. The point guards they have had have always been fun to watch. They push the tempo and are one of the most exciting teams in transition throughout the years. Shammond Williams, cota, felton, lawson. Im sure there are others but there was a dark period there with brad dougherty.

I know we've had some injuries, but when do the excuses stop. We were blaming Eddie Jordan for the longest, now it's Flip. We've blamed injuries, etc., but when does the team start playing better? I mean, we just lost to Toronto by almost 20 points. Don't get me wrong, I think we have a good base to build with, with Wall, McGee, Booker, Young, et al, but one of these years the players need to take it upon themselves to put it together. 5-12. Same old Wizar...er Bullets. I love that some of you in hear are diehards and WANT to believe this team can turn it around. I guess years of frustration with the Redskins and Wizards have jaded me into thinking I'll never have a team win a championship. Couple that with the Capitals choking and the Orioles/Nats being a basement dweller, I always fear the worst.

Edited by pjfootballer

Guys the Wiz can't trade Arenas because no one will pick up that REdiculous contract.

We're stuck trying to make this thing work (which sucks.)

Rumors are starting to circulate again that talks between us and the Magic have resurfaced for Arenas. I don't know if I want to trade him to a division rival but if it's good for us in the long term, it might be worth it. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing Gilbert have a shot at a ring and I'd definitely root for him to do it.

If he plays well, a team that has a shot at a title will want him. With the CBA and possible strike coming up, some of these teams may not have a chance again.

I know we've had some injuries, but when do the excuses stop. We were blaming Eddie Jordan for the longest, now it's Flip. We've blamed injuries, etc., but when does the team start playing better? I mean, we just lost to Toronto by almost 20 points. Don't get me wrong, I think we have a good base to build with, with Wall, McGee, Booker, Young, et al, but one of these years the players need to take it upon themselves to put it together. 5-12. Same old Wizar...er Bullets. I love that some of you in hear are diehards and WANT to believe this team can turn it around. I guess years of frustration with the Redskins and Wizards have jaded me into thinking I'll never have a team win a championship. Couple that with the Capitals choking and the Orioles/Nats being a basement dweller, I always fear the worst.

I'm rooting for close losses this year. It's a temporary embarrassment and it hurts your pride. But I want us to get the first or second overall pick again. Right now, the two highest graded prospects in the country are wing players.

The way I see it, we've probably got one more shot at a blue chip potential all-star prospect in the draft. By the end of year 2 of the John Wall era, he and McGee will probably have us in the playoffs as a late seed. Once that happens, our days in the lottery will be over. This conference barely has enough quality teams to even fill out its 8 seeds as it is.

Give us a foundation of an All Star playing point, wing, and center, and that's enough to contend with. Plus we already have solid role players to build around like Young, Booker, Seraphin, Jianlian, and Blatche.

If I had my way, we'd actually suck this season and next to get back to back to back top 3 picks. Imagine coming away with Harrison Barnes and Michael Gilchrist over the next two years. The team would become a powerhouse like the Lakers are now.

PG: Wall

SG: Gilchrist

SF: Barnes

PF: Blatche

C: McGee

Shooter and spark: Young

Defensive stoppers: Booker, Seraphin

Energy guy and marketing boon: Jianlian

The Clippers have had top 10 picks 3 times in four years and are set to get another one this year. Their team has an assload of young talent on it. The same thing was the case for the Thunder for a couple of seasons when they loaded up on Durant, Harden, Westbrook, and Green. I think we're in a similar boat.

Rumors are starting to circulate again that talks between us and the Magic have resurfaced for Arenas. I don't know if I want to trade him to a division rival but if it's good for us in the long term, it might be worth it. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing Gilbert have a shot at a ring and I'd definitely root for him to do it.

If he plays well, a team that has a shot at a title will want him. With the CBA and possible strike coming up, some of these teams may not have a chance again.

Ted has completely shot done that rumor.

Back to pjf's post, here's what Ted has to say after last night's loss:

Agree - Ugly

No one can be happy with the Wizard’s performance in Toronto last night. No one.

My expectations are quite simple; the team needs to forge an identity that we are energetic; have young legs– we are tough to play against–and we have upside. And that we play tough and that we play together. We are tight–we are well coached.

We didn’t show any thing like that last night– and to not have one road win yet this season is unacceptable.

We all know that; but this is the business we have chosen; to rebuild; to get healthy– to play through rough and tough times together– if it doesn’t kill you–it makes you stronger.We are in it together–all of us. I get the joke. I was happy to see John Wall and Al Thorton back on the court last night– they will help us get back to higher levels of team performance.

Losing on the road so much also places so much more importance on winning at home. After 3 tough road games– we get to play one at home on Friday– then we go back on the road. Again.

Time to regroup.

And time to ignore the noise that the media tries to create– and focus on signal.

I can’t and won’t comment any more about Internet rumors; I tried to be straight forward– and direct in my comments about trade rumors– yet it did nothing to stop the generation of pixels in that regard– so be it.

Woe are the times when teams want to be like the LA Clippers.

I wouldn't take their curse. But I like their drafting over the past four years. Gordon, Bledsoe, Griffin, and Aminu is a good core and they're already showing signs. They just can't win games yet. We're in the same boat. I think we'll probably be in it a little longer, but wait for Wall to grow up a bit and we'll start winning. The same thing happened to the Thunder just last year.

The Clippers will find a way to **** it up.

Was anyone surprised when they found out Blake Griffin would miss the entire season last year? I bet his knees started fracturing the moment he herd David Stern read his name on draft day.

They are truly cursed. I wonder if having one of the worst owners in all of sports is a function of the curse, an accessory to it, or is it's ultimate progenitor?

I was trying to do a quick mock draft in my head when I came to a startling conclusion about the Timberwolves. They actually have a shockingly bright future ahead of them if they can get a few things to break the right way for them.

1.) They get Ricky Rubio to actually come and play for them

or

2.) They finish with a top two/three pick this season and draft Kyrie Irving

Look at this lineup if Rubio agrees to play for them:

PG: Rubio

SG: Wesley Johnson

SF: Michael Beasley

PF: Kevin Love

C: Darko

****, if they spend that high lottery pick they get this season on a stud center prospect like Enes Kanter, that's an extremely promising starting 5.

Even if Rubio doesn't even play for them, they're still in position to end up with a top two or three pick this year and Kyrie Irving becomes ideal. Two seasons down the line, I'd want no part of that team.

How the hell did David Kahn pull this off?

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I'm not sold on Rubio. His play was extremely unimpressive in the FIBA tournament.

Anyone watching the game right now? Young is on fire! Wall has 9 dimes and the 2nd quarter isn't even over. Steve Nash is a beast.

Yea, fun game so far. Nice to see us play in an entertaining game.

By the way, just checked the box scores - did GW really lose to Navy? :ols: Sweet jesus. KH has to go. Long gone are the days we used to kill UMD in the old BBT. . . dark days.

Yea, fun game so far. Nice to see us play in an entertaining game.

By the way, just checked the box scores - did GW really lose to Navy? :ols: Sweet jesus. KH has to go. Long gone are the days we used to kill UMD in the old BBT. . . dark days.

Four game losing streak and we've lost to some ****ty opponents too. Another putrid offensive performance, we shot 31% from the field lol. :ols: :doh:

On the other hand, the Wizards are just getting plastered now. Flip is an idiot. He brought in Gil and Young with 3 minutes left in the third. He played Kirk for pretty much the entire third.

I don't get this love fest with Kirk. He is nothing but a 20 MPG back up. We play him as if he's a stud.

You know, I'm starting to lean toward Wall/Arenas not working out. I'm just feeling (at this moment) that Arenas is just such a dominant figure on offense, when he's on the court the offense tends to filter through him and not through Wall like it should. It's not because Gilbert is a bad guy or a bad player. I just think it's a bad mix of talent and style. And I actually think Arenas tries so hard for it not to be like that, that his game suffers. But it still happens and Wall's game (and development) suffers as well.

I don't know. That's just how I've been feeling these last couple of games.