Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Media Day has got me all psyched up for this season...

The Otto Porter interview (at least for now) has me believing we'll get more of our money's worth from him this year. The Dwight Howard interview was great because he really stressed how he plans to be a team guy who concentrates most on rebounds and defense, which is what the Wiz need from a big man more than anything else. He even claims he worked on his outside jumper to become more of a versatile threat. Bradley Beal talked about hoe he spent the summer getting better at the "invisible" things like passing out of double teams and reading defenses.

Can't wait to see how our bench does too. 

• Like 1

Probably a pipe dream to ever see Dwight Howard or Ian Mahinmi having a three ball.  But it's a game changer when your big man has the abilty to slide out to the corner and catch and shoot open threes from that spot.  It gives both the pick and roll ball handler and the roll man the outlet if the defense successfully defends the pick and roll by having the weakside helper cheat over from the corner.  Then you don't have to pull back and reset or force up a contested shot.

Being able to set up pick and rolls with any of your frontcourt players is huge.  If Dwight could hit an open corner three then you could run PnRs with Keef or Otto as the roll man and still keep the floor spaced.

That's why Kristaps Porzingis is the perfect big if you're a pick and roll dominant offense.  He can shoot from the corner or roll to the basket with equal excellence.  And he's a shot blocking rim protector.  A true unicorn.  He's the only guy in the league that I can think of who combines all three of those things in one player.  Durant is pretty close but doesn't have the same potential as an interior defender.