Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ernie Grunfeld proving once again why he needs to be extended (in secret)

Actually, I don't know enough to know if this is a good back or bad, but considering we have a bunch of small forwards and this guy is considered nonathletic and a bad shooter... I'm going to guess it's a bad pick.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Fight4RGIII said:

I don’t hate it. It’s a wings league. Plenty of time to get a young PF/C tonight.

Yeah, but we've got wings, and most of the really good wings are guys with the first step to beat a defender off the bounce.  I'm disappointed in this pick.  It's not terrible, it's just a reach.  And there is opportunity cost paid in not getting Williams.  We're in a really bad way at the center position and Williams was drawing comparisons to Clint Capela.  He was the guy we needed.

I also think the Troy Brown pick was planned in order to make Otto Porter expendable in a trade for DeMarcus Cousins.  And I am not crazy about that kind of trade.

We've only made three first round picks in the past six years and they were all small forwards.  It's poor resource management.

However, if this kid ends up being Andre Iguodala instead of Evan Turner, I'll jump on board the bandwagon.  I read that he's a plus passer and defender and high character kid.  If true, then he'll be an asset.

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Brown was probably the least enthusiastic choice they coulda made.  Hearing the ESPN crew go on and on about how great Walker was was depressing.

Yeah I really really liked what I saw of Walker.  He is such a quick, fluid athlete and he has a nice looking stroke on his jumper and he can make threes off the dribble.  Good competitor on defense.  I think I would have preferred picking him over Troy Brown.  But the guy I really wanted was Robert Williams.  I believe he was a no-brainer fit for us.

That's what this feels like, picking high for a role player to add more depth to the team.  Gotta believe he plans to address center via FA.  I'd rather draft our stars and sign our role players, but what do I know.

Edited by Renegade7

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's what this feels like, picking high for a role player to add more depth to the team.  Gotta believe he plans to address center via FA.  I'd rather draft our stars and sign our role players, but what do I know.

We have no cap space.  I just don't see how we get a center in free agency.

I'm watching Troy Brown highlights and they're pretty good.  Lots of heady plays.  Ball fakes.  Great looking passes.  Not a lot of vertical explosion but he plays above the rim, which is more than you could have said about Otto at Georgetown.

He's only 18 and he's got an NBA ready body.  This pick could actually end up panning out pretty well.  I was disappointed that we passed on Williams, but so have a lot of other teams.  Maybe there were some issues there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We have no cap space.  I just don't see how we get a center in free agency.

When you say that, are you going by how far you think Ted is willing to go over the Luxury Tax?  With a soft cap, I never understand why some teams the term "cap space" matters, but for others, like the Warriors, it doesn't, outside willing the spend the extra money.

• Like 1

We reached but this kid can play.  I like his game.  And, dare I say it, he's got some Andre Iguodala in him.  Look at the heads up way he dribbles and the way he makes the full court lob outlet pass.  He's got a good basketball IQ.  And half of his highlights appear to coming out of nowhere to pick passes and pockets that lead to run out dunks.  He's crafty and instinctive.

I don't see a lot of advanced scoring skill, but I do see a really nice role player who defends, passes, and finishes well.  I hope we get to see a lot of him next year.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We reached but this kid can play.  I like his game.  And, dare I say it, he's got some Andre Iguodala in him.  Look at the heads up way he dribbles and the way he makes the full court lob outlet pass.  He's got a good basketball IQ.  And half of his highlights appear to coming out of nowhere to pick passes and pockets that lead to run out dunks.  He's crafty and instinctive.

I don't see a lot of advanced scoring skill, but I do see a really nice role player who defends, passes, and finishes well.  I hope we get to see a lot of him next year.

If he can develop a jump shot, he’ll play.  If he can’t I don’t think he’ll see the floor.  Wizards bench already lacks scoring and spacing.  He’d just make the entire situation worse if he’s still shooting like he did in college.  

Underwhelming...

Kid's only 18 years old though. True freshman at Oregon. Has a really deceiving frame, bigger and stronger then he seems. He has the potential to be a tough perimeter defender in the NBA. 

Not a great shooter. Needs to develop a left hand. 

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

The theme of the last two years is the Celtics do everything right while the Wizards trip and fall on their faces.

Giving the Wiz too much credit, they can't get up to fall on their faces.  

Remember the Haynesworth play where he didn't get up?  That's what the Wizards look like.

That hurts seeing Boston get the player that I wanted for us.  Definitely feels like he's going to pan out for them.  They probably got the next Clint Capela and we're going to spend the next four years wondering how we can get that guy ourselves as John Wall's prime dwindles away.

It also hurts seeing Philly get Mikal Bridges.  These teams are loading up and we're going to be shut out of ever having a chance to make a run to the Finals in a post-LeBron Eastern Conference.

I'm guessing "concerns about his off court habits" means he's a pothead.  Plenty of great NBA players were potheads.