Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

31 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

How didn't you all know this offseason would be status quo?

I said it right after the season was over. We have no cap space and the org is deadset bringing back Otto. Mahinmi's contract genuinely flucked us. We have to find a way to move he and Gortat over the next 12 months.

It was a weird philosophical choice by Grunfeld after he lost out on Durant and every other "big" name free agent last year to spend the entirety of the cap on third tier bench guys. It didn't work and left the team hamstrung going forward.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

i hate sports

Kevin Durant is gonna make a lot more than Otto next year.  He can afford to take a big paycut in his NBA salary.  I don't blame Otto for getting his money now.  I would have done the exact same thing as him.  He'd be crazy not to.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kevin Durant is gonna make a lot more than Otto next year.  He can afford to take a big paycut in his NBA salary.  I don't blame Otto for getting his money now.  I would have done the exact same thing as him.  He'd be crazy not to.

I don't blame any player ever for cashing in when they can

i just want my team to be on the other side of the coin once before I die

Its terrible that the way Our team is set up, its almost worth trading a first to just get rid of Mahimi's contract.... We are set up for a 5 year window here.

Ernie cuffed us on a terrible player. We could probably sign Dedman for 5 million  a year and get better production.

I wonder if when the time comes we trade a 1st to get rid of Mahinmi, trade Gortat next offseason for a run at cousins.

They are making almost 30 million between the two of them

25 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You defended the move 2 days ago?

No.  Since the move was made, I said it would only be a good trade if we extended Bojan in the offseason.  I was against trading a first rounder for a three month rental in a season we were not in contention.  Now that it's become clear Bojan will walk, we can say the trade was horrible.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

No.  Since the move was made, I said it would only be a good trade if we extended Bojan in the offseason.  I was against trading a first rounder for a three month rental in a season we were not in contention.  Now that it's become clear Bojan will walk, we can say the trade was horrible.

Trading first round picks for non-starters will always be horrible.

Bojan not re-signing is icing on the cake. Good teams have rookie contracts coming off the bench for development and saving money unless it's Andre Igoudala.

Shame about Bojan.  He never really lived up to expectations, so overpaying him to justify the trade would've been foolish.  Mike Scott gives you nice flexibility off the bench and you've still got 2017 D-League All-Star Chris McCullough on the roster from the trade.

Steady moving on up to the ECF....

Edited by TryTheBeal!

Our bench is worse as it stands now then what we ended with.

Bogs could shoot and get his own sometimes, and was healthy.

I don't want to hear anyone say but Mahinmi will be healthy... to do what? Score 4 points and get 5 fouls.

Already said. Meeks is terrible as a replacement to Bogs, but would be great in addition too. **** the cap. Do we want to win or not?

Bogs was hot when he first got here. There was talk about keeping him and getting rid of Porter. At the time I didn't mind trading a 1st for him because I thought there was a shot we could resign him but the NBA has just gone bananas with salaries now.

Our best shot at improving is hoping for internal player development.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Damn, Sacto has come out guns blazing this offseason.  Dunno how it'll end up but all those picks and free agents, it could be interesting.

I think they have to spend big just to hit the salary floor.  It's a mess out there.

What's Washington's big picture strategy?  We're not the Cavs or Warriors that are looking to squeeze the most out of their championship windows.  One would assume that we're trying to be next in line.  Boston is adding young talent to the team that beat us in the playoffs.  It may not get the through the Cavs, but the Cavs are old so it positions them to maybe be next in the East.  

What are we adding that makes us better now and better in the future?  The answer appears to be "nothing" and if that's true, it's unacceptable.