Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

17 minutes ago, shuler74 said:

Confused....why can't we throw a max offer to Gordon Heyward .....instead of Otto? Is that even possible?

It's not possible.  The biggest contract the Wizards can offer an outside free agent is the mid level exception.  The only reason we can go above that to keep Otto and Bojan is because we have their Bird Rights.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I'm reading that now. Not sure what Indy's GM is doing...

The Cousins to NOLA trade didn't make sense either.  And I don't love the return Chicago got for Butler either.

It's damned strange.

In the case of George and Indy, I have to think that there is something personal going on there.  Boston's reported offers easily beat what the Pacers actually came away with.  I think Pritchard really wanted to say **** you to Boston.

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I thought for sure it was going to be the Lakers.  OKC came out of nowhere.

TBH I don't really like this move for either side.  I don't think OKC is going to be able to keep him past this season.

BIG gamble for OKC, because there's a good chance that both George AND Russ could leave after this season to go to LA (as it's been rumored.) 

• Like 2

Seems to me that most people are thinking backwards about the Wizards needs. Sure, a Paul George might be nice, but what the Wiz really need is a bench. As soon as the starters left they lost the game. They need a sixth, seventh, and eight man almost as badly as the Nats need relievers.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You need the top end talent too in order to compete with the best.

Wall + Beal + Porter can't hang with the best teams in the West.  They need more firepower. George was a bit of a messy fit roster-wise, but Cousins would be perfect.  In theory.

I dunno. The starters seemed not only able to compete, but often outplayed the field. We saw that time and time again in the regular season. You know the NBA better than me, but it seems our problem was more about the empty tank and pathetic bench then it was about the starters not being able to match up.

• Like 1

IIRC I read somewhere that our starting 5 had the 2nd best +/- of any starting 5 in the league(Warriors were 1st obviously). MIght be a skewed stat though since our starters played a lot more, resulting in more minutes played vs. opposing team's bench/scrubs.

I do think we need a 3rd star and Porter would be the ideal "4th" star but it is what it is...

10 hours ago, Destino said:

If the goal is beating the Celtic a better bench and the same roster otherwise would do it.  If the goal is beating the cavs, we're screwed.

With that bench that showed up in the finals, I'll take my chances against the Cavs 

• Like 2