Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Watching Portland puts our defense in perspective.  On the whole, it's not great.  But it sure as hell isn't as bad as theirs.  Good Lord.  The Spurs and Warriors and Grizzlies are the only teams in the West that play any defense.  No wonder half the stars in that conference average 25+ PPG.

Mostly true, but don't sleep on the Jazz.

It is extremely entertaining to see Sato and Oubre having games like that.  Young legs have a lot of bounce.  Sato with ten freaking rebounds in limited run.  There were times when I actually confused him with Jason Smith and then was like no that was 31, holy ****.  It would be huge if he and Oubre could maintain a high level of effort and execution.  It'd help stabilize the bench and then maybe the team could start winning some games on the road too.

And I've got to give credit to whoever in the FO has been working on our drafts.  Aside from the 2011 class's failure to pan out, the Wizards strung together a nice stretch of picks in Beal, Sato, Otto, and Oubre.  Aaron White was a dud, and selling Jordan Clarkson was a bad move, but props to whoever scouted him and picked him before Ernie sold him.  GRIII was the only real turd in the stretch.  If Tommy Sheppard has been the one making these calls, then my vote is for him to replace Ernie.

One last thing, Scott Brooks is proving himself beyond doubt.  When we first hired him, some level-headed OKC fans I talked to really liked Brooks and didn't like the decision to fire him, and that carried a lot of weight with me.  But I would say most of the basketball world outside of OKC was skeptical of Brooks's success in OKC, thinking it was a product of getting lucky with Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka/Harden.  Well, I think he's demonstrating he's a good coach too.  And I think he was probably instrumental in getting those four OKC guys to where they needed to be as players.  In a totally new situation, he's developing Beal, Porter, and Oubre into special players and he's helped Wall take his game to the superstar level.  And there was nothing pre-ordained about this, because these guys were floundering under the old regime.  I think he is showing that a young team that's trying to build through the draft must get a HC who is a good and patient teacher.

23 minutes ago, Weganator said:

Mostly true, but don't sleep on the Jazz.

That's true.  They're a solid team.  I think they're poised to take over the mantle from Memphis as they get old.

• Like 1

Brooks' year away from basketball did him wonders.  Even with the 21-19 record, this season has to be one of the best he's ever coached.  Making lemonade out of lemons despite the limitations of the bench.  I admit, I wasn't keen on the hire when it was announced, but so far, I've been COMPLETELY wrong about the guy.  4/5 starters having career years...Oubre developing before our eyes...etc. etc.  Just like Wall, I just hope the FO does him justice and gets him a better bench.  Oubre/Smith/Sato should be mainstays, but the rest of the unit needs some serious help. 

I like a Sato/Oubre/Smith bench a year or two down the road.  It's going to be inconsistent today though.  Sato and Oubre are young.

I'd also like to see McClellan find a spot in our rotation too.  I think he fits in nicely at SG between Sato and Oubre.  A lot of speed and athleticism on the perimeter in that trio.

The best thing for the bench would be Mahinmi getting healthy.  He would fix so many problems that the team has.  But I'm not going to get my hopes up on him again.  

Attending a road game is a very different experience with this team.  But on the bright side, VC is now developing a home court advantage.  If you go, there is now a really good chance you're going to get to see good basketball and have a good time.

I hope they keep winning at home like this.  It's already starting to feel like the streak is having an effect and the home fans aren't rooting scared any more.  If they keep on winning at home, then the city will embrace the team and the fan base will start to grow.  It's as simple as that.  The city loves basketball and I think they would love to jump on board the pro team's bandwagon.

• Like 1

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

I know nothing about the Capitals.  But I will say this, Scott at least holds his own against Dusty Baker and he's a better coach than Jay Gruden.  Jay is pretty good though.

I'd say this is fair given Dusty hasn't won a ring either.  I'm trying to get into the caps, but their regular season dominance just doesn't matter to me anymore.  The thing with Dusty is he's done it in more then one place, and up until now watching a lot of Nats games, I thought Dusty was the best coach in DC.  Brooks keeps doing what he's doing here, I can see the argument.  Brooks is right now getting more out of his players then Dusty did out of guys like Harper and Rendon.  No one was saying that a month or two ago.

I like Dusty but he's not a very good Xs and Os guy. Players play hard for him and he gets good regular season results but is exposed regularly in the playoffs.

Trotz...who knows. He hasn't done any better then Boudreau in all honesty(great regular seasons, never past round 2 in the playoffs). His roster is loaded. He better win a Cup.

Gruden is decent. He might be 2nd best in the city.

Haven't posted in here much lately but read all the time still. I honestly cannot say enough about how awesome Scott Brooks is. He does have an issue with leaving the bench in too long but I understand why he's doing it. Now if only we could get a good GM to team with Scott we could have something great on our hands. 

Wall is amazing, simply amazing. Beal is becoming what we all thought we were getting with the third pick and Otto is earning a max deal. It's pretty crazy how valuable Jason Smith has become and I'm so happy Thornton hardly sees the floor anymore. Oubre is developing nicely but I'm a bit disappointed in Sato. He seems so timid every time he has the ball. I just want him to take the shot instead of getting scared. 

This team is a complete catch 22 for fans. If we win it leads to more Ernie but I just can't help but want them to do so. It sucks that they're saving the worst GM in all of sports his job but that's life. **** it, let's keep winning and see what happens when Mahinmi is healthy. 

Drove 14 hours today.  From RVA to West Palm...traffic.  What a joy it was to listen to Dave and Glen call it on the radio as I was grinding it out through South Carolina.  When Sato hit that 3 to put us up by 30...whew, that's about as fun as basketball on the radio can get.

Might just go sit in the car for the Grizzlies game. :)

• Like 2

OK I totally and completely gelled on it being a day game.  And I know they have a day game at home every MLK day I just plain forgot.  However I did catch the 30 minute Wizards recap show (which is pretty cool BTW) later in the day yesterday. 

That crossover by John Wall on the assist to the Polish machine was insane.  Sato looked comfortable and competent and Oubre had him a Hell of a game.  A laugher with our starters resting for the 4th quarter?  Holy **** - after a truly ****ty start this thing is starting to come together!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

OK I totally and completely gelled on it being a day game.  And I know they have a day game at home every MLK day I just plain forgot.  However I did catch the 30 minute Wizards recap show (which is pretty cool BTW) later in the day yesterday. 

That crossover by John Wall on the assist to the Polish machine was insane.  Sato looked comfortable and competent and Oubre had him a Hell of a game.  A laugher with our starters resting for the 4th quarter?  Holy **** - after a truly ****ty start this thing is starting to come together!

I just peeped they are 5th in the east

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I only look at box scores, but Morris seems like he has been very solid and underrated...

I think I would enjoy it more if he were a bench player, i don't really enjoy watching him play basketball

he tends to run very hot or very cold, and his effort on rebounding is one of reasons Gortat collects so many. he's the clear weak link in the starting 5. January has been his best month of the season so far, hopefully he keep it up.

If you haven’t been to Verizon Center lately, you’re missing out! The Wizards extended their home winning streak to 12 – the team’s longest in 28 years – with a 120-101 victory over Portland on Monday.

With a 19-11 record in the past 30 games, the Wizards have risen to 5th place in the Eastern Conference.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I just peeped they are 5th in the east

Paloffs is now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

So John Wall is 7th in the East in all-star voting amongst guards and 13th in the NBA. You know who's 12th? Eric Gordon. John, run from DC as fast as you can. He'll never get his due in DC.

Wall is the best PG in the East this year, by far.

Fan voting is always bs.  Jeremy Lin is in the top 10 eastern conference guards receiving votes