Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Damn that final shot looked really bad by Beal. We got outplayed but we had a lot of opportunities to steal this game at the end. If Beal's shot was right I think we would have stolen it. Other than the jumper being off, I thought Beal looked good.

Randy's rotation management was an issue tonight. He iced Nene by leaving him out of the game for 12 minutes in the first half despite the fact he was an early sub in the first and Gooden was getting run ragged by their PFs. He let the team get frustrated and waste possessions and commit bad fouls. And I thought Gortat and Porter probably should have gotten more minutes.

But I think he's also taken far too long to figure out that a Wall + Beal + Porter + Pierce + Nene/Gortat can be our best offensive line up. He was forced into that line up tonight because Nene and Seraphin were in foul trouble and Humphries was hurt. Randy is way too reluctant to go small and space the floor better for Wall and Gortat to do what they do best. Of course I'm not proposing anything new, this is something we've all been saying since last season.

Been said a thousand times before, but this team will never get the most out of it's roster with Randy as HC. He's going to leave a bunch of wins on the table every year.

Porter is going to enjoy the bench for a while.

That would be the worst thing Randy could do. And he'll do it.

3 7 footers on the floor? Let's do to a 4 G lineup. GENIUS

Randy is going to blame Otto for his failure to execute on that play. But in that situation Randy needed to sub in Gooden or Seraphin and not Temple for just that possible outcome. We had a time out, he could have subbed the small line up back in after they secure the rebound.

LOL with saying the officiating is atrocious. It's atrocious in the NBA every game. Not a game goes by in the NBA without atrocious officiating. Silver better do something with the refs in the offseason or they'll start losing fans like me.

We just lost to the Bulls "B" squad. This team is D..O..N..E, done.

Otto Porter trending on twitter for all the wrong reasons lol

Unfortunate that it will overshadow a very good game. Scored eleven on five shots and came up with a big steal and basket in crunch time.

I like Porter but that was just a terrible mistake.

For as good a shooter as Beal is, he sure does have a lot of off games. He might be the worst good shooter in the league.

He's coming off a leg injury. His shot is fine for the most part, the problem is shot selection. And coaching is a big part of that. Our system has him take a lot of 18 foot dribble pull ups.

He's coming off a leg injury. His shot is fine for the most part, the problem is shot selection. And coaching is a big part of that. Our system has him take a lot of 18 foot dribble pull ups.

He's been locked at just under .420 fg% for all three of his NBA seasons.  Whatever the reasons, that's not a great number for a shooter.  Part of it is that he can't get to the rim, the other is that he takes too many off balance and contested mid range shots.  Randy is to blame for his taking too many of those, as he is for the entire team doing the same. 

He's been locked at just under .420 fg% for all three of his NBA seasons.  Whatever the reasons, that's not a great number for a shooter.  Part of it is that he can't get to the rim, the other is that he takes too many off balance and contested mid range shots.  Randy is to blame for his taking too many of those, as he is for the entire team doing the same.

Our system funnels our guards into those mid range shots. It doesn't produce enough good shots for our players, like the good offenses do for their guys.

Wall has improved his shooting percentage this year basically by deciding not to shoot as much and getting better at making tough mid range dribble pull ups. He's not getting better shots. I'm not sure Beal is going to have the luxury of just passing out of shots when they aren't ideal. His role is to be a finisher and he's supposed to lead the team in FGAs. We need him to have the mentality that he has to go out and score.

We need an offense that gets him more attempts from three and an offense that spaces the floor better so that he can get to the rim when he drives instead of having to settle for a dribble pull up just inside the three point line. Way more often than not the floor is not spaced and we don't produce any shifts or compromises in the defense. They can sit in whatever look they want and funnel us into those mid range pull ups.

Beal himself also needs to develop a mid range game for when we can't do those things for him. He needs a floater and he needs a step back. The best volume scoring wings have those kinds of shots for when they can't get the floor spacing they need to attack. Right now Beal is a great set shot shooter and interior finisher but he doesn't have a mid range game--unfortunate because that's where his attempts are coming from.

Not sure I'd place much stock in the "we lost to Chicago's B team" line of criticism. This was basically the same team we faced in the playoffs, minus Butler and Gibson, but plus Gasol, Brooks, and that stretch 4 guy. Chicago always plays tough, regardless of who is in or out of the lineup.

Yeah they're still a good team. Gasol and Noah are All Stars and Mirotic was really good. Better than they probably could have hoped from Jimmy Butler, considering how poorly that guy usually plays against us.

We definitely got outplayed and outcoached last night. Only reason it was close enough for us to steal is because they had a little bit of a meltdown in the fourth quarter and Pierce, Porter, Wall, and Beal made some big plays against the defense. Pierce made some really big shots. Other than that they played cleaner, more aggressive basketball. They got to the line more, played better defense, and they beat us on the glass. Our offense was a mess. Feels like the team has lost confidence in the system and is out there forcing the issue a lot.

I do think we're more talented than them though. We probably win that game despite their superior execution if Beal has even an average shooting night. Or Nene doesn't get tagged with those first four ****ty foul calls. Nene owns Chicago and they were fortunate the refs took him out of the game for them.

The team that starter the season could beat that bulls team in the playoffs. The team they are now will not advance beyond the first round. I'm not convinced this team is out if it's nose dive. The schedule is easier but not easy coming up.

Miami

@milwaukee

@charlotte

Memphis

I can see us losing all 4 of those.

The team that starter the season could beat that bulls team in the playoffs. The team they are now will not advance beyond the first round. I'm not convinced this team is out if it's nose dive. The schedule is easier but not easy coming up.

Miami

@milwaukee

@charlotte

Memphis

I'm still not convinced we make the playoffs. Nothing I've seen from this team in the past month tells me they could hold onto a playoff spot. 

I'm still not convinced we make the playoffs. Nothing I've seen from this team in the past month tells me they could hold onto a playoff spot.

I see us going 2-2 in the next 4. But as bad as we've been we'll make the playoffs almost by default. we'd literally have to lose all but 5 games to miss the playoffs. Not happening. We'll get the 5 or 6 seed and a first round exit is very likely.

Miami

@milwaukee

@charlotte

Memphis

We're playing better than we were but we're still playing poorly. This team is a dead man walking. I don't see how the team could possibly still have confidence in Randy. They're pros so they'll keep working but this is similar to what happened to Indy last season.

There is no rabbit to pull out of any hats to get us believing we can make a run again. The roster is flawed and the coach is bad. Nothing we can do before the end of the season that can change that.

It's a free fall for sure. Coaching exploited, roster shaken up, confidence at an all-time low. I can't even watch the games right now.