Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

In games Otto has started, has he ever failed to break double digits?

The example that gives me a bit of hope is ATL of last year: they were in free-fall collapse, but got some guys healthy late in the year, stabilized, and hung on to the 8 seed, then took Indy to a 7th game, while we only took them to a 6th game. I'm not holding my breath, and I still want Witless and Ernie gone regardless of what happens, but maybe we can still right the ship. What the losing streak might have overshadowed is that Gortat seems to have snapped out of the funk he was in.

Just finished up last nights game. Was tempted to fast forward a bit with the big lead, but something told me to watch it all. A win is a win though, we're not in a position to ask for anything more right now.  We were due for a disproportionately hot night of shooting, the first half was fun anyway.

Edited by StillUnknown

The first half was fun. Everyone on the team was playing great. Moving with purpose on offense and chasing everything down on defense. Pierce and Nene came out and started draining shots right off the bat and that kind of confident shot making trickled down to everyone on the team.

Beal had a rough shooting night but I liked his passing and his defense. Took a cue from Wall and found ways to make an impact without scoring. And he made important shots down the stretch, which you like to see in a player having an off game.

That long stretch in the third and fourth quarters where we started turning it over constantly derailed us. It gave Detroit new life when we should have been burying them. You could feel the collective sphincter of the team just tightening up. But then Nene took over and made some grown man plays and then Wall took us home to the win.

Detroit is a pretty good team, especially when they get good PG play like last night. But I thought Nene and Gortat ended up outplaying Monroe and Drummond and felt that ended up being the margin of victory.

I really liked seeing Gooden on the sidelines in the fourth losing his mind when we scored. That guy is such a pro. You can tell he hasn't quit and he's doing everything he can to get our guys to keep their chins up. He played his ass off last night.

Without him and Nene and Pierce saying enough is enough, we definitely lose that game last night. Especially Nene.

Posted a break down of our summer of 2016 cap situation on RealGM, I think it's helpful to post it every once in a while to keep it in mind.

Wall = 17 million

Gortat = 12

Beal = 11.4

Porter = 5.9

Webster = 5.8 (only 2.5 guaranteed)

Humphries = 4.6

Blair = 2 (unguaranteed)

2015 and 2016 firsts = ~2.6 if we pick around 20 and don't draft Euro stashes.

3 min contracts hold = ~1.9 million

That's 63.2 million. You can cut it to about 58.7 by waiving Webster and Blair & adding two min contract holds (~.8 million).

I've read the cap is going to be between 91 and 95 million that summer. A max deal for Durant at 91 is 27.3 the first season. At 95 it's 28.5.

If the cap is 91 million, then right now we'll have about 5 million in extra cap space after waiving Webster and Blair (don't see why we wouldn't) assuming we keep our draft picks, pick around 20, and don't add any cap commitments for that summer this offseason. We should use that money to sign Beal early this summer. I'd sign him at 12 or 13, and with his injury history, can he turn that down?

• Like 2

Will there even be a "max deal" under the new CBA? Lebron, CP3, and the new union head (can't remember her name) are not in favor of it. I think the league is headed towards a lockout personally. Maybe a long one.

The recent sale prices of teams are going to put the small market owners and the players on islands that are very far apart.

I think it's EXTREMELY important to ink Beal to a 11/12 million dollar deal before the CBA expires.

I'd go as high as 14 per year to get it done. That's just under a current max contract. He doesn't deserve it yet. But there is going to be too much money out there in the marketplace that summer. Someone will offer him a max or near max deal and force us to match it and that max contract will start at like 22.75 million with big annual raises.

Will there even be a "max deal" under the new CBA? Lebron, CP3, and the new union head (can't remember her name) are not in favor of it. I think the league is headed towards a lockout personally. Maybe a long one.

The recent sale prices of teams are going to put the small market owners and the players on islands that are very far apart.

They may not want max deals but they might not have a choice. They'll have to give up something important to get rid of them, that seems like a tough sell to the players as a whole. It wouldn't increase their percentage of the revenue, just concentrate more of it in the hands of fewer players.

The players kind of gave away the shop in the last CBA dropping from 57% to 51% of the total revenue. They know they got the worse end of the deal and I do think they're going to fight for more in this upcoming CBA. I can definitely see a long work stoppage coming. I don't know if they'll get what they want though.

Regardless, it shouldn't effect the cap rules for the summer of 2016 though.

Knowing our luck, we actually will sign Durant and gear ourselves up for a championship run only to have a prolonged work stoppage immediately come into effect and kill our momentum. Then Durant has recurring foot trouble that ends his prime and shortens his career and we never win anything.

14 million for Beal would make him the teams worst contract unless he makes a hell of a leap. Right now he's just a guy. His scoring is inflated by this team running so many plays for him and his playing with Wall. If he was treated like any other player he's an unspectacular 10ppg player.

Hes a guard that hasn't shown he can create his own shot. He's an average defender. He can't initiate the offense. He can't stay healthy.

I'd low ball him and otherwise gamble on letting him earn a contract. Right now he's Wesley Matthews and he hasn't shown anything that takes him out of that category of SG and put him in that next level with Monta Ellis and SGs that can create and make things happen. Ellis makes 9 million a year btw.

You guys are arguing as if there is any doubt beal gets more than any other team would offer on the first day of availability.

No I think there will be teams out there that offer at least 20% of their cap for him in 2016 and I think there will be teams willing to max him. Going to be a TON of money available that summer. Davis and Lillard will already be locked up at max deals. Drummond probably will too. After them, it's Beal.

14 million for Beal would make him the teams worst contract unless he makes a hell of a leap. Right now he's just a guy. His scoring is inflated by this team running so many plays for him and his playing with Wall. If he was treated like any other player he's an unspectacular 10ppg player.

Hes a guard that hasn't shown he can create his own shot. He's an average defender. He can't initiate the offense. He can't stay healthy.

I'd low ball him and otherwise gamble on letting him earn a contract. Right now he's Wesley Matthews and he hasn't shown anything that takes him out of that category of SG and put him in that next level with Monta Ellis and SGs that can create and make things happen. Ellis makes 9 million a year btw.

He's a 21 year old super talent that's already an elite shooter. And he can finish inside like the best guards. His handles are steadily improving and he's a good passer for his position, he doesn't really have any serious flaws. You better believe the league perceives him as more valuable than Wesley Matthews and Monta Ellis and he'll cost accordingly. The basketball world views him as a future perennial All Star.

We need to be real about the massive inflation in player salary that's a year away. I'd prefer to sign him for 11 or 12 million, but getting him at 14 million is a lot better than getting him at 20 million the next summer.

• Like 1

He's a 21 year old super talent that's already an elite shooter. And he can finish inside like the best guards. His handles are steadily improving and he's a good passer for his position, he doesn't really have any serious flaws. You better believe the league perceives him as more valuable than Wesley Matthews and Monta Ellis and he'll cost accordingly. The basketball world views him as a future perennial All Star.

We need to be real about the massive inflation in player salary that's a year away. I'd prefer to sign him for 11 or 12 million, but getting him at 14 million is a lot better than getting him at 20 million the next summer.

I suspect Beal's at the rim % is inflated because he so rarely gets to the rim outside of transition scoring.  Most games he's in he doesn't have a single attempt at the rim that comes out of a half court offensive set.  He is normally caught between the rim and the three point line, because he's got a plodding first step and doesn't have the handles or instincts to be much of a slasher.  That's why he has a fg% lower than his 3p% despite being such a great finisher at the rim according to the stats. 

I flip flop on Beal more than any other player but his step back this season and continued inability to do much off the dribble concerns me.  I'm not sure how valuable he's ever going to be on a team that isn't running a Spurs/Hawks style motion offense. 

Beal is having a down season but SGs of his pedigree are keepers. Let's not forget how good he was in the playoffs last year, which was way beyond expectations of a rookie like him.

I wouldn't be too quick to cast him away unless Kevin Durant is involved in the picture.

Beal is having a down season but SGs of his pedigree are keepers. Let's not forget how good he was in the playoffs last year, which was way beyond expectations of a rookie like him.

I wouldn't be too quick to cast him away unless Kevin Durant is involved in the picture.

I don't want him cut, I just want the wizards to have more players deserving their paychecks on the starting unit and less "well we had to pay him that!" type players. Wall is the only guy on the team that consistently can be relied on to play up to his game check.

I hope the guy turns into a star and earns a huge max deal. I'd be thrilled.

• Like 1

Seriously Gortat has been a beast inside. This is some of the best rim protection I've seen from him. He's dialed in.

Love Wall's aggression but he needs to be smarter with some of his passes.

Gortat finishes the quarter with 2 blocks and 5 boards. That doesn't account for all of his rim protection either.

Otto's three ball looks good tonight. Smooth.

We're lucky the score is close after shooting so poorly to start and turning it over so much.