Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Dre' looked good running the AARP unit. There is no denying that. He knew when to kick it out for perimeter shots, and how to get others involved. He really made the second unit work. Then we went completely away from perimeter shooting this season in favor of Seraphin hook shots and Humphries mid-range madness. Dude could play for another 2-3 years. I guarantee it. Go back and watch Dre playing defense in the Toronto game a week or two ago. He was moving as good as Temple has ever moved. If he was 109, then why is he playing almost 30 min? Dude still has game and is 1000x the player Sessions will ever be.

Its the design of the offense and Wittman's awful game plan.

Its not that we dont have shooters, its that the plays getting them the shots are blown up now. atleast 40% of the three's we were getting early on were wall's superman jump pass. Well, now teams are just running butler or insert other shooter off the 3pt line and jumping all passing lanes. Seriously, we are going to have about 40 turnovers in Milwaukee if we run the same plays. Its not the players, its the system. We've been found out. And nothing has changed.

we didnt go away from perimeter shooting in the 2nd unit.

Those guys couldnt hit 3s anymore. They regressed to the mean.

Edited by JoeWolf990

we didnt go away from perimeter shooting in the 2nd unit.

Those guys couldnt hit 3s anymore. They regressed to the mean.

Last years second unit was: Miller, Beal, Webster, Gooden, and Harrington. Thats 4 perimeter players, and one of them is a starter.

This years second unit was: Miller, Butler/Webster/Porter, Seraphin, Humphries. We went from 4 to almost 0. On top of that, every single one of those guys plays in the post, clogging the lanes. You cant hit 3's if only one guy is a threat from 3 and he is a 35 year old vagabond that was shooting the best he has ever had in his life. ( and where most of his 3's were coming from Wall anyways).

• Like 2

Last years second unit was: Miller, Beal, Webster, Gooden, and Harrington. Thats 4 perimeter players, and one of them is a starter.

This years second unit was: Miller, Butler/Webster/Porter, Seraphin, Humphries. We went from 4 to almost 0. On top of that, every single one of those guys plays in the post, clogging the lanes. You cant hit 3's if only one guy is a threat from 3 and he is a 35 year old vagabond that was shooting the best he has ever had in his life. ( and where most of his 3's were coming from Wall anyways).

my apologies, I thought you were talking about October to early December.

You're right.

Last year we actually had shooters to space the floor with Wall. Wall himself hit over 100 3s then; is he on pace for that this year? I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like it. Webster could actually hit them; he has been a MAJOR disappointment this year. When he slumped down the stretch last year I figured it was because he was dealing with his bad back then, and that he'd be back to his 12 ppg avg this year now that he's had surgery. Whoops. Harrington played well during that 4-game winning streak we had right at the end of last year, and hit 3s. Hell, even Gooden was hitting 3s last year, and played over his head for a sizeable stretch there. Pierce played well for the first few months of this year, but aside from the occasional 20+point game, hasn't done much since, and hasn't been reliable from 3.

There were long stretches of last year when we underachieved and even slumped, but we were almost never blown out. Our only problems then were winning close games and stringing together wins, problems I thought we had licked early this year, but alas........

Last year we actually had shooters to space the floor with Wall. Wall himself hit over 100 3s then; is he on pace for that this year? I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like it. Webster could actually hit them; he has been a MAJOR disappointment this year. When he slumped down the stretch last year I figured it was because he was dealing with his bad back then, and that he'd be back to his 12 ppg avg this year now that he's had surgery. Whoops. Harrington played well during that 4-game winning streak we had right at the end of last year, and hit 3s. Hell, even Gooden was hitting 3s last year, and played over his head for a sizeable stretch there. Pierce played well for the first few months of this year, but aside from the occasional 20+point game, hasn't done much since, and hasn't been reliable from 3.

There were long stretches of last year when we underachieved and even slumped, but we were almost never blown out. Our only problems then were winning close games and stringing together wins, problems I thought we had licked early this year, but alas........

Yeah this doesn't feel like the underachievement from last season. This feels like total collapse. This is the first time since Wall got healthy we haven't played at least .500 ball for more than a small stretch. It's been two full months of our worst play since 5-28. Randy is done.

Andrew Sharp: What's Wrong with the Wizards

They couldn’t sign Ariza because Grunfeld had already overpaid Webster. They had to trade for Gortat because they built a team around two big men, and then Okafor got hurt. They traded for Nene because betting big on JaVale McGee — shocker — didn’t work out. They had to sign Kris Humphries last summer because they couldn’t rely on Drew Gooden all year. They needed Gooden last year because they’ve never used a second-round pick on a decent big man. You can play this game with almost the entire roster, all the way to pinning the entire season on whether Rasual Butler can ever start making 3s again.

I don’t even have a problem with his allergy to 3s. But if he wants to play big, playing Seraphin and Humphries over Gortat is incomprehensible. An offense designed around dribble handoffs to free up 18-foot jumpers makes no sense. Neither does feeding it into post players who suck at post-ups. Run a pick-and-roll with Gortat and Wall; run high screens for Wall to drive and kick to Beal for 3-pointers; go small with Pierce at the 4 and Otto Porter at the 3. I’m not a basketball coach, and I know Grunfeld’s roster is rough, but a team with Wall at point guard should never look this bad on offense.

It shouldn’t matter that Wall apparently swears by him. Using Wittman to coach Wall is like using a bus driver to drive a Formula One car. And he’s been even worse with Beal.

Does it worry anyone else for Andrew Wiggins's future that he has the same coach Wall had as a rookie?

they lucked into something good when Rubio and Martin got hurt earlier this season. Rubio because it forced Wiggins to get shots on his own and grow. And Martin because it moved Wiggins to the 2 and had Muhammad starting.

Wiggins at the 2 is gonna be great but he is playing the 3 because of Martin and Muhammad is out for season now.

the big issue is that Flip runs the organization despite never showing the ability to do so.

Edited by JoeWolf990
  • Like 1

If this doesn't tell you about Ernie's ineptitude.... take from REALGM

I just did a little research to try and quantify the staggering ineptitude of our front office.

EG has been the GM since the Summer of 2003. We've played almost 12 full seasons with him at the helm. In those 12 seasons, our best record was 45 wins. That is, we never won 46 or more games (or an equivalent winning percentage in a strike shortened year). Here's a list of the number of times other teams have won 46 or more games:

SAN 12
DAL 10
DEN 7
OKC 7
PHO 7
CHI 6
HOU 6
LAL 6
MEM 6
MIA 6
BOS 5
CLE 5
LAC 5
ORL 5
POR 5
ATL 4
GSW 4
IND 4
UTA 4
NOP 3
TOR 3
BRK 2
MIL 2
SAC 2
MIN 1
NY 1
CHA 0
PHI 0
WAS 0

So only Charlotte and Philly have equaled our ineptitude. Brooklyn, Milwaukee, Sacramento, Minnesota and New York haven't been much better. (To be fair, the possibility exists that we will exceed 45 wins this year, but it's looking less and less likely).

The frustrating thing is that we don't seem to care about sucking. Ernie Grunfeld has been GM for 12 freaking years! Only Riley, Kupchak, Buford and Ainge have a longer tenure. At least the other crappy teams are trying to fix their management problem. Ted doesn't seem to care. In the past 12 years, New York and Brooklyn have each had 5 different GM's. Philly has burned through 4 GMs. Charlotte has had 3. Milwaukee has had just 2 GM's but they seem to be on the upswing. Sacramento and Minnesota have had only 2 GM's during the past 12 years, but both teams fire their inept GM's this past summer.

And people were ready to crown Ernie GOAT GM like 20 games into the season lol

• Like 2

Does it worry anyone else for Andrew Wiggins's future that he has the same coach Wall had as a rookie?

Not as worried as i would be with Wittman being the coach. They may come from the same tree and all, but Flip has never had an issue with throwing the kids in the ocean and letting them learn how to swim. But will Min ever be in contention? With Rubio, no. Dude not only cant shoot, but refuses to. Prob not with Flip either, but i dunno.

@NoExcuses

That hurt.

Not as worried as i would be with Wittman being the coach. They may come from the same tree and all, but Flip has never had an issue with throwing the kids in the ocean and letting them learn how to swim. But will Min ever be in contention? With Rubio, no. Dude not only cant shoot, but refuses to. Prob not with Flip either, but i dunno.

@NoExcuses

That hurt.

no, he def has an issue with that LOL.

Injuries forced his hand this year.

Shoot he only came to the Wizards to coach vets. Then mentally quit once they all got traded.

• Like 1