Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wittman: “We don’t have guys that will put the ball on the floor and attack the rim, get cheap fouls, get to the free-throw line

Wittman on conclusion of 2nd qtr: “We took three of the God-awfulest shots we can take, all threes, like we’re smoking hot from three.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wittman has no answers. He's in over his head and this is painful to watch. The team lost their swagger and we're playing scared even when we have leads like today. They've lost their fight. The team came apart and it feels like they can't wait for the season to end. Wall is the only one out there doing his thing but that's what a star does.

There are no solutions left to save the season. Deadline is over and the roster is just worn out. Going to newman might produce a small bump but its not going to balance out an unbalanced roster or make old legs younger. It won't make a group of passive players play with aggression and swagger.

We really don't have anything to lose now, I'd be experimenting. First move to make is Pierce at the four, start Butler and Porter until Heal gets back and then just run and launch threes and run Gortat PnRs all day in the half court. We ****ing suck at defense right now anyway. Time to go small and run.

• Like 1

Jorge Castillo

‏@jorgeccastillo

Wittman: “We don’t have guys that will put the ball on the floor and attack the rim, get cheap fouls, get to the free-throw line.”

Its never Wittman's fault..............

To be fair... I've been saying the same thing all season.  Many of us have.  This team just doesn't have enough players that can take two dribbles and either score or pass.  These guys stand around and need to be assisted or their effectiveness falls through the basement.  Even our supposed 2nd star, Beal, has horrible handles.  When you combine that inability with Wittmans horrid offense you're left with a situation in which the defense and shooting have to be fantastic, or the opponent has to be average or worse, in order to win. 

• Like 4

The thing is... Isn't that exactly what glen rice brought to this team? Attacking the rim, getting to the line, and athleticism? I am by no means saying he would fix our problem, but surely he would be better than temple playing 30 minutes. Dude has been biting hard on everything, looking for steals, and it's cost the team big time.

It's not like we are even playing a perimeter shooting team. This is Detroit. They had pope, butler, and Anthony freaking Toliver raining open threes.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

Otto Porter, right now, looks like the worst player drafted in the first round of 2013. That's upsetting because he started this season looking terrific.

Wittman and Grunfeld have bungled Porters development.

Agreed. He needed to be playing ever since he got back from his initial injury. Benched for mistakes. The team needed to make a commitment to playing him and developing him after picking him 3rd overall and they really didn't. Now I think he's behind the curve and that's a dangerous place for a young player's career.

His lack of a three ball has really hurt him. It's the thing keeping him off the court when you get down to it. There is so little shooting from everywhere else on the team outside Beal that Randy buried Porter for much lesser talents because they can hit threes.

A team with Wall at PG and Nene at PF probably can't afford to be drafting a SF without a three ball with a 3rd overall draft pick. Especially if they've got Ariza and Webster. This was botched and the cause is that Ernie has built an unbalanced roster where too few of the pieces are complimentary. Wall + Beal + Gortat is the start of something that makes sense with each other. But Wall's and Nene's games have never really meshed. Wall should be playing with stretch fours and PnR finishers that can run. If he was fortunate enough to play with Blake Griffin or Kevin Love, we'd be in another league offensively. And Pierce is just old, but again, not a natural fit with Wall.

The only way I see to really salvage Porter is for him to get a three ball this summer and for Ernie to get rid of the crutches Randy is using to avoid playing him. Porter needs to let threes ****ing fly and not be scared to EVER shoot them. He needs to get aggressive. And that'll be easier if he's not getting his PT yanked around by Randy, not afraid to get benched if he screws up. The lightbulb isn't going to turn on fast enough for him to really catch on here otherwise.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Ernie needs to get rid of Wittman entirely, no matter what happens with Porter. He earned himself a reprieve by beating the Bulls but that's looking more and more like a favorable matchup. He's not up to the job and it's time for a coach that knows something about offense.

• Like 3

Ernie needs to get rid of Wittman entirely, no matter what happens with Porter. He earned himself a reprieve by beating the Bulls but that's looking more and more like a favorable matchup. He's not up to the job and it's time for a coach that knows something about offense.

Agreed. I like the guy and don't like calling for his job. And I don't like the idea of Wall being on his third head coach. But Wittman's in over his head. We've been given a rare opportunity with Wall. We need to make the most of it and that's only going to happen with a better coach.

I wish Steve Kerr was our coach.

• Like 1

Shocked is a strong word to use when Ernie and Ted are at the top and the team is likely to make the playoffs.

Just read a good quote on BF in talking about Mark Jackson (that can be applied to Witt).  Not verbatim but, "Jackson was seen as the right coach at the time, but the wrong coach for the long run." 

Agreed. I like the guy and don't like calling for his job. And I don't like the idea of Wall being on his third head coach. But Wittman's in over his head. We've been given a rare opportunity with Wall. We need to make the most of it and that's only going to happen with a better coach.I wish Steve Kerr was our coach.

I'd take Jason Kidd too