Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Was Danny Smith Allowed To Keep A Job? The all things Danny Smith Thread(Merged & M.E.T.)

McD5

I'm glad that he turned it around, but that doesn't absolve him for having an atrocious kicking game for years.

I'm happy to eat crow, though.

This is what makes us weak. Thing like "forgiveness" or "maybe it will be better" or "he/she/they have turned a corner" or "he/she/they have earned another chance." This is what needs to stamped out, eradicated, and only the classic, purest form of gladiatorial priorities be applied to running this team. Victory now or death now! Wait...crap. Took the wrong pills again..

This is what makes us weak. Thing like "forgiveness" or "maybe it will be better" or "he/she/they have turned a corner" or "he/she/they have earned another chance." This is what needs to stamped out, eradicated, and only the classic, purest form of gladiatorial priorities be applied to running this team. Victory now or death now! Wait...crap. Took the wrong pills again..

Absolutely. If you make a statement, regardless of how outlandish it is, then you do not need to admit to and retract it. Every time you do, Romo sits to pee throws a completion.

Which shows you how incredibly rare it is.

Well, 1 good year cancels out seven bad ones, so long as it's the latest one.

Good for Danny in getting it turned around.

(Big stroke of luck on Forbath. I'll take it!)

~Bang

---------- Post added January-4th-2013 at 09:07 PM ----------

Every time you do, Romo sits to pee throws a completion.

:ols:

Awesome

~Bang

Those longer returns are really rare. Smith's problem was never kick coverage. I mean RGIII throws interceptions, too, but I'm not going to call him a pick machine when he only throws five in a season (got damn we're lucky!).

Smith's problem has ALWAYS been the kicking game. Blocked kicks, missed kicks, bad kicker selection, and so on. Returns could be better, but, well, Banks sucks and I blame everything, swine flu included, on Banks.

Like Bang said, he nailed the Forbaith pick-up.

Like Bang said, he nailed the Forbaith pick-up.

I wouldn't say that... he had a competition, cut them both, signed Cundif at the last minute, lost some games, and then he desperately stuck his thumb up his ass and pulled a plum.

that's OK. I like plums.

~Bang

• 2 weeks later...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/bobby-april-carolina-panthers-nfl-job-openings-011513

Report: April interviews for Panthers
A person familiar with the situation says the Carolina Panthers interviewed Bobby April on Tuesday for their special teams coordinator position.
April spent the past three seasons as the Philadelphia Eagles' special teams coordinator.

---------- Post added January-19th-2013 at 12:52 AM ----------

___

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html

Raiders: Sources tell me that Bobby April has interviewed for the special teams coordinator position with Dennis Allen.
Written by Pete Roussel

Posted by: Pete Roussel on Friday January 18, 2013

I think the reason that Danny Smith sticks around is because he helps the coaches out on basic football knowledge. He is always in the ear of who ever our coach is, and it seems like in the past he has been about to advise our coaches on rules, clock management, and making observations about what is going on the field.

All those things are skills that you would EXPECT the head coach to have, but I really think there are a lot of coaches that are not up on the rules, that don't understand clock management (though they may still be good coaches). Danny Smith sticking around puts them at ease because he seems to know that stuff.

---------- Post added January-19th-2013 at 02:40 AM ----------

I wouldn't say that... he had a competition, cut them both, signed Cundif at the last minute, lost some games, and then he desperately stuck his thumb up his ass and pulled a plum.

that's OK. I like plums.

~Bang

You are right, he is really lucky that Forbaith turned out the way he did. He had an opportunity to get him earlier and didn't. We had two kickers in training camp, and we cut both of them for a guy that was WORSE than both of them. He was so bad that we had to pick a guy off the street that had never played before, and just lucked out with him.

If he had picked him up early, and went with him all off-season, then you would give Danny some credit for Kia, but you really can't award him the way it played out this year.

So I'm reading this thread and thinking back on watching special teams during the games the last few years, and I'm convinced DS has been cursed with the same affliction that affects most coaches in the NFL: conservatism. The discussion about him kicking it to the corner is one element of that. The fact that he brought Rackers in to be "competition" for Gano then snagged Cundiff is another element - those guys were all "proven" commodities. Ever notice how many retread kickers there are around the league? I don't blame him for following the trend, he's just a product of the system. These guys are scared stiff of doing anything that will get them fired; ironically, such behavior usually leads to that anyway. The only other young kicker I can think of us bringing in was that punter a few years ago who folded under the pressure; probably took a lot courage to take a chance on Forbath after that debacle. I really think we have gained an advantage over our rivals by taking more chances on young players, experimenting with new schemes, bold gameplans, and going for it on 4th more often.

I guess that in the playoff 'afterglow', many on ES are now in a forgiving mood about Smith -- but I still think we could do a lot better than him.

Frankly, a large portion of Smith's "success" was due to Shanahan/Allen drafting well and build depth of quality players on the Skins roster. Consequently, Smith has been provided better players for his special teams, and get better results. But let's not forget how he was lobbying hard for folks like Cundiff and Banks.

I'd really hoped Shanahan and Allen might be open to an 'upgrade' of the ST coach during this off-season However, it now seems the Skins FO decided to stick Smith, even though there were some really good special teams coaches who became available. Dave Toub, formerly of the Bears, signed with the Chiefs. And now it looks like Bobby April will be signing with the Panthers. I firmly believe that either of those guys would have been a good upgrade over Smith, and am puzzled why the Skins didn't even try to pursue them.

Now some may feel that Smith is in the same class of ST coach as Toub or April -- but I certainly don't. I think Smith's a middle of the pack coach, at best! I question his ability to develop players, or to get them to consistently play well in his play-schemes. His traditionally shaky punting and kicking games, only improved after he was given Rocca and Forbath -- two players he didn't develop. During his years with the Skins -- I can't think of any "standouts" emerging from all the players under his charge, unless you want to give him credit for Lorenzo Alexander. I can certainly remember some flops though.

I'll stop now -- don't want to ruin folk's playoff afterglow. So I'll end, by noting how this team's talent level is getting better each year, and I suspect we're going to see decent ST play in 2013, with or without Smith.

Either way,, they always say football is a "what have you done for me lately" business, and i think I've used that as an argument against Smith. If i use that logic to damn him, I have to use it to praise him.

Some work needs to be done in the return game, but overall our special teams were pretty good this year, mistakes and penalties were way down, field goals were made, kicks were well covered.

Danny Smith is now on my Sugar list instead of my **** list.

~Bang

Smith is at the mercy of team needs when we get to 53 and Bryan Kehl is an example of a special team player that had to be cut until spot opened up during the year. We have great depth on the IR,Suspended and Newly Signed List and this should help Special Teams next year.

... Dave Toub, formerly of the Bears, signed with the Chiefs.

Wow, I didn't know that he left Chicago. I was asleep. I just passed right over that info.

That's just nuts, he's one of the best, if not the best.

Wow. I wanted him last year before he re-uped with chicago, now he just up an vanishes like a fart in the wind.

And now it looks like Bobby April will be signing with the Panthers. I firmly believe that either of those guys would have been a good upgrade over Smith, and am puzzled why the Skins didn't even try to pursue them.

You're not just whistling Dixie.

---------- Post added January-19th-2013 at 08:49 PM ----------

oh:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/19/raiders-hire-bobby-april-as-special-teams-coordinator/

April to the Raiders.

Either way,, they always say football is a "what have you done for me lately" business, and i think I've used that as an argument against Smith. If i use that logic to damn him, I have to use it to praise him.

Some work needs to be done in the return game, but overall our special teams were pretty good this year, mistakes and penalties were way down, field goals were made, kicks were well covered.

Danny Smith is now on my Sugar list instead of my **** list.

~Bang

This is why I enjoy discussing and debating things with you so much, Bang. Right here. And just like you're willing to change your mind, I said at the beginning of this season that I'd do the same and that I'll stand by you on Danny if he doesn't have one of his best years here since the depth on this team has improved by a lot. Furthermore, I specifically said I thought we would see his teams improve as the season went on because of said depth and, fortunately for all of us (and my very fragile self-esteem), that is exactly what happened.

I'm not sure you're willing to go so far as to say you agree with me on my views on Danny, but I think it's safe to say that there was definitely some degree of truth in the two defenses I gave for Danny... that he was as much a casualty of the rebuild as our offense and defense; as well as the fact that Special Team's is made up of depth and that's the area our roster suffered in for so long until now.

---------- Post added January-19th-2013 at 09:58 PM ----------

Wow bang, I never thought I'd here u say this. Please we need a cartoon for the sugar and &$&$ list.

Nah, one thing Bang has shown is his sincerity. I'm not surprised at all.

He actually made a thread in 2010, I believe, giving Danny Smith props at one point.

• 2 weeks later...
@EdBouchette #Steelers get permission from Redskins to talk to their ST coach Danny Smith a Pgh native

Yep, I posted this in another thread. I just wonder who we can get to replace Smith if he leaves?

---------- Post added January-28th-2013 at 05:26 PM ----------

TK ‏@TKextremeskins

I expect Danny Smith back on another 1 year deal. Steeler visit to gauge market value for new contract in Washington

I replied back to Tandler to see who he thinks might be available IF Smith walks.

This from TK on twitter.

TK ‏@TKextremeskins

I expect Danny Smith back on another 1 year deal. Steeler visit to gauge market value for new contract in Washington

This is why I enjoy discussing and debating things with you so much, Bang. Right here. And just like you're willing to change your mind, I said at the beginning of this season that I'd do the same and that I'll stand by you on Danny if he doesn't have one of his best years here since the depth on this team has improved by a lot. Furthermore, I specifically said I thought we would see his teams improve as the season went on because of said depth and, fortunately for all of us (and my very fragile self-esteem), that is exactly what happened.

I'm not sure you're willing to go so far as to say you agree with me on my views on Danny, but I think it's safe to say that there was definitely some degree of truth in the two defenses I gave for Danny... that he was as much a casualty of the rebuild as our offense and defense; as well as the fact that Special Team's is made up of depth and that's the area our roster suffered in for so long until now..

Thanks! There's no sense being a fan if you can't be an honest fan, as far as I'm concerned. If there's one thing we all share in common it's that we're offering opinions here.. and opinions can be wrong, and can also be changed.

I think there is probably something to yours and others points about the roster and the ability of the players, but to defend my own points, it didn't matter... results matter.

Now the results are better. As an outsider with only an opinion based on my very limited access.. either he's changed something or they've gotten better, or a combination of the two.. who knows.

whatever it is, this year it worked, and that's all I'm concerned about.

~Bang

Archived