Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Was Danny Smith Allowed To Keep A Job? The all things Danny Smith Thread(Merged & M.E.T.)

McD5

I'm not going to bother defending him but doesn't anyone find it odd that other than fans on this board, any time you hear his name it's about how he's well respected around the league?

Yep. In the past I have noted how multiple excellent, Super Bowl appearing/winning (a couple with multiple wins) coaches have either hired him, kept him, or sought his services/expressed interest. Mike Tomlin is just another to the list that includes Joe Gibbs, Mike Shanahan, Andy Reid, John Fox, Jim Zorn (okay... kidding...), etc.

I've sometimes failed to see what they see myself, but given that these guys have access to information film I/we don't, and they certainly know more about football coaching than I do, I've always given him the benefit of the doubt, though I do have sympathy for the position that results are paramount, no matter how good a coach might theoretically be.

I've always been partial myself, though, to the opinion offered earlier that Smith has been a victim of poor depth/GMing (I love Gibbs, and think his second run of coaching was very good, but he has never been a good personnel guy), since we all know that depth has been a weakness for the Redskins for years, and depth is where special teams players come from.

That certainly makes more sense to me, including this year's success, than the idea that a highly respected, very veteran special teams coach suddenly "learned" how to coach better last year.

Or he's got a Hoover-esque file with lots of pictures. Of lots of people.

Whichever.

I'm pretty sure I posted all this earlier in this thread somewhere, but I don't feel like looking.

Shanahan gave Smith an extension when Denver wanted him and is signed for this year.But two years ago Pittsburgh wanted to talk with Danny and Mike refused the Steelers.

Smith has been a Snyder favorite for years but after our 10-6 year;Shanny is on solid ground.

Maybe this guy takes over for Smith IF he leaves. Acutally, our new ST coach MIGHt already be on our coaching staff.

http://www.redskins.com/team/coaches/Richard-Hightower/98ad695a-ac1b-4a7b-9404-9706c6b4f8c1

Richard

Hightower

Assistant Defensive Backs/Special Teams

good call... wouldn't be surprised if he gets promoted to either secondary's coach once Morris is gone or ST coach if Danny leaves. We'll see.

I've always been partial myself, though, to the opinion offered earlier that Smith has been a victim of poor depth/GMing (I love Gibbs, and think his second run of coaching was very good, but he has never been a good personnel guy), since we all know that depth has been a weakness for the Redskins for years, and depth is where special teams players come from.

That's been my argument as well. Looking at the personnel we've had, do you really expect performance much better than we have had? None of the punters we've let go have played for other teams. Only one kicker (Suisham) has found success beyond the Redskins, and it wasn't a Smith decision to let him go. You can argue that he might have had some say in those players, but he's limited to what the personnel department brings in. And yes, for the longest time, this roster was thinner than tissue paper and that shows up the most in Special Teams.

This isn't an argument for keeping him from going. There's always a point when you decide you need new blood, no matter how good a coach someone has been. But, let's not pretend that the next guy will be able to perform the miracles that Smith was expected to do here. Talent is always a limited factor for a coach.

I hope this true....Smith's teams have been far from special for a long time

Smith has taken the blame but the fact is that special teams quality only comes when you have good roster depth, something we haven't had in well over a decade. Think about it, we have barely had the talent to field a pro team for years and Smith for the most part has only had the backups to a crapy team to work with. The fact is that a LOT of quality head coaches respect Smith and at some point you have to realize that they know a lot more than we do.

I hope this true....Smith's teams have been far from special for a long time

Oh, they've been special alright....Special Ed!

---------- Post added January-29th-2013 at 01:33 PM ----------

That's been my argument as well. Looking at the personnel we've had, do you really expect performance much better than we have had? None of the punters we've let go have played for other teams. Only one kicker (Suisham) has found success beyond the Redskins, and it wasn't a Smith decision to let him go. You can argue that he might have had some say in those players, but he's limited to what the personnel department brings in. And yes, for the longest time, this roster was thinner than tissue paper and that shows up the most in Special Teams.

This isn't an argument for keeping him from going. There's always a point when you decide you need new blood, no matter how good a coach someone has been. But, let's not pretend that the next guy will be able to perform the miracles that Smith was expected to do here. Talent is always a limited factor for a coach.

Smith has taken the blame but the fact is that special teams quality only comes when you have good roster depth, something we haven't had in well over a decade. Think about it, we have barely had the talent to field a pro team for years and Smith for the most part has only had the backups to a crapy team to work with. The fact is that a LOT of quality head coaches respect Smith and at some point you have to realize that they know a lot more than we do.

And I can dig what you guys are saying. We've had a serious lack of depth on the team as a whole that has affected the offense, defense and special teams, but I'd like to see some new blood at that position. Danny has been around since Gibbs and Joe has been gone 5 years now.

I'm not going to bother defending him but doesn't anyone find it odd that other than fans on this board, any time you hear his name it's about how he's well respected around the league?

Again, don't really want to defend him but just always thought that was interesting.

He's the most awesome gum chewer in the league! That's probably it.

Big time statement being made by Shanahan letting Smith interview for the same position w/the Steelers.

Yeah, had TK not mentioned that this is more about setting market value for a one year deal for Danny, I'd have to say that doesn't speak well to how much Mike likes Danny and wants him around.

Yeah, had TK not mentioned that this is more about setting market value for a one year deal for Danny, I'd have to say that doesn't speak well to how much Mike likes Danny and wants him around.

Something John Keim mentioned on Twitter is that Smith has a lot of connections with the coaching staff in Pittsburgh and his father lives up there. It is possible that Smith is looking to move on and asked Shanahan if he could interview.

Something John Keim mentioned on Twitter is that Smith has a lot of connections with the coaching staff in Pittsburgh and his father lives up there. It is possible that Smith is looking to move on and asked Shanahan if he could interview.

I didn't know that... certainly a good point. :)

With all this collective thought on here to embrace our past issues, I.E. Karl Swanson, Vinny Cerrato, Jim Zorn...

Danny Smith will probably be let go

That's what I first thought when I read that he was interviewing with another team .. perhaps Danny has been "informed" that it would be in his best interest to start looking for a new career.

Archived