Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about Stephon Heyer

skins4ever17

I view Heyer as the kind of backup OT that you want. He's young, cheap, and has starting experience at both tackle positions. He's a decent pass blocker, but a bad run blocker. Then again, who on the O-line right now IS a good run blocker? He can start a game or 2 during the year if need be, come in for a drive or 2 a game and give the starter a breather. Sure, he'll make mistakes, but Flozell Adams was a pro-bowler, and Jamaal Brown is known for his holding penalties. Stick him in at RT for a game or 2, and he'll be servicable, which is really all you can ever ask of a backup. Especially on a team as bad at depth as ours.

Assuming he will play today at RT, how is he overall?

I heard he is garbage, but sometimes when I watch him he shows potential and he seems decent in pass blocking situations.

Stephon Heyer is a solid back-up swing OT and a slightly better then servicaeable starter.

Naturally the majority of fans in this forum hate him.

He played terrible last year and was one of the worst OT in football, although he played better then a healthy Levi Jones (whom most people in this forum gave a pass)

But most people forget that Stephon played most of the season with a major knee injury and was barely able to practice most of the season.

Its speaks to both his toughness and our lack of depth that we didn't have anyone better then an injured Stephon Heyer to play OT.

Heyer was one of the first players re-signed and the new FO has said good things about him since they've been in Washington.

The problem a lot of people on this forum have when talking about backups is that they expect them to be as good as the starters. For the most part, they are not, otherwise they would be starting somewhere. If not here, someplace else.

Heyer is a solid backup OT who can play on both sides of the line. He's probably not athletic enough to be a full time starter, but he is a good guy to come off the bench and give you a solid outing.

Stephon Heyer is a solid back-up swing OT and a slightly better then servicaeable starter.

Naturally the majority of fans in this forum hate him.

He played terrible last year and was one of the worst OT in football, although he played better then a healthy Levi Jones (whom most people in this forum gave a pass)

But most people forget that Stephon played most of the season with a major knee injury and was barely able to practice most of the season.

Its speaks to both his toughness and our lack of depth that we didn't have anyone better then an injured Stephon Heyer to play OT.

Heyer was one of the first players re-signed and the new FO has said good things about him since they've been in Washington.

I thought you were nuts last year when you said Heyerdahl was better than Jones. When I went back to the tape, I agreed with you.however, I strongly disagree that Heyer is a serviceable starter. As soon as he went in last week, he negated a huge play, and could have cost us the game. Our whole game plan was altered with Heyer in there, as we were forced into quicker drops etc. Heyer didnt receive very good reviews from the press that was at training camp either. He's been a below average since I can remember.

I also disagree that Heyer is an ideal backup. Your ideal backup is a guy that can be groomed as a potential future starter, a guy like Perey Riley or Kevin barnes for instance. We already know what we have in Heyer.

I'm not saying I'd cut him, but I'd definitely upgrade next offseason given the chance. Everytime Heyer goes in my blood pressure goes up.

Stephon Heyer is a warrior. He has played thru injuries for the Skins ... and, most folks forget that. Also, he has been asked to play a new position, and not the regular position he played during his college career. He was under Joe Bugel's care for a few years -- who indicated he is solid.

Now, folks expect him to be Chris Samuels .. and, that's laughable! Remember where we got him in the draft -- precisely! A undrafted free agent. He is decent enough pinch starter, and a solid backup. He has room to grow, and will.

Now, lets compare Stephon to Carlos who we took in the first round. He is a bigger disappointment. He is not an ELITE DB, has stone hands, and gets beaten way to often.

He has talent, if not he wouldn't make the cut ... or would he?

The point about Carlos is the comparison. Let's compare "apples to apples". Stephon was a project -- still is. He was great, he would have been drafted in the 1st round.

Archived