Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about Stephon Heyer

skins4ever17

I know you like Heyer, but his penalties have reached a Shar Pourdanesh like level. He is making me crazy, and could have cost us the game yesterday. His holding penalty against Mario Williams may well have cost us the Texans game. Maybe no backup OT would do that well against Williams, but Heyer is good for multiple penalties a game, and the bigger the situation, the higher the likelihood of a flag. Wasn't Heyer's holding call yesterday at the goal line right before McNabb threw his INT?

Woah, when did i start liking Heyer?

Heyer is what he is a back-up swing OT and slighty better then serviceable starter.

I don't understand how fans can develop that level of hatred for a player that basically giving his best effort.

E.g. Against the Rams he had the exact same if not better then game the Jamal Brown: both had 2 penalties 1 false start 1 holding penalty but mum on this board about Jamal Brown.

Yet ,Heyer, a back-up should be cut?

You mention the holding penalty against Mario Williams; but Mario is an elite pass rusher that gives starting OT fits.

Did Heyer have a perfect game? Nope.

But, its par for the course for a back-up LT going against Trent Cole.

It is easy to be upset with Heyer for the holding on a running play when he wasn't near the point of attack and for a big false start penalty that may have kept the Redskins from running out the clock at the end of the game but on the plus side he helped keep pro bowler Trent Cole in check and the team had success running to his side so overall he was okay.

Expectations are the father of all disappointments. When Heyer was signed, he's a local guy, a starter at Maryland coming into a unit that had been neglected for a very long time and had geriatrics playing most of the positions. The talk of ES at the time had a lot to do with "that good OL that is often found in the later rounds". The expectations were ridiculously higth, especially for a guy that 31 other teams bypassed in the draft. Regardless, when reality struck home with how mediocre the guy is and the general lack of respect that fans feel for almost all of the draft picks of the Cerrato era, it caused resentment and Heyer bears the brunt of those failed expectations. Especially so, when he's asked to play Left Tackle, the most important OL position.

I am no Heyer fan, by any stretch, and I wish we had 2 Trent Williams as bookend tackles. But the Skins have who they have and the OL was the most neglected unit of the Cerrato era. Heyer knows the offense and the other players. That's not much, but we tried other tackles in last year's market (Levi Jones) and really did not find a lot of improvement over Heyer, as bad as he is. Having protested so loudly when he was originally signed, it's strange to find myself defending him, but, as a backup, he's about as good as we're going to get. We got a W with him playing yesterday, he didn't get McNabb killed, and he gave Trent a chance to get healthy. Not much, but it has been much worse on the Skins OLine in recent years. I'm just grateful we had a warm bidy to play LT after Williams's injury. Better to play the warm biody than to take a chance of getting Trent hurt for the entire year.

I was listening to the game on UK radio last night (we get one game a week and it was our turn yesterday) and even that commentator knew about Heyer and all his inopportune penalties. One time when a flag was thrown he just said "well that is bound to be number 74", and it was. Now when a non-Redskins media guy, in another country, has heard all about him you know things are bad.

and if i recall correctly, he was getting a ton of help from cooley. hes still an awful option at LT.

Actually, I saw Brown getting more help from Cooley than Heyer. Overall, when I had my eye on Heyer, he was doing pretty good. The one exception was a running play where he got pushed back into Portis and Portis was dropped for a loss. Really, the only reason to be down on Heyer is the penalties. Two false starts and a hold isn't going to get you much love.

Archived