Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT:: Gradkowski, Campbell conundrum could spark a locker-room rift (MET)

Boss_Hogg

Agreed. It just wasn't working out here.

I still don't see Oakland making the playoffs. Their schedule gets much tougher in the 2nd half and the only way they'll make it is via the division title.

Yeah, I only see them making it via division title. But for the Raiders and their fans, even 7-9 would be a big accomplishment.

campbell played well when it counted yesterday, i was shocked when he came through at the end, im not sure he ever did that in a redskins uniform like he did yesterday. his QB rating was like 14 in the 3rd quarter and turned it up a notch when the team needed it.

hes playing just like he did when portis and our defense were on fire in 08, weve all seen this out of campbell before. when the run game is crushing, the defense is lights out (and dear god where did the raiders defense come from??) and hes not asked to do a ton, he can help a team win.

gotta hand it to campbell on his first real comeback win yesterday, im still shocked he hit that bomb in OT lol.

Those who know me on here know I am a Campbell supporter. I believed that he could play well in a system catered to his strengths with a strong supporting ground game, and he's proving that now.

However, to those saying we should have kept him, trading for McNabb was a waste, etc. please consider that McNabb has done a lot to evade pressure, the same kind that JC couldn't avoid when he was here. The Raiders have played an easier schedule, and their ground game is ridiculous right now. I am very happy for Campbell's success, but I don't think he'd be having it in DC with still inconsistent protection, an inconsistent run game, and a tougher schedule. I think McNabb is the better one for the current situation in Washington.

I wasn't against the McNabb trade because I thought Campbell was a better option. I was against it because of all the holes that are on this team was going to make it difficult for any QB to succeed. So, why spend two picks on an aging, injury prone QB when you can spend nothing and probably get similar results? McNabb's presence hasn't done much to lift this offense, deep balls aside. That's because (as I argued last year) the offense isn't just about the QB. It is about everyone around him. I knew that the OL wasn't going to get fixed in one year. While I was hoping that the young WRs would break out, I wasn't counting on it. In many ways, this is still the same team of last year. While they are making less mistakes and forcing more turnovers, the deficiencies are still there.

I wasn't against the McNabb trade because I thought Campbell was a better option. I was against it because of all the holes that are on this team was going to make it difficult for any QB to succeed. So, why spend two picks on an aging, injury prone QB when you can spend nothing and probably get similar results? McNabb's presence hasn't done much to lift this offense, deep balls aside. That's because (as I argued last year) the offense isn't just about the QB. It is about everyone around him. I knew that the OL wasn't going to get fixed in one year. While I was hoping that the young WRs would break out, I wasn't counting on it. In many ways, this is still the same team of last year. While they are making less mistakes and forcing more turnovers, the deficiencies are still there.

This man just makes too much sense!! Please ban him!!

You hit the nail on the head.

This man just makes too much sense!! Please ban him!!

Go back and read any of his posts during the Cerrato era and see how much sense he made then. He defended everything Vinny did. It's hilarious to see him be critical of stuff like the McNabb trade when he defended the Jason Taylor trade even after it was a proven to be a complete disaster for the skins. Vinny could do nothing wrong and now Shanny can do nothing right. The Longshot has turned into the most hilarious poster on the board because of his hypocrisy.

Go back and read any of his posts during the Cerrato era and see how much sense he made then. He defended everything Vinny did. It's hilarious to see him be critical of stuff like the McNabb trade when he defended the Jason Taylor trade even after it was a proven to be a complete disaster for the skins. Vinny could do nothing wrong and now Shanny can do nothing right. The Longshot has turned into the most hilarious poster on the board because of his hypocrisy.

Maybe you should heed your own advice. I was plenty critical of Vinny last year and felt he deserved to get fired based on his behavior.

My only "defense" of Vinny was that he should be rated on his own accomplishments, not those of the people he worked for. He got his shot over two years and was left wanting as the head of the FO.

Maybe you should heed your own advice. I was plenty critical of Vinny last year and felt he deserved to get fired based on his behavior.

I guess I must have missed those posts.

They also must have been deleted from the board entirely.

And though I like Shanahan the coach, I have not been pleased with all his personnel moves. The McNabb trade ain't looking good right now and his benching with two minutes to go was insane. Hoping things take a turn for the better. Can't believe Galloway is on the roster or that they can't figure out a way to get Fred Davis involved more. Hated the 3-4 change, but now I'm coming around to it. I also don't think Shanahan fully understood just how bad the offensive line he inherited was.

Um, no. I have this thing called a "life". Look into it.

What does any of that have to do with his post? Talking about the poster doesn't actually address his points.

Fair enough. I just think that McNabb is better at evading pressure, buying more time, and connecting on deep passes, which feeds better into our current situation. I don't like the loss of draft picks, but tho I liked JC, McNabb is still IMO an upgrade, and if we can get some better interior OL guys next offseason I think our team can become a serious contender.

I guess I must have missed those posts.

They also must have been deleted from the board entirely.

Actually, I think there should be a 3rd option: You don't remember those posts because you don't want to remember them. It fits your agenda better--whatever that agenda is--to paint Longshot as a "Vinny apologist" and blow off his viewpoints based on that.

Fair enough. I just think that McNabb is better at evading pressure, buying more time, and connecting on deep passes, which feeds better into our current situation. I don't like the loss of draft picks, but tho I liked JC, McNabb is still IMO an upgrade, and if we can get some better interior OL guys next offseason I think our team can become a serious contender.

Given McNabb's struggles and the fact that he isn't getting any younger, I don't have that much confidence in that. At the time of the trade, I figured he had 3 seasons at best. Now, I'm not sure he has that much. Right now, it seems all he has is the deep ball and the occasional play even when he has time to throw.

I don't have much confidence that at the end of the game when teams are defending against the deep ball that he can work the ball down the field to tie or win the game. People here can say the same about Campbell, but he wouldn't have cost additional picks, picks which we could have used to fill the numerous holes this team has in its roster.

Jacoby Ford was the real hero of that game, considering that he has the kick return, and he made that pass that set up the FG that was close to getting picked off.

But, they don't win if they don't get him the ball, and that 47 yard pass was a thing of beauty.

Jacoby Ford took that game over. That was impressive. Not only did they go to in him in OT, but Campbell keyed in on him at the end of regulation for some big plays.

You know what's funny about this game.... the critical play of the game was a Dwayne Bowe drop on 3rd down with 2 minutes left in the 4th. Guy has a serious case of the dropsies.

Sacks are 22 for McNabb through 8 games, vs. 25 for Campbell last year through 8 games, so yes, McNabb has an advantage there, not that it's helping his performance much. McNabb's rating is the same as Campbell's for his first year as a starter. The regression has been huge.
The rating I agree with you on. There's no stat I know of for sacks avoided, but I really think McNabb has avoided a lot more. Yeah, highly subjective "a lot". LOL. I think he's avoided enough sacks, that Candle wouldn't, to make a real difference on this team if we had kept Candle instead, even if the stats don't show it.

Now anybody wants to tell me we'd be better off with the picks we gave up and a worse record so we get a higher position in the next draft, I wouldn't argue against that...... even though I hate losing, and my frustration at the QB position would be higher. But maybe it's just in this franchise's blood to always be in "win now" mode.

Campbell's 1st half......4/10, 18 yards, 0 TD, INT, 8.3 rating

His 2nd half (including OT).......15/23, 211 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 109.15 rating

I think it should be noted that he led this comeback win without Zach Miller or Louis Murphy, and Oakland's 23 point game is the 2nd highest total allowed by KC's D thus far this year. Unfortunetely for them they have almost no chance of getting a wild card spot in the AFC (Bal/Pitt & NE/NYJ), so they'll have to win the division if they want to make the playoffs. I think SD has a better shot at winning it than KC does, and I suspect that Oakland will have to go 6-0 in the division if they want to claim the title.

Janikowski didn't throw the 29 yard pass to be in position to kick for a tie and Janikowski didn't throw the 47 yard pass to be in the position to win. But Janikowski won the game all by himself.:hammer:

I was sorta being sarcastic, dude. Janikowski is the man, though. Other than the Cards game, he has brought it every week. Campbell is still a joke.

Now anybody wants to tell me we'd be better off with the picks we gave up and a worse record so we get a higher position in the next draft, I wouldn't argue against that...... even though I hate losing, and my frustration at the QB position would be higher. But maybe it's just in this franchise's blood to always be in "win now" mode.

The true verdict on the McNabb trade can't really be written until the season's over and we know whether McNabb re-signs here. If he's just a one-year rental, the trade was a disaster without a Super Bowl win (which we know won't happen for this team this year).

The true verdict on the McNabb trade can't really be written until the season's over and we know whether McNabb re-signs here. If he's just a one-year rental, the trade was a disaster without a Super Bowl win (which we know won't happen for this team this year).
Agreed on that. I think McNabb is a better QB than he's being given credit for here, but why do we keep short-changing ourselves and giving other teams so many of our juicy high-position draft picks??!!!!!1111

Yards per completion averages

1) Vince Young – 13.86

2) Phillip Rivers – 13.69

3) Michael Vick – 13.38

4) Jay Cutler – 13.05

5) Jason Campbell – 12.91

6) Kyle Orton – 12.87

7) Mark Sanchez – 12.44

8) Donovan McNabb – 12.39

9) Aaron Rodgers – 11.98

10) Matt Schaub – 11.8

#5 in the league in ypc is awfully high for a "game manager"......

Yards per completion averages

1) Vince Young – 13.86

2) Phillip Rivers – 13.69

3) Michael Vick – 13.38

4) Jay Cutler – 13.05

5) Jason Campbell – 12.91

6) Kyle Orton – 12.87

7) Mark Sanchez – 12.44

8) Donovan McNabb – 12.39

9) Aaron Rodgers – 11.98

10) Matt Schaub – 11.8

#5 in the league in ypc is awfully high for a "game manager"......

Game Manager isn't defined by the yards-per-catch stat, though.

Archived