Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '10-'11 Thread [Offseason Discussion]

Sticksboi05

Close to time to ship off Fehr. Too many injuries.

sad, but true. He had just started to show us what he was capable of, and then his shoulders went out on him. Once you injure that labrum, it'll never be quite the same. I had a guy on my hockey team that had to have surgery to fix his labrum and its always been a concern for him since. He can't use his shoulder to check people anymore and so he's always throwing his forearms up high and getting penalties for it.

sad, but true. He had just started to show us what he was capable of, and then his shoulders went out on him. Once you injure that labrum, it'll never be quite the same. I had a guy on my hockey team that had to have surgery to fix his labrum and its always been a concern for him since. He can't use his shoulder to check people anymore and so he's always throwing his forearms up high and getting penalties for it.

I like Fehr but he never developed into that net front presence I wanted him to be. Such a big body but he scores most of his goals from the slot using a decent wrist shot. Don't guess the market will be there for a trade with this latest injury. Might be good use of cap space to get a third line winger to go with Mojo and Chimera.

Yeah the whole "Europeans can't win" talk is just crap. I don't care you could be from ****in Africa if you can play you can play.

being that our only trip to the Stanley Cup Finals was on the back of an African goalie, I figured that one would be a no-brainer for a Capitals fan.

That's what I told him but he knows his hockey. He is from Toronto and he is not just a leafs fan, he is a hockey fan. He watches tons of games during the regular season and all the playoff games. He never did show me the article but he most of the times knows what he is talking about. Hell he doesn't buy what the caps are selling every year. He says need less Euros and mor Cannucks lol. UnWise Mike pretty much echoed what I vented about though. Now that the dust has settled I'd like to keep BB one more year, resign arnott, trade semin and/or Green, and hopefully pick up more people that have heart. We have some great real young players that will get better, we can play our new system the entire year, and hopefully our veteran young players learn yet another lesson and regain the fire to get better (Backstrom).

Fans of the Leafs and Canadiens somehow think they are entitled to have to other teams best players .... I remember a while back before we had signed Ovechkin to that 13 year deal one of the Canadiens fans on this board was seriously entertaiing that the Caps should trade ovechkin for Huet, Michael Ryder and a first round pick. I remember similar from Toronto fans thinking they could somehow parlay a 36 year old Mats Sundin for #8. Somehow they dont' think we "deserve" to have legimately good players while they do, so we should just trade away all our best players.

Fans of the Leafs and Canadiens somehow think they are entitled to have to other teams best players .... I remember a while back before we had signed Ovechkin to that 13 year deal one of the Canadiens fans on this board was seriously entertaiing that the Caps should trade ovechkin for Huet, Michael Ryder and a first round pick.
:rotflmao: That's worse than my Backstrom for Chara and Thomas trade. At least those 2 are top players.

I disagree with John Saunders. We do have talent around Ovie. Backstrom was a 100+ point player the year before, Green was a Norris Trophy candidate, and Semin is considered by many to be one of the top talents in the league(albeit inconsistent). What we need are more role players who can contribute and a coach who doesn't fail at making adjustments and countering the opposition's tactics come playoff time.

If was GMGM I'd be callin Detroit to see if any of their assistants want a head coaching job. Their players deserve a lot of credit for what they accomplished but they are the best coached team in the NHL and maybe all of sports right now. If Brad McCrimmon were willing to leave the wings bench to come coach the caps how many fans would say they'd rather have Bruce? Not me.

In some ways, a large majority of the fanbase are turning into the Cowboy fans of the NHL. It's always about how talented we are but not being able to finish and being the victim of poor coaching.

Fact is, most of our players make it a habit to dissapear in big series. And Ovechkin has been unable to force his will or rally the troops to get thru a series. Of course if you point this out, several panties wad up and go straight up asses and out the other side.... you all know who you are.

With Arnott coming over and everyone being thrilled about his leadership and rallying the players around him... I'm wondering if that would have been possible for a mid-level player to join up on Gretzky's Canadiens, Jordan's Bulls, Bird's Celtics, or Johnson's Lakers and pull off the same. Actually, I'm not wondering.

I'm also not saying the roster needs wholesale changes. I just think we need more objective evaluations of the talent on the roster. All I kept reading in this thread was about how we weren't playing to our potential.... I don't buy it.

Zoony,

I have to respectfully disagree with you.

First, Cowboy fans are a completely different level of complainers and should only appear in the most extreme of circumstances.

The difference between NFL coaches and NHL coaches (really coaching) is that the regular season in football is pretty much just like the playoffs. Sure, the stakes are a little higher, but you get the same week off, same amount of game planning, same ability to put in a game plan. In hockey, regular season and playoffs are very different, and a coach needs to be able to coach differently. In the regular season, a coach needs to be able to inspire his team, on a daily basis, to get the best out of them during the long grind. Teams can't prepare for one specific team, they have to work on their style and hone it. In the playoffs, the coaches role is completely different. He needs to be able to tailor a game plan around his team's strength's and weaknesses as well as be able to react to how the opponents are going to play them.

One major area is the penalty kill/power play. Watch the Caps, they didn't change anything about how they do either. They became very predictable and never changed, especially against TB. BB never changed the attack to counter the 1-3-1, nor did he have the Caps play a different style, even though TB won both games at Verizon center. The coach can and should change the team and adapt to circumstances. BB has now shown over the last 4 post-seasons that he either can't or won't change the way the Caps play.

Sure, the guys need to play better at different points, but if the coach tells them to fan out on the PP, stay out of the slot because they are constantly looking for the back-door pass/layup, then that is how they are going to play. BB has shown he can be a good to great regular season coach, but a below average to poor post-season coach. That is why he should be fired - the goal of this franchise should be to win a Cup with this group of players.

Unfortunately, I think that Ted and GMGM are happy with the 41 regular season sell-outs and good coverage he gets on local channels. I don't think he'll change anything.

Lastly, I think Romo sits to pee is a pansy, Phillips is a fool, and JJ is the biggest POS owner that I know. How's that for a cow-girl fan????

If was GMGM I'd be callin Detroit to see if any of their assistants want a head coaching job. Their players deserve a lot of credit for what they accomplished but they are the best coached team in the NHL and maybe all of sports right now. If Brad McCrimmon were willing to leave the wings bench to come coach the caps how many fans would say they'd rather have Bruce? Not me.

That's been tried already. Dave Lewis was Scotty Bowman's right hand man during Detroit's 3 Cup wins a decade ago. When he was promoted to head coach of Detroit and later Boston, it didn't work out so well (at least as far as postseason success is concerned). Not to say Detroit isn't well-coached and that Brad McCrimmon couldn't hack it as a head coach (for the record, I would take him over Bruce), but the point I'm trying to make is that Detroit's primary reason for success is they are a well-built team from top to bottom. Can't say that about the Caps, and that is solely the fault of George McPhee, not BB.

Archived