Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '10-'11 Thread [Offseason Discussion]

Sticksboi05

They will never get another NHL team. Then again, third time's the charm?

---------- Post added June-1st-2011 at 11:23 AM ----------

Capitals sign center Mattias Sjogren

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/elitserien/article13112335.ab

Atlanta is done.

11 million Kroner? That's some quality scratch right there.

Here's the link to where everyone is getting this from...unless there are other people around here that speak Swedish:

http://www.japersrink.com/2011/6/1/2200520/report-caps-sign-mattias-sjogren#storyjump

Did you check out my divisions a couple of pages ago?

Yeah, I'd be fine with those too. I just think it would be awkward to leave the Rangers out of the original 6 division, although I guess that same argument could be made for taking them out of the Isles/Devils division. I guess you can't have both the original 6 back together and the Patrick Division back together at the same time.

Mattias Sjögren in action:

bEjBPRPefow

S_wdWRfunHw

I'm reading that 12 NHL teams were interested in this guy and we won out apparently. He could very well be competing for a roster spot this year. We'll have to see what Cody Eakin has to say about that.

Reading that Marcus Johannson was a part of the effort to convince Sjögren to come to Washington over the other teams.

Also, the Caps picked up a new prospect in Tayler Stefishen from Nashville. Don't know much about him, but he's a forward. at 6' and 185 pounds, he could probably stand to put on some weight, but he's only 20 so he's got some time to grow.

dwl4lNq0rz0

Sounds like Sjogren is a guy who will be in front of the net for us? at least thats how I took it from reading the jaspers rink article

Not sure about that, he projects as a bottom 6 chip and chaser who can play the body and has a decent 2 way game from everything I've seen or read about him. His offensive instincts and playmaking ability do leave room for upside, but that's more of a wish than anything else right now. I think they'll try to use him at Center, but he looks like he's probably a better fit on the wing. His skating seems to take a hit when he has the puck on his stick.

---------- Post added June-3rd-2011 at 06:53 AM ----------

Reading that Marcus Johannson was a part of the effort to convince Sjögren to come to Washington over the other teams.

Also, the Caps picked up a new prospect in Tayler Stefishen from Nashville. Don't know much about him, but he's a forward. at 6' and 185 pounds, he could probably stand to put on some weight, but he's only 20 so he's got some time to grow.

Stefishen went to The Ohio State so the Caps have 2 more years to sign him. He left school after 2 years to go play in the dub for Prince George, on a line with the Lightning's 4th overall pick from last year, Brett Connolly, so his point totals may not be all him. He fell out of favor with the Predators over his decisions with school (Jack Johnson style) among other things so it's not suprising they were looking to move him. His scouting reports seem to indicate that he has decent enough offensive skills, but they probably won't translate to the NHL level, and for a guy that then projects as a bottom 6 player, he has a questionable work ethic and defensive game. His peak right now is likely as an above average AHL player, which for a conditional 7th isn't all bad.

draft talk: Combine is today.

"@BioSteelSports: They just measured Oleksiak's wingspan...it was almost beyond the chart! - 2011 #NHL Combine"

I would love it if Oleksiak fell to us. He's obviously not any sort of short term solution, but it would be great to get a blue liner with chara-esque potential under team control. He's going to be a hell of a player.

Oleksiak seems to be the story of the combine...nonstop talking about him.

"@tsnscottcullen: Oleksiak is listed at 244 lbs. and like most 17-year-olds still has room to fill out #huge #nhlcombine"

Yea, I think he'll be gone long before the Caps have a shot at him. Too bad, because I'd love to see him rockin the red.

Could you elaborate on this part?

Well he was getting kicked off of the Ohio State Hockey team, but he wanted to stay in school because he was on pace to graduate early anyway, and to do that he would have had to miss a year of hockey. Supposedly he felt like he was pushed into leaving school and giving up a year of his studies to go play in the WHL for the sake of his career. All speculation as to his behind the scenes relationship with Nashville obviously, but in any event, this is a kid 3 years post draft who hadn't been signed to an entry level deal, so something wasn't right there.

Well he was getting kicked off of the Ohio State Hockey team, but he wanted to stay in school because he was on pace to graduate early anyway, and to do that he would have had to miss a year of hockey. Supposedly he felt like he was pushed into leaving school and giving up a year of his studies to go play in the WHL for the sake of his career. All speculation as to his behind the scenes relationship with Nashville obviously, but in any event, this is a kid 3 years post draft who hadn't been signed to an entry level deal, so something wasn't right there.

I knew about getting kicked off the Ohio team, but you're saying that his decision to play in the WHL was not actually his decision as much as it was pushed on him by the Predators and he wasn't a big fan of that?

Captials goalie coach Arturs Irbe will not be returning next season due to personal matters or some such. Wouldn't it be great if we brought back Olie Kolzig to fill that vacancy?

Wasn't he upset when his time was up? I didn't think things ended on a good note.

Wasn't he upset when his time was up? I didn't think things ended on a good note.
He has stated that he is over it and is 100% ok with the Caps. Ted also said that Kolzig's number will be retired at some point. I think both sides have thawed.

Archived