Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Self call out thread...how big of an A hole am I?

GoSkins561

So here's what happened. I have two sons, one is 5, the other 2. During the Redskins game OT, we were going nuts, (I encourage craziness, lots of high 5's yelling and screaming during the game), the Texans were making their final drive.

"Defense chants", the whole nine, complete ridiculousness. My 5 year old is wearing a 21 Taylor jersey, my 2 year old an Orakpo jersey. Long story short, the Texans are lining up for THE field goal and my 5 year old starts cheering for the Texans, they hit it and he starts yelling "go texans" and all that nonsense.

I immediately made him give me his Redskins jersey and put it on his little brother( completely pissed him off). He started regretting his stance, so I was an even bigger dick and removed his Redskins memorabilia from his room which includes a, Sean Taylor Painting, a Laron Landry glove a glove Laron gave to him personally, a "21" flag the actual game, a Redskins ball loaded with tons of top autographs. This whole time he is getting more pissed because I'm putting all of this stuff in his lil bros room.

I explained to him how I love him more than the Redskins and he could be a fan of whatever team he chooses. ... But if he is going to wear Redskins gear, he wasn't allowed to cheer for other teams. I explained to him how his mother and I were born Redskins fans and have never cheered for any other team but the Redskins. I explained to him again, he could cheer for any team he wants, except for the Cowboys if he wants to live in my house. ;). Finally I asked, do you want to be a part of Redskins Nation or what? He said yes. :ols:

So here I go, one of his buddies is a fan of 10 different teams, and his parents buy him all kinds of **** even though they are Skins fans. I'm fine with him cheering for multiple teams, I however refuse to buy any other teams jerseys for him. He can save up and buy his own crap if he wants, but I will be more than happy to purchase Redskins gear for him.

The bottom line, Fairweather fansmanship is banned in my house, so... Am I an ahole?

OK, I laughed a few times reading this, but it's a little cold dude. Reminds me of a similar story from when I was about his age.

The Olympics were beginning, and they were doing the whole Parade of Nations thing. I forget who it was, maybe Jamaica, but they came in, I saw their bad ass flag, and I said, "I'm gonna root for them."

My Mom and Dad both look at me like I've just told them both to **** off. My mom broke the silence and said, "No you're not. You always root for the USA."

And I've cheered for the USA ever since. It's why I decided not to be a democrat. ;)

But seriously, go easy on the little man. There are better ways to teach sportsmanship than by...welp....being a poor sport. :ols:

So here's what happened. I have two sons, one is 5, the other 2. During the Redskins game OT, we were going nuts, (I encourage craziness, lots of high 5's yelling and screaming during the game), the Texans were making their final drive.

"Defense chants", the whole nine, complete ridiculousness. My 5 year old is wearing a 21 Taylor jersey, my 2 year old an Orakpo jersey. Long story short, the Texans are lining up for THE field goal and my 5 year old starts cheering for the Texans, they hit it and he starts yelling "go texans" and all that nonsense.

I immediately made him give me his Redskins jersey and put it on his little brother( completely pissed him off). He started regretting his stance, so I was an even bigger dick and removed his Redskins memorabilia from his room which includes a, Sean Taylor Painting, a Laron Landry glove a glove Laron gave to him personally, a "21" flag the actual game, a Redskins ball loaded with tons of top autographs. This whole time he is getting more pissed because I'm putting all of this stuff in his lil bros room.

I explained to him how I love him more than the Redskins and he could be a fan of whatever team he chooses. ... But if he is going to wear Redskins gear, he wasn't allowed to cheer for other teams. I explained to him how his mother and I were born Redskins fans and have never cheered for any other team but the Redskins. I explained to him again, he could cheer for any team he wants, except for the Cowboys if he wants to live in my house. ;). Finally I asked, do you want to be a part of Redskins Nation or what? He said yes. :ols:

So here I go, one of his buddies is a fan of 10 different teams, and his parents buy him all kinds of **** even though they are Skins fans. I'm fine with him cheering for multiple teams, I however refuse to buy any other teams jerseys for him. He can save up and buy his own crap if he wants, but I will be more than happy to purchase Redskins gear for him.

The bottom line, Fairweather fansmanship is banned in my house, so... Am I an ahole?

Yes, you acted the way one might expect a 5 year old to act.

I'll say this too. I'm clearly a better parent than you are. Whenever I see my girls (7 and 3) my 7-year old DEMANDS to where her pink Redskins shirt. I'm not sure if there's any truth to the rumor that she pimp-slapped her mom because it was dirty once. ;)

I'm not hating on you for that. If I rooted for the wrong soccer team in my house my dad would have locked me out of the house. Plus I'm pretty sure he'll survive... kids aren't the delicate snow flakes people pretend they are.

What you didn't wasn't the most patient or mature act on the planet... but being a sports fan isn't about patience and maturity. lol

I'm not hating on you for that. If I rooted for the wrong soccer team in my house my dad would have locked me out of the house. Plus I'm pretty sure he'll survive... kids aren't the delicate snow flakes people pretend they are.

What you didn't wasn't the most patient or mature act on the planet... but being a sports fan isn't about patience and maturity. lol

Spoken like a veteran stadium poster. lol.

OK, I laughed a few times reading this, but it's a little cold dude. Reminds me of a similar story from when I was about his age.

The Olympics were beginning, and they were doing the whole Parade of Nations thing. I forget who it was, maybe Jamaica, but they came in, I saw their bad ass flag, and I said, "I'm gonna root for them."

My Mom and Dad both look at me like I've just told them both to **** off. My mom broke the silence and said, "No you're not. You always root for the USA."

And I've cheered for the USA ever since. It's why I decided not to be a democrat. ;)

But seriously, go easy on the little man. There are better ways to teach sportsmanship than by...welp....being a poor sport. :ols:

HH, granted the timing was poor on his part, however I do play the part of being loyal to my bros, my family and well my favorite sports team that he claimed to have loved. I was very clear, ..... If you want to cheer for a different team you can, just don't do it wearing the colors of a team I pour my heart and soul into. He knew where I was coming from and I think he learned the lesson. It had nothing to do with being a poor sport but more to do with being loyal and sticking with a team through thick and thin.

That's hilarious man. Hard to tell in context how angry YOU were during this whole ordeal. I guess you were stomping around, pissed off in your own right. Swiping memorabilia, snatching clothes from his closet. So either you were cool about it, and did it nonchalantly, which would be hilarious....

Or you were actually offended by a small child and got bitter. :)

That's hilarious man. Hard to tell in context how angry YOU were during this whole ordeal. I guess you were stomping around, pissed off in your own right. Swiping memorabilia, snatching clothes from his closet. So either you were cool about it, and did it nonchalantly, which would be hilarious....

Or you were actually offended by a small child and got bitter. :)

Either way, some writer is gonna get a helluva nice sitcom episode out of this.

Great point. On the way home from his soccer game at 3:45 it was time to start getting pumped up for the game, so we listened to Hail to The Redskins all the way home with the windows down. We even had the opportunity to pull up next to a Poke fan and serenade him with some boos and HTTR, good times. Both of them were smiling and booing the Poke fan, and having a blast doing it. I try to make it fun for them, unfortunately my excitement for them my excitement doesn't extend beyond the Redskins(or any US team. He knows better to become a Poke fan, his fair weatherness is something I should put an abrupt end to.

BTW, we had a good discussion and he got all of his gear back. I explained to him that Laron Landry would have never given him his glove if he knew he was going to cheer for another team. He knew what was up.

Yes, you acted the way one might expect a 5 year old to act.

:ols: I appreciate you're response, but seriously, what would you do, let your kid started to celebrate a Skins loss while wearing Skins gear?

I have given my son the opportunity to cheer for any team he wants(except for the Pokes, Eagles or Giants if he wants to live under my roof ), I even offered to buy him Ravens gear since he has a cousin who is the same age, that is a Ravens fan, he chose the Skins. Hell, he could even cheer for both teams if he wants, he chose not to. I even said I would "like" the Ravens if that was a team he wanted to cheer for. Last night we were walking out of a restaurant and he noticed a Rat Bird fan and he booed the guy, I thought I had a die hard on my hand.

you obviously did not raise your son right if he thinks it's ok to just up and root for the texans in the middle of the game, lol

but seriously, kind of a dick move, especially giving his stuff to the other son. taking it away is one thing, but don't give it to the other kid.

Seriously.

And then take it BACK from the other kid, and give it back to the original kid. All kinds of "Daddy, WTF?" going on in that house tonight. :ols:

Archived