Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Self call out thread...how big of an A hole am I?

GoSkins561

I'm afraid you are not teaching a lesson in loyalty here. Only thing you taught was that the outcome of the game was more important that your son's happiness. He is 5, I think you need to lighten up a tad. My son is 6 and claims to be an Eagles fan because he decided that one day while we were watching the Eagles/Redskins. You know what, he wanted an Eagles jersey and hat so I bought him one. I love the Redskins, but I love my son more and if that makes him happy then so be it.

I am afraid you are an ahole... Worse than that however is you are telegraphing to your children exactly how to upset you most when they reach adolescents and start thinking of how to piss off the old man. Thus, you might actually be raising future Dallas fans if you don't get your head on straight...

My daughter and I had a long talk on our dog walk after game as to what occured and why. How both of us could have handled it better.

It's funny you mention the "make dad mad" thing. That is the very reason his buddy pulls the whole fairweather fan bit, because he knows it makes dad mad. He will cheer for anyone playing the Redskins. I grew up with 4 older sisters, 2 of them would cheer for the Pokes, just to make me and my Dad mad.

The one thing I am serious about is not buying another teams gear just because they are the flavor of the month. Also, If he is going to take this approach, he will have to give all of his Skins gear to his little bro.

I'm afraid you are not teaching a lesson in loyalty here. Only thing you taught was that the outcome of the game was more important that your son's happiness. He is 5, I think you need to lighten up a tad. My son is 6 and claims to be an Eagles fan because he decided that one day while we were watching the Eagles/Redskins. You know what, he wanted an Eagles jersey and hat so I bought him one. I love the Redskins, but I love my son more and if that makes him happy then so be it.

My son knows I love him and to reaffirm that point I will never buy him Eagles crap. :silly:

It's funny you mention the "make dad mad" thing. That is the very reason his buddy pulls the whole fairweather fan bit, because he knows it makes dad mad. He will cheer for anyone playing the Redskins. I grew up with 4 older sisters, 2 of them would cheer for the Pokes, just to make me and my Dad mad.

Yep it's an attention thing. Which doesn't make it any more palitable.

The one thing I am serious about is not buying another teams gear just because they are the flavor of the month. Also, If he is going to take this approach, he will have to give all of his Skins gear to his little bro.

I thought I was hard core because I wanted to watch the 4th quarter and that became 4th quarter and OT......

You can't make a little kid give back his Redskins gear. It's like taking away your love for him. You love the skins, and now you took away his skins gear... I wouldn't go there.

I would even be willing to buy a Giants or bEagles jersey.... Hey whatever floats their boat... I just don't think I could stomach anything Dallas in the house. My entire youth was spoiled by a nasty man called Roger Staubach who delighted in destroying my skins in the 4th quarter for the entire decade of the 70's. Give a little kid hope... then snuff it out... over and over and over again for a decade... It bent me.

I don't like the team, the city, or the state..... I respect them, I just don't like them.

sorry to derail this touching thread, but was she hot?

With machurity I've come to realized "hot" is a relative term.. Whcih is for me a very good and comforting thing as long as ones perspectives doesn't get involentarily shifted outside of that panorama..

With machurity I've come to realized "hot" is a relative term.. Whcih is for me a very good and comforting thing as long as ones perspectives doesn't get involentarily shifted outside of that panorama..

ok. it took me 5 times to figure out what you were trying to say, i think by 'machurity', you meant maturity....and after that, I think you are trying to say in a roundabout way that she is old and not hot :ols:

We started having fun with it today, he would ask what would happen if I cheered for Eagles? I would reply "your armpits would start to stink really bad and your teeth would grow in crooked".

This was the first smart thing you did in this whole saga. IMO, of course.

Yep it's an attention thing. Which doesn't make it any more palitable.

I thought I was hard core because I wanted to watch the 4th quarter and that became 4th quarter and OT......

You can't make a little kid give back his Redskins gear. It's like taking away your love for him. You love the skins, and now you took away his skins gear... I wouldn't go there.

I would even be willing to buy a Giants or bEagles jersey.... Hey whatever floats their boat... I just don't think I could stomach anything Dallas in the house. My entire youth was spoiled by a nasty man called Roger Staubach who delighted in destroying my skins in the 4th quarter for the entire decade of the 70's. Give a little kid hope... then snuff it out... over and over and over again for a decade... It bent me.

I don't like the team, the city, or the state..... I respect them, I just don't like them.

I can't let him wear Eagles gear then the next day wear Redskins gear, he will look like a complete idiot, which is one of the reasons he will have to give up his Skins gear.

I can't let him wear Eagles gear then the next day wear Redskins gear, he will look like a complete idiot, which is one of the reasons he will have to give up his Skins gear.

He will look like the 5 year old kid he is, not like a complete idiot. The kids in his kindergarten or 1st grade class really won't care at all.

ok. it took me 5 times to figure out what you were trying to say, i think by 'machurity', you meant maturity....and after that,

Yeah my tts system sometimes gets overly creative...

I think you are trying to say in a roundabout way that she is old and not hot :ols:

Actually I was trying to tell you she was young and very hot.... but that, that doesn't really tell you much.

Meh, that's not teaching him anything.

What do you think your teaching him? IMO, if you want him to be a Redskins fan with you, make him apart of the experience with something like watching the game together, cheering for the skins together and afterwards you and your son have something planned to create a ritual whether it's going to get ice cream together or something he specifically wants to do with you. Do it after ever game win or lose and tell him you are celebrating together cause you love him and tell him you like him commiserating with you cause it makes you feel better having him around.

What do you think your teaching him? IMO, if you want him to be a Redskins fan with you, make him apart of the experience with something like watching the game together, cheering for the skins together and afterwards you and your son have something planned to create a ritual whether it's going to get ice cream together or something he specifically wants to do with you. Do it after ever game win or lose and tell him you are celebrating together cause you love him and tell him you like him commiserating with you cause it makes you feel better having him around.

We do all kinds of pre game, during the game and post game rituals and have a blast doing so, He had a soccer game yesterday at 2:30, on the way home we were jamming HTTR, he was singing having a blast. When we got home, the first thing he did was change into his Redskins gear, I didn't even have to ask him.

Been a Redskins fan from the start.

A 5 year old idiot is what he would look like wearing Eagles gear one day and Packers gear the next, then Titans the next week.

? I'm speechless.... I don't think a 5 year old or his peers will even know the difference. All kids know is their old mans face turns red when he dawns the green and white. Which they think is funny...

Oh please get over yourself Super Redskins Dad that has a Poke fan as a daughter. As far as I'm concerned I'm being a good father and teaching him a lesson in loyalty.

I'll concentrate on just being a good dad and not let the foolishness of a game cloud my judgement or affect my behavior to my children. My children can make up their own mind on who they want to root for and how they want to root for them. If you think there is some life lesson to be had in how a child roots for a team, you have a sad take on things. Its just a game that is beyond any of our control.

My 7 year old great nephew was a Panthers fan 5 years ago. He switched to the Skins last year, because he started getting interested in the game and not just jerseys and colors. You have to give them time. He's only 5 and will change his mind on TONS of things before he gets older.

I agree with this to an extent, but when it comes to selecting a football team I don't agree. I explained this to him last night, my wife and I have been Skins fans from birth, I have never cheered for another team with the same passion I cheer for the Skins. I wasn't a fan of 5 different teams before finally becoming a fan of the Redskins....again, neither was my wife. Both of us have always cheered for the Redskins and the Redskins only. I blame bandwagonism on rappers and people that listen to rap. They will sport the flavor of the month jersey, and the parents who do this, pass the fairweatherism on to their kids.

So my son, that is being raised in a one team, all Redskins family goes to school and they see mini tupac wearing a Eagles hat with a Jets jersey and think it's okay to cheer for the most popular team.

Growing up, there were Redskins fans, Poke fans and Colts fans in our area. Not anymore, now we have isntant fans of whatever teams make it to the Super Bowl. It doesn't have to be that way, and won't be in my house, when it comes to the Redskins.

I'll concentrate on just being a good dad and not let the foolishness of a game cloud my judgement or affect my behavior to my children. My children can make up their own mind on who they want to root for and how they want to root for them. If you think there is some life lesson to be had in how a child roots for a team, you have a sad take on things. Its just a game that is beyond any of our control.

I couldn't disagree more, teaching loyalty to something as simple as a football team is a valuable lesson that can be applied to all aspects of life. It doesn't matter if it's your job, a sports team you're a member of, or a group of friends, people that are loyal to any of these things tend to be more appreciated within those groups. Of course there are times when you need to measure your loyalty and why you are so dedicated to any particular group, a sports team is one of those instances where 9 times out of 10 it's harmless.

I couldn't disagree more, teaching loyalty to something as simple as a football team is a valuable lesson that can be applied to all aspects of life. .

Even if this is true, the way you went about doing it was lousy.

Look, the reason you posted this thread was because you were uncomfortable about whether you did the right thing yesterday, and wanted to know what we thought. Don't backtrack into a defensive posture when your suspicions are confirmed, and you find out that other Tailgaters are also uncomfortable with it.

I make a zillion mistakes as a parent. All we can do is try our best, and learn from our errors. I think yesterday was an error for you (not a huge error, but an error nonetheless). Learn and move on.

The bottom line, Fairweather fansmanship is banned in my house, so... Am I an ahole?

You are a prince. Nip that crap in the bud or he'll be a front-runner for life. I mean he literally jumped the fence in one play last night. I'm sure he's a wonderful son but that was blasphemous.

I was born and raised a Redskin fan. As a youngster I did fall in love with the Bum Phillips/Earl Campbell version of the Houston Oilers for 2 seasons. The Skins weren't making the playoffs for that period and I needed a team to get behind. My father to this day (I'm 43 now) has not let me forget it.

Even if this is true, the way you went about doing it was lousy.

Look, the reason you posted this thread was because you were uncomfortable about whether you did the right thing yesterday, and wanted to know what we thought. Don't backtrack into a defensive posture when your suspicions are confirmed, and you find out that other Tailgaters are also uncomfortable with it.

I make a zillion mistakes as a parent. All we can do is try our best, and learn from our errors. I think yesterday was an error for you (not a huge error, but an error nonetheless). Learn and move on.

Agree and it isn't just loyalty. You are teaching him blind faith with out allowing him any reasonings to question why.

Archived