Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Would You Like to See the Rules Committee Take Another Look at This Offseason?

GhostofSparta

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So after this Sunday, everybody who follows sports at all knows about the controversy over Calvin Johnson's game-winning TD turned incomplete pass. And from what every NFL/ESPN commentator, if the rule isn't already being looked at for change, it probably will be on the agenda. This follows the new rule that changed the positioning of the Umpire, which was already altered this last offseason. So I figured it would be fun to see what other rules my fellow ES members would like to see examined/changed.

To get things started (since this is my thread and all), I'll start off with my major gripe: running backs who are immune to facemask/illegal hands to the face penalties. Sure, some Cowboys fans can call out my bias that I tend to ***** about Barber the worst when it comes to this...

6039937.jpg

...but the stiff arm to the facemask has to stop. If the league truly cares about player safety, this needs to be addressed. Normally it just makes me mad, but when I see an RB grab and twist a defender's facemask with no flag in sight...

Dec06_Sports_2.jpg

...then it makes it hard for me to take seriously the "We got the players' safety in mind with these rules" nonsense they keep spewing about every new rule.

So that's my case. I want to see this:

tomlinsonstiffarm.jpg

turned into the same penalty that's called on O and D lineman when they do the same thing.

So, what gripes do you have that you would like to see addressed/changed in the future?

I agree with the no facemask penalty for offense. That is completely ridiculous. The entire point is to keep a player from being pulled to the ground, but the way some of those RBs use it (Barber IS the worst about it) they grab a handful, then drag the guy to the ground by it.

I actually don't have a huge problem with stiff-arms to the helmet, but when you're doing EXACTLY what the rule was put in to stop, it shouldn't matter whether you're on offense or defense. Stiff arms should be legal, gripping the face mask and using it for a handle should definitely not.

I really can't think of any other rules that I think are totally ridiculous. Maybe throwing a blocker into someone who's already called a fair catch should be the same as making contact with the returner (ahem, ahem, if you know what I'm talking about).

As for the Calvin Johnson reception, I don't know, it was pretty close, maybe they should have gotten it in the review, but you got to know to hang onto the ball until the ref signals a TD, that's just common sense. I pretty much think Johnson pulled as close a Desean Jackson as I've ever seen.

How about a rule that a TD is a TD? Is it really that complicated? Calvin Johnson, caught the pass, controlled it, IN THE ENDZONE, TD. Easy.

this.

Also, get rid of the Tuck rule. If you're trying to tuck the ball, then why SHOULDN'T it be a fumble? Trying to not throw should not be counted as an incompletion.

1) GhostofSparta hit my number one rule change- ball carriers in the facemasks

2) Pass interference spot of foul. I like the college rule of 15 yards, but I'd make it 25 in the pros.

3) Tuck Rule

4) Seen several times where the defense's feet, legs, part of the body goes offsides and then he scrambles to get back only to have the whistle blow for "unabated to the QB". Bull****! If the defender does not go past the offensive linemen and is attempting to get back, but they hike the ball, FREE PLAY.

Their arrogance won't allow them to tweak the going-to-the-ground rule even though Fisher and Polian both got it wrong when trying to explain the rule

And they are both on the Competition Committee.

A word about Polian being on the CC; he doesn't care about anything except things that have to do with the Colts.

It's bad for the game.

I actually don't have a problem with the rule where you have to go to the ground with full control, but everyone could see that Johnson's hips, knee, arms and most of his body hit the ground with control of the ball. It wasn't until he tried to get up that he lost control. Screwed me out of Fantasy Points and a Win. I lost 31-30. That TD would have had me win 33-31.

Same as every year. Maximum of 15 yards for a pass interference. I'm tired of seeing a 50 yard penalty completely swing the game.
First off, I like GoS's idea. As for this, this is one area where NFL>college. Armchair has it right on both counts.

As for me: No stiff-arms to the face (if it's a penalty when D do it, O shouldn't either).

Agree with the tuck rule.

Do SOMETHING about icing.

Calvin Johnson: catch

Have a ref behind the O AND D.

Stop acting like the quarterbacks are wearing skirts.

The Ravens game was a great example.

Hard not to side with Lewis and Suggs there.

Its starting to get overboard. I mean, landing with your full weight on the QB? Every other player gets absolutely crushed on every play. Seems like a silly reason to give a team an automatic first down and 15 yards.

Its starting to get overboard. I mean, landing with your full weight on the QB? Every other player gets absolutely crushed on every play. Seems like a silly reason to give a team an automatic first down and 15 yards.

Its horrible.

But it won't change. QBs are huge investments, and losing a franchise QB means the season is over. The owners won't change the rules, no matter how ridiculous it seems to the rest of us.

I can see how Ray Lewis is upset, how can you play defense like that? You're barreling towards the QB, you shouldn't have 238923 things to worry about as you go to hit him. The quarterback is a football player, they're not as vulnerable as a punter/kicker with their legs extended...let them play football damn it.

I agree, but that's something they'll call EVERY time.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree with the no facemask penalty for offense. That is completely ridiculous. The entire point is to keep a player from being pulled to the ground, but the way some of those RBs use it (Barber IS the worst about it) they grab a handful, then drag the guy to the ground by it.

I actually don't have a huge problem with stiff-arms to the helmet, but when you're doing EXACTLY what the rule was put in to stop, it shouldn't matter whether you're on offense or defense. Stiff arms should be legal, gripping the face mask and using it for a handle should definitely not..

clintonportis.jpg

YES PLEASE!

Agree with facemask. Have been saying that for years.

Calvin Johnson: catch

Icing the kicker. I'm not sure what they can do, but it's ridiculous. After so long on a fg with under 2 minutes, coach can't call TO or something of that sort.

Celebration rules. Let the players celebrate with each other.

Challenge rules. Make it like college. It's fantastic that questionable calls get calls from the booth and it gets reviewed in the booth.

Loosen up on unnecessary roughness calls. Players are bigger and faster. Needs to be more clarification on late hit out of bounds-players are afraid to hit a ball-carrier going out and get juked because of it.

Defensive holding and illegal contact are not automatic first downs. If a def player is holding and it causes the receiver not to catch it, it's pass intererence.

Archived