Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Bush to be stripped of Heisman

Geoff_K

Stupid. Stripped or not he was the "best" college football player that year.

If I was Vince Young and they offered it to me I'd say thanks but no thanks. I didn't really win it and I don't want someone else's trophy sitting in my living room.

If I was Vince Young and they offered it to me I'd say thanks but no thanks. I didn't really win it and I don't want someone else's trophy sitting in my living room.

I agree it's not like he was taking PEDs, accepting gifts did not give him an unfair advantage on the field. Was what he did wrong? Of course, but it doesn't mean he wasn't the best player in college in 2005. Complete BS.

It should be stripped. Sends a message for all that follow.

that's nonsense. The trophy is for the best player that season and Bush was exactly that. If he had taken PEDs or something I'd agree but this is just stupid.

Then again college football is a joke entirely so why should this be any different.

playing the devil's advocate: What about the idea that Bush broke the NCAA rules which makes him ineligible for the Heisman?

He's disqualified and what he did on the field doesn't matter because he wasn't suppose to be on the field.

But he was on the field. I realize that's kind of a straw man argument, but it's also true.

that's nonsense. The trophy is for the best player that season and Bush was exactly that. If he had taken PEDs or something I'd agree but this is just stupid.

No, it's for the best ELIGIBLE player that season, not just any player. There is a huge difference.

But he was on the field. I realize that's kind of a straw man argument, but it's also true.

He was also on the field on false pretenses as well. It's no different than the Olympics stripping all of those Track and Field medals after they found out they were juicing.

I see what you're saying but I also think a punishment was necessary and the Heisman was the one thing they could take away at this point. It sucks but something needed to be done

He was also on the field on false pretenses as well. It's no different than the Olympics stripping all of those Track and Field medals after they found out they were juicing.

This is different from your Olympic example because what Bush did that made him ineligible has nothing to do with his performance on the field.

I agree with everyone saying they should let him keep it. Not that I have sympathy for him, but money didn't make him better. Plus he was just one of the people who got caught. If they are gonna strip him of the title for that reason, then they should thoroughly investigate the person who gets it by default, and everyone who might get it from now on to insure that this doesn't happen again. I don't think that will happen because that would be horrible for college football. They think its easier to look the other way, then bring down the hammer when some one gets caught.

This is total bull****. The Heisman is for the best college football player. Bush was the best college football player. It's not a morality award. It's a performance award. He won it. Period.

Does that mean that Young is now a Heisman winner? He was second to Bush that year.

Also, we can all thank Brees for being on the cover of Madden this year for this.

Young has already said he won't accept it. From a couple of months ago:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/404391-thanks-but-no-thanks-vince-young-says-he-wouldnt-accept-the-heisman

The player should be punished, more so than the university athletic department which most likely didn't know about it. And apparently, this is the only way to punish the player that already left the university. The argument that he was "the best player that season" is irrelevant when he broke the NCAA rules for participating in the sport. The NFL and the NCAA need to get together to dish-out appropriate punishment for future NFL players that got compensation/gifts while playing college football.

Archived