Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Bush to be stripped of Heisman

Geoff_K

As someone else mentioned. Bush was ineligible to participate in a lot of those games. Him being the best is insignificant. A lot of those stats do not count and will be stricken from the record books. USC is already doing what they can to eliminate the name "Reggie Bush" from their history.

Is there some sort of agreement that the trophy is always "owned" by the NCAA and the players only have it "on loan." Otherwise, it's not like they're going to amass a standing army and go to war with his body guards to enter the house and rob the trophy.

Bush will forever had his trophy in his trophy case, and the world will always know that he was voted best player that year.

The player should be punished, more so than the university athletic department which most likely didn't know about it.

And the university officials who help create a culture of oppulence and special treatment for football and basketball players, along with the agents who clearly know the rules and break them, should also be punished. There's plenty of blame to go around.

Its not like he used performance enhancing drugs. The house he was living in and the car he was driving didn't run for all those amazing touchdowns. I'm not a Bush fan, but I think its ridiculous that they are still making this an issue in 2010. I'm glad to see him take the high road and give it back.

If Vince Young is offered the trophy and takes it, he is pretty pathetic. He lost by a landslide.

I hate this rule. Its not like it effected his play on the field. If he took steroids or any other PED, that makes sense, otherwise its a dumb rule.

It says you have to be elidgeable as a student athlete to receive the award. Per the NCAA's findings he wasn't.

PS: Lebron? Seriously? After what that bandwagoner said about the Skins and rooting for Dallas at FedEx? :ols:

It says you have to be elidgeable as a student athlete to receive the award. Per the NCAA's findings he wasn't.

And if I were a betting man, I'd wager that given 100% honesty and disclosure, Vince Young was getting some benefits under the table from Texas boosters while he was leading them to the BCS CG.

This is the reality of major college sports and Bush was dumb enough to attract attention to himself with his dealings while at USC and do a terrible job with PR once this thing started to blow open this past year, and now he's "paying" for it.

Saw this on Twitter earlier today:

Heismanpundit

Old time coach I know says that probably 10-15 living Heisman winners took significant money or gifts in their time.

Reggie Bush: No admission of guilt

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5581066

"Obviously something has to be changed. You've got universities making millions of dollars off these kids and they don't get paid. The majority of college athletes who come in on scholarship come in [with] nothing. That's where you have a problem. You're making all this money off these kids and you're giving them crumbs and then you're surrounding these kids with money and telling them not to touch it," he said.-Reggie Bush

This quote by Reggie Bush sums up the whole problem with the business of College Sports. The TV deals, commerical bowl games, and the merchandising are benefitting the colleges but not the players. People who say that kids should be happy just with the scholarships don't understand the sacrifice these kids are making. I'm not saying kids should be paid but something better needs to be done to avoid all these sanctions.

:helmet:

Archived