Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We're wearing Red uniforms vs. Dallas (some would call it burgundy MET)

SMU Redskin

Call me crazy, but I think burgandy-on-burgandy (stay classy) are the best uniforms in the NFL (Chargers close 2nd). I recall Lavar saying the same thing on his show last week.

HOW SICK ARE THOSE

clinton-portis-burgundy-on-burgundy.jpg

I honestly like these too.. People were dissing the burgundy on burgundy, but I loved it! Problem is... whenever we wear it we always lose..

I honestly like these too.. People were dissing the burgundy on burgundy, but I loved it! Problem is... whenever we wear it it we always lose..

Its mostly the old dudes who dont like the Burgundy on Burgundy.

I think they look fresh, so do the players. I always hated the white on white.

Hopefully though the players dont concentrate on the gold pants week 1 and get their ass kicked.

Really?

To each his own of course but I'm curious, besides the unmatching helmet color which is terrible for sure, what is it about the uniform itself that you don't like as compared to either our current uniform or the 2002 throwbacks?

I really can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but IMO it looks like it was designed in the early 1900's.

I like the 2002 jerseys and I love the current unis though.

Not true as I recall. When Joe Gibbs was coach the first time he stated that he wanted the fans to be able to see the other teams' colors when they played at RFK. He thought the Redskin fans would enjoy seeing them. So we wore white at home to allow that. I always hated that decision. Why allow the other team to show off their primary colors at our place? It is traditional to wear your dark jersey at home in the NFL. We should be showing off OUR colors in our place. Just my two cents on the one decision Joe made that I didn't like back then.

I'd have to see somewhere where he actually said that. That doesn't sound like Joe. But remember, he coached for Coryell and the Chargers who always wore their white jerseys at home (Dan Fouts era) so that may have been part of the factor also.

I've heard that before. I've also heard that it was done at the suggestion of Bobby Beathard, who had previously been at Miami. Then, there's this:

Starting the "classic" Redskins look ( from medlibrary.org )

When Joe Gibbs was the offensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers under Don Coryell, Coryell would have the Chargers wear white uniforms for home games in San Diego. So, during both of his stints as Washington's head coach, Gibbs started the tradition of having the Redskins wear white uniforms over burgundy pants for home games. This uniform combination is considered to be the team's "classic" look. In all of Gibbs' 16 seasons as coach of the Redskins, the team never wore burgundy jerseys at home.

I knew it. I should have read further. Good catch.

OK, I love the idea of gold pants and burgundy jerseys, especially for the Pukes on Sunday Night but that being stated, wouldn't it not be even cooler to let the fans know *OFFICIALLY* a week or two before the event?

The reason being, imagine all the burgundy in the stands. Place is rocking for the Prime Time Opener and NBC cuts in and sees 90,000 plus in burgundy shaking Fed Ex. Otherwise, those who may not know might wear their traditional white home jerseys etc. Just a thought, I might be making too much out of it but that is what this board is for. :)

Take every bit of home field advantage you can get!

I'll be there in the upper deck with my Joey T. #7 Burgundy on.

1. Throw away the "glory years" white on burgundy at home argument. Since 1993, they've only won 43% of their games wearing that combo. No appearances in the NFC championship game. (One of only 3 teams since 1993 to have never played for their conference championship.)

2. I had read that reference to Gibbs wanting the fans to see the other teams' home jerseys during Gibbs 1. Who knows if that's true. I think, ala Lombardi changing the helmets in '70, Gibbs brought over the San Diego style in '81. That said, they changed to the current look in 1979. I don't know what the Skins wore in '79 and '80 at home. Anybody help a brother out on that one? Had the Skins gone white/burgundy at home prior to '81 in the current set?

3. The first time I ever remember seeing the white on white was the 2003 Thursday night home opener against the Jets in 2003. (My one and only visit to a 'Skins home game - sue me, I live in Idaho!) I remember seeing them run out onto the field and thinking "WTF????" I don't like it. Not one bit. Some teams can rock the white on white - Colts and Miami come to mind (and the Bears on occasion), but on the Skins - horrible. Looks like long johns to me.

4. Burgundy on burgundy - THE WORST COMBO EVER. I'm no "traditionalist," but when you look bad, you play bad. There's a lot of superstition to unis in the NFL (ie, the 2005 playoff run when they rocked the long johns), and I think you won't see that combo. Both B on B games were disasters. That loss to Pittsburgh last year was perhaps the worst display of football the Redskins have ever had.

5. Marty brought back the burgundy at home in 2001. It's a change of pace, but like it seems with most here, I hate the white pants. Spurrier went back to white/burgundy at home in 2002 - 2003 (interspersed with the 70th throwbacks on occasion.) Gibbs, of course, was always white on top at home, even durung Gibbs II. The white on white look was dumped in 2006 when they started losing in that combo. Zorn switched it up on occasion.

6. I'm old enough to remember the burgundy/gold combo of the 70's, but the "R" helmets are a little bit before my time. Either way, I don't like the yellow "R" helmets. Very generic. That 75th anniversary throwback was horrible - ketchup and mustard. They looked like (and played like) Ronald McDonald. Dump it.

7. The 70th Anniversary unis were OK, but I don't like the spear helmet. The colors were awesome - now THAT was burgundy and gold! But, overall too much like FSU.

8. 1994 throwbacks, again, colors great, total effect merely OK. I loved the jersey - I own a 1937 throwback jersey, which is what the '94 throwback was based on - but it won't fly these days, as they had no TV numbers on the shoulders/sleeves.

9. 1959 - 1963 unis were sweet, especially the helmet. The lone feather that went up the back of the helmet was a great design - very unique. Unfortunately, the remainder is too USC Trojans to wear now.

10. So, what's the best? I'm REALLY hoping we bust out the gold pants. Keep the current logo/helmet design (or go back to the 1983 one-year-only "curved feather" helmet logo.) Go burgundy/gold at home w/ burgundy socks, white/burgundy on the road with the white/striped socks. I never liked the white/gold road look. NEVER EVER wear the monochrome puke look or the long johns EVER again.

That's my $.02.

Anyone know the real story with that hideous "redesign" artwork? I've seen them posted here before. Was that something the team was actually considering. Did they have a professional come up with that, or is this just something that someone did on their own for the hell of it?

Anyone know the real story with that hideous "redesign" artwork? I've seen them posted here before. Was that something the team was actually considering. Did they have a professional come up with that, or is this just something that someone did on their own for the hell of it?

VV,

That was someone's stab at a re-design. It was not anything that was/is being considered by the team.

Only if enough of the fanbase remembers them. Do the youngsters know about the burgundy tops and gold bottoms?
im 15 sadly, i haven't been around long enough to witness the skins in there glory days. But i have seen countless hours of film, pictures and player interviews to get an idea. I think the children of the true redskins fans will know about that great uniform.

:dallasuck

Archived