Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

http://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/statuses/262704607329918976

NBC confirms they have landed the EPL. NBC Sports Net will be the main TV hub. SI.com story: bit.ly/SlPBMD

A lot of people pick up NBC Sports Network so that's good. I used to get it back in Seattle.

It's more popular than BeIN for sure (the Al-Jazeera sports network which now carries El Clasico)

Can't really complain about this move, especially since 18-20 EPL games will be shown on NBC.

Edited by ixcuincle

****** Derby day.

Cold and wet. Blown two goal lead through woeful defending. Marriner giving us nottin' all day. Culminating in a goal that looked a goal in the ground, and is an even harder pill to swallow having seen it back on the TV. No foul. No offside. Robbed blind. Cheating *****!

For those of us from the City, this game is the one you want more than any other due to living side by side with the bitters and listening to their deluded **** every week.

****** Sunday.

Hail.

There are some positives. The play at times, and that three teenagers, a 20-year old, and a couple of other young 'uns are playing leading roles in the team. That's got to be good for the future.

---------- Post added October-28th-2012 at 11:10 PM ----------

The decision to send off Torres was just awful too.

It was - linesman only gave it after 2 or 3 Everton players appealed.

That being said' date=' Suarez should have been sent off earlier. Cheap shot, raking down Distans achilles. I hate those kind of challenges.[/quote']

Wouldn't argue with that having seen it back on the TV in slow-mo. Admittedly at the other end of the park, but it didn't look much of anything in the ground. And to be fair to Marinner, I can see why he'd think the same in live action. But having seen it back, that was a nasty one that looks like he went out to do him. No place for that in the game.

I was also impressed it took the blue ***** a full 9 minutes yesterday before the first 'mur-der-ers' chant, closely followed by their oh so funny 'always the victim' song.

The hope recent events would change the atmosphere was a forlorn one, sighs.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/29/liverpool-steven-gerrard-everton-physical

Gerrard's comments echo the post-match claims of the manager, Brendan Rodgers, who reverted to a 3‑5‑2 formation in the second half to combat Everton's aerial threat and to play on the counter-attack. Moyes' team dominated after conceding two early goals, though an injury to Kevin Mirallas reduced their threat and Liverpool almost capitalised in a nervous finale,and the match statistics do not support Gerrard's assessment. Everton enjoyed more possession than Liverpool (56.2% to 43.8%), made more passes (400 to 314), had greater passing accuracy (78.5% to 76.8%) and played proportionally fewer long passes (13.8% to 14.6%).

I really wish he would stop being a hypocrite. And the stuff about Neville and diving, really Steven? comeon.png

I don't agree entirely with Gerrard's comments but the bolded text with the stats is a very simplistic view of what was going on in the game. Everton clearly adopted the tactic of pressing very high to stop Liverpool's plan for intricate possession passing game, and try to create turnovers high up the pitch where they could quickly score form. As a consequence, Liverpool's opportunities were often into the space behind the high press - this changed the numbers for possession, long balls etc. Similarly, Everton had easy outlets from the back, skewing the possession numbers.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Edited by Corcaigh

I don't agree entirely with Gerrard's comments but the bolded text with the stats is a very simplistic view of what was going on in the game. Everton clearly adopted the tactic of pressing very high to stop Liverpool's plan for intricate possession passing game, and try to create turnovers high up the pitch where they could quickly score form. As a consequence, Liverpool's opportunities were often into the space behind the high press - this changed the numbers for possession, long balls etc. Similarly, Everton had easy outlets from the back, skewing the possession numbers.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

so what you are saying is that Everton's tactics worked well, limited to Liverpool's possession, and had more of the ball?

You cannot skew possession numbers, you either have the ball or you dont.

What you can skew is which team was dangerous solely by using possession stats. I think Liverpool were actually the more dangerous attacking unit despite Everton's possession. They turned into a countering side to offset Everton's tactics in the 2nd half.

At the end of the day, we both agree Gerrard was wrong about Everton being just like Stoke.

so what you are saying is that Everton's tactics worked well, limited to Liverpool's possession, and had more of the ball?

You can debate the success of the tactic. It did change Liverpool's behavior and they did look more dangerous on the counter, so perhaps not. Pressing high is a risk that Everton decided it was worth taking.

You cannot skew possession numbers, you either have the ball or you dont.

What you can skew is which team was dangerous solely by using possession stats.

The article suggested that time of possession was a relevant stat. It's not one many Italian sides have cared about in living memory. :)

Everton are akin to Stoke. Without the thuggery. (Although some of their challenges are borderline at times.). They are a direct team. No secret there. Moyes plays to their strengths and cuts his cloth accordingly. And all power to him as he's consistently gotten far better results than the players at his disposal should have gotten him. Nothing out of place in those comments. And as Corcaigh so pertinently said, 'lies, damn lies and statisitcs.' They certainly spun a different tale to what actually went down.

And Gerrard's no worse a diver than the majority of players in this league. It's endemic in the English game as much as it is anywhere else on the planet. We could go tit-for-tat if you liked Asiatic on Arsenal players that have been shocking for it over the years; but then that would just enable your Gerrard obsession even more so we'll spare folk of that. ;)

Talking of Arsenal, WTF happened at Reading I don't know. 4 down. 5-4 up. 5-5 looking at pens. Then a 7-5 win. Crazy, brilliant stuff. That's entertainment and then some. Sounded a heck of an exciting game. Which is what you want for your buck. Do it all again at Utd this weekend and avenge last season's drubbing please.

And a special mention to Bradford City for reaching the last eight of the League Cup from the bottom tier. Awesome achievement. Massive congratulations to all concerned.

Hail.

You can debate the success of the tactic. It did change Liverpool's behavior and they did look more dangerous on the counter, so perhaps not. Pressing high is a risk that Everton decided it was worth taking.

So Everton did have more of hte ball. Had more possession, and limited Liverpool from playing the ball which is what they like to do. There is no skewering there. That is what happened and you just admitted it.

The article suggested that time of possession was a relevant stat. It's not one many Italian sides have cared about in living memory. :)

Its relevant because Stoke are a team that doesnt like possessing the ball. They allow teams to keep the ball and they sit deep. Its the opposite of Everton's tactics on Sunday, altho I do agree about them being a more physical team.

On top of that, Stoke are a cowardly team who dont attack better sides. Can you honestly say that about Everton on Sunday? Its a nonsensical comparison by a guy who is upset his team didnt get two points.

Gerrard also said that Everton only boot the ball forward from their goalkeeper. Brad Jones actually had 20 long kicks versus 14 for Howard.

---------- Post added October-31st-2012 at 12:32 AM ----------

Everton are akin to Stoke. Without the thuggery. (Although some of their challenges are borderline at times.). They are a direct team. No secret there. Moyes plays to their strengths and cuts his cloth accordingly. And all power to him as he's consistently gotten far better results than the players at his disposal should have gotten him. Nothing out of place in those comments. And as Corcaigh so pertinently said, 'lies, damn lies and statisitcs.' They certainly spun a different tale to what actually went down.

well I am shocked you agree with him! just shocked! :ols:

And Gerrard's no worse a diver than the majority of players in this league. It's endemic in the English game as much as it is anywhere else on the planet. We could go tit-for-tat if you liked Asiatic on Arsenal players that have been shocking for it over the years; but then that would just enable your Gerrard obsession even more so we'll spare folk of that. ;)

The thing is I dont thumb my fingers at divers like Gerrard does, unless they border on the farcical like you see with Suarez. Gerrard's comments on diving over the years comes across as a guy who lacks self awareness.

Do it all again at Utd this weekend and avenge last season's drubbing please.

we wont :ols:

Edited by AsiaticSkinsFan

So Everton did have more of hte ball. Had more possession, and limited Liverpool from playing the ball which is what they like to do. There is no skewering there. That is what happened and you just admitted it.

Its relevant because Stoke are a team that doesnt like possessing the ball. They allow teams to keep the ball and they sit deep. Its the opposite of Everton's tactics on Sunday, altho I do agree about them being a more physical team.

On top of that, Stoke are a cowardly team who dont attack better sides. Can you honestly say that about Everton on Sunday? Its a nonsensical comparison by a guy who is upset his team didnt get two points.

Gerrard also said that Everton only boot the ball forward from their goalkeeper. Brad Jones actually had 20 long kicks versus 14 for Howard.

---------- Post added October-31st-2012 at 12:32 AM ----------

What the hell are you talking about? Go back and read my first response. I don't agree with Gerrard, but the stats quoted in the article are simplistic and don't actually support the argument.

What the hell are you talking about? Go back and read my first response. I don't agree with Gerrard, but the stats quoted in the article are simplistic and don't actually support the argument.

So then what are we doing here? What should we look at to show that Everton arent Stoke if we cant look at the possession stats?

FWIW, Everton's Phil Jagielka has responded locally by acknowledging Everton are a far more physical, direct side; but he'd rather be like that and play to what works for them than passing sideways and creating nothing like Liverpool do in his words. And Steven's backtracked in a PR recovery exercise today on the Stoke comparison.

Much ado about nothing in the heat of a very passionate, same City rivalry where football's the all consuming passion.

In the same way some morons in the media tried to make an issue out of Suarez diving at Moyes feet when there was no issue to be made. Thankfully Moyes has a sense of humor the agenda laden media don't.

Derby day/ week on Merseyside. **** happens that most all involved take with a pinch of salt.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

For anyone trying to go to the DCU playoff game, the home game has been moved to this Saturday, Nov 3 at 8pm, and the away game will be on Nov 7. The change is bc Red Bull Arena and surrounding area are without power.

Bye-bye home field advantage. Hope this at least means more people can make it out to the home game tho.

For anyone trying to go to the DCU playoff game, the home game has been moved to this Saturday, Nov 3 at 8pm, and the away game will be on Nov 7. The change is bc Red Bull Arena and surrounding area are without power.

Bye-bye home field advantage. Hope this at least means more people can make it out to the home game tho.

an embarrassing decision. MLS' front office is a joke.

an embarrassing decision. MLS' front office is a joke.

Come on guys. You can't legislate for Mother Nature.

I always prefer the second leg at home too. But you can still use the home field to your advantage by taking a decent lead upto NY.

Good luck.

Hail.

I'm still fuming about this. See you guys Saturday....

What would you rather the league do man? Their on a tight schedule as it is with the playoff's, and this is totally unforeseen circumstances.

I feel for you guys after you earned the right over 34 games to play the second leg at home. But you can't slam the league for nature intervening. Seems a fair and sensible solution under the circumstances.

Hail.

Come on guys. You can't legislate for Mother Nature.

I always prefer the second leg at home too. But you can still use the home field to your advantage by taking a decent lead upto NY.

Good luck.

Hail.

This sucks because I can't afford to pay for your plane ticket here on such short notice....:pfft:

What would you rather the league do man? Their on a tight schedule as it is with the playoff's, and this is totally unforeseen circumstances.

I feel for you guys after you earned the right over 34 games to play the second leg at home. But you can't slam the league for nature intervening. Seems a fair and sensible solution under the circumstances.

Hail.

I totally understand that and am sympathetic to their situation. I would have been okay with pretty much any alternative solution that would not have penalized DCU and taken away the advantage they earned

Edited by Skinz4Life12