Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

1-0 isn't the end of the world, but we let that happen.  Having those chances with ****ing Ibe and Firmino and Lallana in the attack??? And you don't put on Sturridge at all and put Benteke on in the 90'?

Not sure what to make of that.

I am fine with the way Klopp played it. If Toure doesn't play so far off killing the line and creating so much space for the Villarreal runner the game ends in a 0-0 tie.

Nah, that paid dividens early on in the game.  He's lost about 5 steps, he has to play back like that :lol:

Make this brief and type more in depth when I'm home .....

Real surprised at all the apathy to last night. Both among friends/ reds in bars after and looking at social media today. Thought we played almost the perfect European away game. Yeah, you could say we should of brought Sturridge on and got the win. They were there for the taking and I wouldn't disagree. But if we had a LB with ANY semblance of a ****ing brain, we would never of conceded the end there. WTF was Moreno thinking bombing down the other end in injury time when he should of been playing out the clock? ****ing moron. Allan should of buried that chance early but played real well. Thought Toure was fantastic. And Lucas and Lovren immense. Disappointed in Bobby and Ibe wasn't worth a wank when he came on. THAT should of been the Sturridge change. Mingolet made a WC save below us late too. Without the Moreno **** up we done a very professional, old school job. 

But honestly not worried at all from what I seen from them. They looked distinctly average and I have NO fear we'll do the next week at a rocking Anfield. SO confident that I'm the only one this morning that has booked the only thing we hadn't to this point. The flight out to Zurich on Tuesday the 17th. (We had planned on that today if the result was good. But nobody else is prepared to gamble after last night outside of moi whilst it's still cheap. <Got both flights for £ 94> GHH stupidity or a brilliant move down to the utmost confidence in Klopp. You decide.). 

Anyways, the sun is finally shining after lashing out down the majority of the time here. The shorts are on. The bear is flowing. And it's time to eat before the train back to Valencia and a great night there. 

Chin up reds. HE HAS THIS!

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Make this brief and type more in depth when I'm home .....

Real surprised at all the apathy to last night. Both among friends/ reds in bars after and looking at social media today. Thought we played almost the perfect European away game.

I was ultimately okay with the result, but we hadn't played like that at all throughout tourney.  Credit that we can actually play like that.

We're spoiled.  What can I say. :lol:

Just like Bayern losing 1-0 in Spain on the road, Pool losing 1-0 on the road in Spain isn't the end of the world.  Can be overcome with good play at home for both.

In theory I don't disagree, but Atletico are know for their defensive prowess.  Not so much the same for Villareal. 

They are, however, excellent at scoring, which is why Sturridge and friends weren't out there.

If you told me Sakho was suspended and our midfield was Lucas, Allen, and Milner and Sturridge and Ben didn't play, and Ibe got the whole second half... and we lost 1-0, I'd probably take it.

Edited by DC9

I was ultimately okay with the result, but we hadn't played like that at all throughout tourney. Credit that we can actually play like that.

We're spoiled. What can I say. :lol:

In theory I don't disagree, but Atletico are know for their defensive prowess. Not so much the same for Villareal.

They are, however, excellent at scoring, which is why Sturridge and friends weren't out there.

If you told me Sakho was suspended and our midfield was Lucas, Allen, and Milner and Sturridge and Ben didn't play, and Ibe got the whole second half... and we lost 1-0, I'd probably take it.

Villereal have given up the second least in goals. Their defense is quite good.

Villereal have given up the second least in goals. Their defense is quite good.

What's been their recent form?

Not good I'm guessing.... (actually, I know.... I'm just bringing it to your attention)

We could've and should've scored.

The (darn) rain in Spain ..... But as a mate rightly say's, much quicker and easier to dry yer bare legs than dry yer kecks. Very mixed weather aside, brilliant little trip that. Valencia as boss as ever (Just HOW did you f that up Neville lad? Where better a place would yers want to live like?). And Villarreal was a quaint little place with real friendly locals. ****e away end like the ground. Seemed as many steps as Newcastle to climb to get up there and stuck right up the top with the roof coming down and big frigging perspex glass screens and stanchion's in the way. Disappointed in that as it's always been one I wanted to go but at least it's ticked off the list. So onto the semi .....

Honestly REAL surprised at the reaction to the game. Both in the bars after among friends and on social media the morning after. I thought it was a pretty good game of footie (from what I could tell behind the glass), that was almost the perfect European away performance were it not for Moreno's moment of base stupidity undoing all the earlier hard work. Seen our approach criticised but I'd take the opposite view and say it was a spot-on game plan that ultimately just wasn't quite executed at the end when we for some inexplicable reason went gun-ho to get a winner after an absolutely World class Mingolet save (credit where credit's due. We could well be looking back on that in 5 days as playing a MAJOR part in getting to yet another European final); which just played into the counter-attacking instincts of what Villarreal are all about and ultimately cost us a more than deserved draw. That will come with more experience and better players. The ability to stay disciplined to the last and completely shut the game down and take the draw home. But I love the fact we've now seen another facet of Klopp in Europe and his tactical nounce to change when appropriate to the strengths of the opposition. Fills you with real confidence for future European campaigns which was never there before his arrival. Had we gone out and really attacked, pushing men forward, it would of just played into Villarreal's hands and left us open for what they do best. Hitting quickly on the break. (Thought some of their interplay the back was fantastic BTW when we pressed. And the little number 18 was benefiting from how comfortable all their back 4 are at playing their way out of trouble/ around the press.). So to set up and counter/ nullify that almost worked to perfection until Moreno's costly mistake the death. That was about as easy a European away as you could wish for and we had arguably the better chances to win it. Hell, if Allen had buried that early chance the game could of been so different and the tie over already. Another example of why I'm not big at all at extending him. Yeah, he's been doing real well recently. But when it counts, he just doesn't cut it in terms of production. Gerrard would of buried that for example. Free chance, unmarked, in the box. You HAVE to score. 

Where I would criticise Klopp was in his changes. Benteke should of been on half-time for Phil. Clyne had acre's of space down the right all night but no presence in the middle. Ibe was just rank bad when he came on. No problem in not seeing Sturridge at all. He'd just had to play the full 90 against Newcastle and we know we're still having to manage him back to full health to be ready for the pre-season. Wouldn't play him at all tomorrow and have him raring to go and chomping at the bit for next Thursday. 

Really not worried about next Thursday at all. (To the tune I bit the bullet Friday and booked the final flights as noted a few posts above. cool.gif.). Don't get me wrong, I can see it being harder than Dortmund in so much as these are a far more defensive side and real good on the counter attack. But the fourth best in Spain is a good ways short of what the fourth best side in England would be under normal circumstances and I didn't see much to fear from them at all. Either on the night or the game against Sociedad I watched last weekend. Rocking Anfield. Under the lights. In Europe. You know the script ..... Nothings changed. Even at 0-0 we'd still have to go out and win so the objective is the same. 

Disappointing to get beat but not deponent by any means as regards the tie and it didn't put too much of a damper on a boss little trip. (The weather took care of that haha.). It's Spain. Great food and rioja. Great people who love their footie. What more could you want from a few days away from reality?

Roll on next Thursday and the next step to that record equalling 4th UEFA Cup.

Hail. 

• Like 1

So happy for Rafa to see Pardew off with that 1-0 win. 

****ing cant stand that **** Pardew...

Roll on next Thursday and the next step to that record equalling 4th UEFA Cup.

Hail. 

FWIW, I was never worried, but I was upset that we could've had an away goal.

I think if we put a side out that is offensive, we can score goals at Anfield. 

• Like 1

Above and beyond that is REAL appreciated. Solidarity. Another thing that set's our City apart. 

Thank you blues. Classy. 

Watch: Everton fans’ emotional tribute to families of the 96 Hillsborough victims - Liverpool Echo

13133391_1162274070470320_51939233962009

And the same to every other club and support who paid tribute today. Thank you. Means a lot. 

So happy for Rafa to see Pardew off with that 1-0 win. 

****ing cant stand that **** Pardew...

This can't be said enough. 

Underhand little **** he is. (But I hope he wins the Cup lol.). 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Chiravella is not going to be a Liverpool player.

Kid is awful.

I saw no trains get to Swansea until after the match is over so I assume all of us are at home today?

Skrtel didn't even move for that corner.

Crabby from the Caps game last night and I wake up early to see Martin Skrtel...