Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

36 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Good lord.  Right now United need a new GK, 2 FB's, a CB that can organize the defense, a holding MF who can actually move, a midfield playmaker, 2 wingers and at least one striker who knows how to finish.  Going to be a looong rebuild.

Good lord, you’re hysterical. United need quality in the front three, a right back and a replacement for Pogba should he leave. If this is how Barca play against Liverpool they’re not getting past them. 

34 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Good lord, you’re hysterical. United need quality in the front three, a right back and a replacement for Pogba should he leave. If this is how Barca play against Liverpool they’re not getting past them. 

To compete we need more than that.  A right back is needed but we need a legitimate alternative to Shaw on the left unless he is going to stay fit and never be suspended again.  DDG looks and sounds like he wants out and is starting to play like he wants to be somewhere else and certainly he is not getting the 500k a week he is asking for so might as well sell him whilst he is still under contract.  We don't have a leader in defense and need to get one.  Possibly McTominay, Fred and the academy lads can be all we need centrally but I am not holding my breath there but you can't think we don't need wide players on both sides?  We have no natural width on the right and Martial would far rather play as a central striker and makes no effort at all when played wide left.  A top class striker is also a must.

I don't think it is hysterical to say that the current United squad doesn't feature a single player who would making the starting XI at Man City or Liverpool and that is not a good feeling.  DDG was the best keeper in the world a couple of years ago, now he is not even the best in Manchester.

Your point about Barca's performance only underscores how bad United have been over the two legs.  Barca have been pedestrian but still won at a canter, Liverpool will tear them to pieces.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

To compete we need more than that.  A right back is needed but we need a legitimate alternative to Shaw on the left unless he is going to stay fit and never be suspended again.  DDG looks and sounds like he wants out and is starting to play like he wants to be somewhere else and certainly he is not getting the 500k a week he is asking for so might as well sell him whilst he is still under contract.  We don't have a leader in defense and need to get one.  Possibly McTominay, Fred and the academy lads can be all we need centrally but I am not holding my breath there but you can't think we don't need wide players on both sides?  We have no natural width on the right and Martial would far rather play as a central striker and makes no effort at all when played wide left.  A top class striker is also a must.

I don't think it is hysterical to say that the current United squad doesn't feature a single player who would making the starting XI at Man City or Liverpool and that is not a good feeling.  DDG was the best keeper in the world a couple of years ago, now he is not even the best in Manchester.

Your point about Barca's performance only underscores how bad United have been over the two legs.  Barca have been pedestrian but still won at a canter, Liverpool will tear them to pieces.

First of all the biggest problem atm is that you barely post in this thread so let's get that sorted. 

We could use some cover at left back but Shaw is more than good enough. The problem is we have two players in the entire squad that are proper fullbacks, and the defensive side of Dalot's game isn't there yet. Starting right back should be a high priority, but as much as I thought our center back play was going to be a huge liability, they have been functional at worst, and IMO not the biggest culprits in this bad string of results. If we can somehow fit an upgrade over Smalling into the transfer budget, it the position may even turn into a strength.

Fred will be fine in midfield, he didn't all of a sudden forget how to play football, and when he adapts to the PL he'll play in the league like he's played in the CL. If Pogba is sold there will be a hole obviously but there will be money to fill it. I sided with him when Mourinho was around, but now what excuse does he have for coasting and not being focused? I think he has one eye on Madrid but who knows.

Either way our front three is the area of the team that needs to be completely rebuilt. The standard this club has set for center forward play over the years is being made a mockery of with the players being trotted out there. Martial is the only one for me with talent that could be cultivated into a forward that meets these standards, but with attackers that meet this club wants to return to, some of these losses, including today mind you, could have gone completely differently. The current midfield trio has done a good job putting out F3 in promising positions, but they just lack the creativity, skill and composure to make something out of it. I haven't heard a single player rumored to be a United target that wouldn't be an upgrade over Lukaku, Lingard and Rashford atm. Hell throw Greenwood in there all he has to do in order to be on their current level is next to nothing. 

Edited by Berggy9598
  • Like 1

Strange one this personally. First CL away I’ve missed since Fiorentina the groups 2009. Not being helped by photies and messages of everyone having a boss time the sun in one of the best City’s to have a break in Europe. But something had to give and the sky high prices Easter week for a place, as great as it is, that’s as hard a City to get to as anywhere Porto was that ‘give.’ I’ll make up for it in Barca after last nights perfect two results. No trip to gloomy Salford. No fearing for your own life against Juve. Perfect first night of European togger this week.

I wanted to note a great mate of mine, who’s out in Porto, who said last night ‘Loving the chance to relax in Europe without the strain and stress of the League’ ...... God Love him but I just don’t get that? At all!

This is the finest, most complete L’pool side in my match going lifetime. Which started in 1980. It always has been Kenny’s great ‘87/‘88 side. But this gang of majestic Reds have surpassed even that to currently have more points through 34 league games than any side in LFC’s storied history. All 127 years of it! They are EVERY bit as good as a City side we’ve been hearing all season are the best side ever assembled. And both these teams for the absolute ages, the best the PL has ever seen statistically, are involved in well arguably the greatest English top flight title fight of all time. Which neither deserves to lose such has been the phenomenal output from both this year.

How can you honestly NOT be enjoying that? SERIOUSLY?!!!!! This is what football support is ALL about. If you can’t enjoy it and every last drop you have for the brilliant lads in Red doing the same on the field these last 4 games, then what is the point of it all?

Relish it boys. It doesn’t get ANY better than this. Regardless of how it all ends up. This team is one for the ages and is only going to get more dominant the more this grows.

8 more. Starting tonight with another night of hard graft ahead in Porto!

Up the best in the land Reds. Doing what we do in Europe!

Hail.

• Like 2

@Berggy9598 I agree with pretty much everything you are saying and I don't think we view the team too differently with the exception maybe of DDG.  I would say that Martial must be in the last chance saloon at this point though.  He does have talent and has flashed it occasionally but far too often he seems disinterested and almost completely off the pace of the game.  I don't want to give up on him but he is one of the reasons I would advocate for a natural wide player on the left, we are wasting his time and ours playing him out there when it is obvious he would be far happier and almost certainly more productive in a central attacking role.

Spurs could score one today and make it a rocky road for City. With Son up front, they will be trying to hold and counter just like Korean National team....

I don't know if Porto was missing players for the first leg.... it felt that way they seemed overmatched all the way around and Liverpool kept Marega in check. It was 2-0 before I even blinked.... they will be pushing to get one back.

Lets Go Champions League!!

And that will be that. Keep working Reds. Proper Euro away digging in battle this. Scruffy but job done.

Back-to-back European Cup semis. 3 European campaigns under Klopp. 2 finals and at the very least another semi. Ridiculously hard to do that. Well and truly back as one of Europes very, very best clubs again!

Barcelona, the only English side to win in the Nou Camp, TWICE!, never losing in 4 previous visits and only conceding 1 goal in the process .....

Your arch-nemesis in Red is coming for you! AGAIN! 

Hail.

• Like 1