Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Well, I have played albeit a long time ago.

What's more is that my son plays and has since he was 4, he's 16 now and one of the top goalkeepers in the state, and he said it was a handball.

Honestly, this debate about handballs is getting to be like the debate about what constitutes a touchdown. It's all a bit ridiculous because as you watch the play it's clear, his arm is NOT at his side in the natural position, AND the ball struck his hand. Now you want to add into the officiating game mind-reading.

They have to **** about something or else they wouldn't have a job.

It's popular to hate on VAR right now because the purists want to take the game back to the 50's. It was the exact same thing when instant replay showed up in the NFL. 

The technology is here, it is here to stay, it did a VERY good gob. 

Then your son is of a generation going down a VERY dangerous road if they think that constitutes a penalty. 

He’ll be facing a heck of a lot of B/S penos every time he plays if that’s the case.

But as you’re just dismissing what’s natural and how your arms naturally are out when you jump for leverage and balance, it’s probably best we agree to disagree. I think the WC final referee was a complete and utter joke and the penalty that turned the match was a disgraceful decision. You think otherwise. It is what it is. 

But to the general success or not of VAR, tell the likes of the English, Swiss, Brazilians and no less the Croats that VAR did a ‘VERY’ good job. It was very mixed right through with VERY selective usage. Got some decisions right. F up others. And wasn’t even brought into play for the obvious ones that didn’t even need a review! But it was, in the main, fast and efficient. So there was that. 

Need a heck of a lot of work to iron things out before it can be treated seriously. Praise the Lord both UEFA competition and the PL aren’t jumping in feet first and using it full time next year whilst it’s still got the big teething problems it has.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

6 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

But as you’re just dismissing what’s natural and how your arms naturally are out when you jump for leverage and balance, it’s probably best we agree to disagree. I think the WC final referee was a complete and utter joke and the penalty that turned the match was a disgraceful decision. You think otherwise. It is what it is. 

For the record any movement of the arm in almost 360 degrees on a vertical and horizontal plane can be "natural". By your logic about the only handball that has ever taken place was from Maradona, but then that was against England so that too must be in doubt because you're English and obviously biased. LOL

Again Asb, you patently have little comprehension of players and the game and are only seeing this in plain back and white when it’s the furthest thing from so again,  it’s best left, 

But for the record if you think I have ANY connection or feeling toward England shy of being born here you’re badly mistaken. 

Hail.

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Again Asb, you patently have little comprehension of players and the game and are only seeing this in plain back and white when it’s the furthest thing from so again,  it’s best left, 

But for the record if you think I have ANY connection or feeling toward England shy of being born here you’re badly mistaken. 

Hail.

Over the years, GHH, you've expressed more than enough negativity toward the English. If it was meant to be indifference, it didn't come across that way. 

11 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Over the years, GHH, you've expressed more than enough negativity toward the English. If it was meant to be indifference, it didn't come across that way. 

Right.

So being as you know that, why suggest I have any feeling toward them and something negative against the English National football team would arse me in the slightest? 

Hail.

Lovren claiming 'France didn't play football... we were better than them'.

M Lovren a game isn't only one half of football possession, and we were the better team because we won. Possession means nothing you should have paid attention to what happened to Belgium. You managed to score only one goal on your own with all that possession. We also were the much better team in 2006 and 2016  ! You obviously got something to learn from your classy fans and president.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, FrFan said:

M Lovren a game isn't only one half of football possession, and we were the better team because we won. Possession means nothing you should have paid attention to what happened to Belgium. You managed to score only one goal on your own with all that possession. We also were the much better team in 2006 and 2016  ! You obviously got something to learn from your classy fans and president.

It was pretty football-y when Pogba and Mbappe smashed in goals from where no one has business shooting. Peut-etre, stop playing football and close down the shooter? Courtois was bitter about that too. Ironic coming from him having won medals playing for Mourinho in the most antifootball possible. 

It's interesting that the previous two world cups were won by teams that played more positional style and acting on the front foot. France def played defensively, but they had wonderful attacking players in Griezz, Pogba, and Mbappe to make it fun to watch. I don't think it was "anti-football" because they were willing and waiting to attack. I think Kante, Umtiti, and Varane were the only ones you never saw join any attacking movement in open play. Pavard and Hernandez from their fullback roles, certainly chose their spots to come forward. 

• Like 1

Thought it was a shame 2 controversial calls ended up with 2 balls in the onion bag for France. First one looked like the French player just slipped and was awarded the free kick and the 2nd was the widely talked about hand ball. As a defender and someone whom doesn't like French football, my internal bias might be the reason I think that shouldn't be called. Being in the air and expecting a deflection that doesn't come resulting in the ball hitting your hand is a tough spot and I don't think he meant to do it. It did stop the ball from advancing further into the box so I can see that call going either way. Feel like it should have stayed with what was called on the field as there wasn't conclusive clear cut evidence he handled it on purpose. 

Another thing about the tournament as a whole, I couldn't help but roll my eyes every single time I kept hearing "this is the best World Cup on record". Come on, it had some good games but overall the play in the offensive 3rd from almost all sides was horrendous. Prime example, Croatia dominating possession but only cashing in that possession with one goal. Who cares if you hold the ball for 75% of the game if you can't do jack **** within the final 3rd, we'll just sit back and hit you with a quick counter attack when we get possession. That's pretty much the style the Italian national side has played for decades. 10 behind the ball and quick counter attack when they get it while the other side is stretched out.

Edited by Zazzaro703
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FrFan said:

If you're the better team because you won doesn't that mean Italy and Portugal were the better teams in 2006 and 2012? 

7 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

the onion bag

really?

8 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

I couldn't help but roll my eyes every single time I kept hearing "this is the best World Cup on record". 

It's different for everyone. Name one you enjoyed better. 

Just now, Elessar78 said:

really?

Sorry, I love that phrase ever since Buffon got hurt a couple cups back and the English broadcaster said "What did GiGi hurt his back getting the ball out of the back of the onion bag"? It's lame, but it's an inside joke with myself :).

3 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Sorry, I love that phrase ever since Buffon got hurt a couple cups back and the English broadcaster said "What did GiGi hurt his back getting the ball out of the back of the onion bag"? It's lame, but it's an inside joke with myself :).

haha. aaahhh that onion bag guy. Tommy Smyth. 

1 hour ago, Berggy9598 said:

If you're the better team because you won doesn't that mean Italy and Portugal were the better teams in 2006 and 2012? 

2006 would be the exception that proves the rule. The ref confessed he didn't see anything, same thing for his sideline refs. Enter the 4th one using video, which was totally prohibited. On this one we got robbed big time by MaFifa. It's hard to beat your opponent when you're one man down and this man is the best player in the world. So in a matter of speaking they were the better team because Zidane (totally unacceptable attitude) and mainly the ref made them better.

In 2016 we were arrogants and Portugal resilient so they deserved the win, the underdog beat the favorite. We didn't make a fuss about it like Lovren which was my point.

Croatia was the better team during the first half only, we killed them in the second half, so they weren't the better team.

Edited by FrFan

1 hour ago, FanboyOf91 said:

not sure about this...

You should be mate. 

He’s top drawer. People getting caught up in him concealing 7 to us the semi (when Roma played with no defence) and the Brazilian WC seem unaware of the season he had for Roma last year in Serie A. Like a de Gea difference making season. He was that good. The swing in expected goals against to why they concealed was the highest in the top five European leagues for one. 

Yeah, it’s a one season deal. But if he continues on the trajectory he’s on he’ll be right up there with the very best in he World. 

Hail.

1 hour ago, FanboyOf91 said:

not sure about this...

The question becomes, what are you willing to pay for marginal return (when compared to position players valued at 70m).  There are very few match winning goalies in the world...is Allison one of them?   Chelsea and Liverpool both appear desperate, and Allison is the best keeper seemingly on the market.  So it's not really shocking to me that he's overvalued. But 70+ for a goalkeeper is nonsensical money for me.  

23 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

You should be mate. 

He’s top drawer. People getting caught up in him concealing 7 to us the semi (when Roma played with no defence) and the Brazilian WC seem unaware of the season he had for Roma last year in Serie A. Like a de Gea difference making season. He was that good. The swing in expected goals against to why they concealed was the highest in the top five European leagues for one. 

Yeah, it’s a one season deal. But if he continues on the trajectory he’s on he’ll be right up there with the very best in he World. 

Hail.

But, will Achterberg screw him up? Not a great record these past few years.

26 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

But, will Achterberg screw him up? Not a great record these past few years.

See, here’s my thing and the rub with the Dutch fella’.

On the face of it, every goalie under his charge has been dead poor. And in most cases flat out regressed. Starting with Reina on back. Although his heart was never in the club after Rafa left so that ones a wash.

But on the flip side of that, 3 top managers, Benitez, Kenny and now Klopp have not only retained him, they’ve all spoke in glowing terms on him. Now ‘keeper coaches aren’t on that great a salary and as such aren’t hard to bin off and replace.

So what gives there? These aren’t stupid men we’re talking about. Is it our recruitment in the first place where we’re just picking up bang average, uncoachable lads? Or is Acterberg fooling everyone and he really is a poor teacher?

I suspect it’s somewhere in the middle but it honestly conflicts me as to what to truly think on him?

That said. Now we’re FINALLY addressing the position properly, it might be best all round to have a complete break from the old and remove any continued ?

But then selling that to Klopp who’s intolerably loyal is another thing again.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1