Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Oh god, here come all the casuals complaining about offsides again. Happens every four years.

Great 2nd half by the Swiss. I believe thats the first come from behind win so far this World Cup.

I understand that it's called "football" in most places, but what if they had a line of scrimmage, snapped the ball, and just passed it to one another with their hands? Better yet, each "goal" could be worth 6 and you have the option of kicking it for a 7th point. Wouldn't that be better??

Those last two responses made sense.

I still think it would be more fun without the offsides rule. Doesn't everyone want to see more goals? That's the complaint about soccer- it's boring. And I wouldn't say I'm a casual soccer fan I've been watching a long time.

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I understand that it's called "football" in most places, but what if they had a line of scrimmage, snapped the ball, and just passed it to one another with their hands? Better yet, each "goal" could be worth 6 and you have the option of kicking it for a 7th point. Wouldn't that be better??

That's been shown to have limited appeal. 

• Like 1

Just now, abdcskins said:

I still think it would be more fun without the offsides rule. Doesn't everyone want to see more goals? That's the complaint about soccer- it's boring. And I wouldn't say I'm a casual soccer fan I've been watching a long time.

Club soccer has more goals. You have teams that don't really play with each other week to week, they're tired after a ten month season, playing in hot conditions (generally for WCs). 

Is there something magical about a basket being scored every 30-60 seconds? At the end of regulation, all most fans want to see is either a proficient display of skill or who has accumulated more points (or both). 

Also if you divide the score by values,  the average score of an NFL game is 4-2.5 (touchdowns). You're not really fooled by 29-18 are you?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I'm not a big soccer guy...I do just tune in during the World Cup and I'm usually captivated (more by the importance and scale than the actual minute to minute entertainment). I love the idea that so many people across the globe are doing the exact same thing at the same time. 

That's the point...why would we try to change something that is clearly the most popular global sport? Even though it's slightly different than what I'm used to, it's not hurting for fans or viewers from what I can tell. 

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

You have limited appeal

Well, that's true. What's also true is that the league has tried to promote "pointy football" abroad for a long time. No takers. It's not something to be pissed off about. If you like it, I like it—that's all that matters, right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elessar78 said:

Well, that's true. What's also true is that the league has tried to promote "pointy football" abroad for a long time. No takers. It's not something to be pissed off about. If you like it, I like it—that's all that matters, right?

Oh man - my football thing was supposed to be a joke making fun of the people who want to change soccer. I guess that didn't come across...whoops. 

• Like 1

A: Russia, Uruguay through—they play each other next: pick your unknown poison: spain or portugal

B: Spain and Portugal play 2 hapless sides. They're even on goal differential so it should be fun watching them beat up whoever (or tank) whatever the case may be. I wouldn't want to play the juiced-up home nation

C: Who cares? France, Denmark blah blah

D: Argies still might make it through.In fact, good chance on it. Croatia still my dark horse. Happy with either iceland or nigeria.

E: Brazil and Swiss only need a draw to advance. Brazil could be out with a loss.

It'd be cool to see a tournament where Germany, Argentina, and Brazil are out before the knockout stage.

Group H could be the worst group in a WC ever. 

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

Lol. Mitrovic has two Swiss with arm wrapped tightly around him and drag him to the ground. Foul on Mitrovic. No review. 

MaFifa found a way to corrupt the VAR and the ones who are running it. :rofl89:

I expect much more VAR blindness and poor officiating.

Stat : Peru played 4 world cup each time losing to the future world champion.

I bet this is going to end here :)

42 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I think they just need to make it like the pass beyond the line of scrimmage rule in football. There are too many occasions where a dude's head is past the defender or his arm but he doesn't really have an advantage. His entire body needs to be past any defender for it too be offsides. Like noticeably. 

If any part of him is level with the defensive line, it should not be offsides. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I guess I'm just confused...

There are 4 billion soccer fans. That means that more than half of the humans on the planet follow soccer in some way. Why again are we fixing something that isn't broken?

We aren't. It's just Johnny Casual's worthless opinion that pops up every 4 years.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

His entire body needs to be past any defender for it too be offsides. Like noticeably. 

If any part of him is level with the defensive line, it should not be offsides. 

Very good point. How often does the line judge get it wrong? Way too often. 

• Like 1

Cant get rid of offsides but if you're going to change something then change the pk rules, there are too many inconsistent calls made and IMO unless a player has a clear opportunity to score then he or she shouldn't be awarded a penalty kick.

Nothing is worse than seeing a player taken down right inside the 18 box on the endline and they get a pk, chances are they weren't going to score and the refs bailed them out.

IMO the pk rule is the worst rule/penalty in all of sports and it needs to be reassessed.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1

Seeing Fekir to Madrid rumors surfacing, and I would just like to say I would be outraged if that happened and I would absolutely not giggle like a little girl.

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Cant get rid of offsides but if you're going to change something then change the pk rules, there are too many inconsistent calls made and IMO unless a player has a clear opportunity to score then he or she shouldn't be awarded a penalty kick.

Nothing is worse than seeing a player taken down right inside the 18 box on the baseline and they get a pk, chances are they weren't going to score and the refs bailed them out.

IMO the pk rule is the worst rule/penalty in all of sports and it needs to be reassessed.

How do you feel about being in the bonus in basketball? 

5 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Seeing Fekir to Madrid rumors surfacing, and I would just like to say I would be outraged if that happened and I would absolutely not giggle like a little girl.

How do you feel about being in the bonus in basketball? 

I don't have a problem with it.