Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Columbia has been great recently since getting a new manager for the 2014 World Cup Cycle.  Same manager I hope joins the US after he finishes with Columbia if Jurgen leaves.  #3 might be high but they are doing a hell of a job in qualifying.  Remember its more of what have you done LATELY to deserve the rating.  If ratings were based on entire history we wouldn't be even in the top 30 and Mexico sure as heck wouldn't be behind us.

they have a really good side outside of Falcao.

If everyone stays healthy, they could make a run next year in the World Cup.

>Colombia is #3? FIFA high. There is no reason Colombia should be in the top 10. A team that did not qualify for the previous 2 WC should NEVER be ranked in the top 5 of the FIFA rankings. They have only qualified for the Confed Cup once (2003). They have never won the Gold Cup, only qualifying 3 times.

I mean seriously, can anyone defend them being ranked in the top 5?

maybe you should learn what federation Colombia is in and how FIFA calculates these rankings before you use this as a basis to ask if FIFA are high?

Ha. Who else do colombia have that's top notch? Serious question. I think Valencia is Colombian, but that's as much as I can list. Maybe Maynor Figueroa?

i guess Arsenal is winning the league, lol (j/k)

Hah. They could buy Suarez and Rooney, and they'd probably chock into 3rd and lose the Carling Cup final to Yeovil Town or something.

Speaking of Rooney, it'll be interesting to see him go to Chelsea, which is looking more and more likely. With Lukaku showing all the progress he made in WBA last season, and only improving, I can see Torres being a bench warmer for a while. Is Schurrle is a strike or an AM? Either way, Torres will probably be as useful for Chelsea off the field as he was on it. Washed up prick.

Supposedly, Downing could be on his way to West Ham. There was interest earlier, but he spoke out against it. Its funny, cus a lot of Liverpool fans are clamoring for Suarez to honor his contract and stick to his word, and some of those same fans are demanding that Downing take one for the team and move on.

It'll be interesting to see the Suarez situation play out. I know Henry said we won't sell to Farcenal at any cost, but if they came in with 50, 55 mil? Hard to say no to that. Its the kind of cash Rodgers could use to buy players that fit his system well, and it honestly weakens Arsenal, imo. He's an amazing player, but I can see him going to Arsenal, helping them out of the group stages of the CL and score a couple wonder goals in the league, only to demand a move to Madrid in 2015. This isn't like WankU buying RVP. Arsenal need more than just a striker to put the ball back there. So I would love to see them blow an outrageous amount of money on Suarez.

Ha. Who else do colombia have that's top notch? Serious question. I think Valencia is Colombian, but that's as much as I can list. Maybe Maynor Figueroa?

Valencia is Ecuadorian and Figueroa is Honduran

Colombia have James Rodriguez, Juan Zúñiga, Pablo Armero, Jackson Martinez, Freddy Guarin, Cristián Zapata, Luis Muriel, and Juan Quintero looks like a huge talent.

It'll be interesting to see the Suarez situation play out. I know Henry said we won't sell to Farcenal at any cost, but if they came in with 50, 55 mil? Hard to say no to that. Its the kind of cash Rodgers could use to buy players that fit his system well, and it honestly weakens Arsenal, imo. He's an amazing player, but I can see him going to Arsenal, helping them out of the group stages of the CL and score a couple wonder goals in the league, only to demand a move to Madrid in 2015. This isn't like WankU buying RVP. Arsenal need more than just a striker to put the ball back there. So I would love to see them blow an outrageous amount of money on Suarez.

it weakens Arsenal, yet somehow selling Suarez after 2 years seems to strengthen Liverpool according to you? Makes no sense buddy. Edited by JoeWolf990

In the bar in the Ferryman in Dublin killing time before the ferry home watching the Charity Shield leading the bar in a rousing rendition of 'Oh lay oh lay, oh lay oh lay David Moyes is gay!' ...... And other luminaries.. Yes iits schoolyard but we're bevied and it's FUN!

Thought I'd check in. Now come on Wigan!

Hail.

Valencia is Ecuadorian and Figueroa is Honduran

Colombia have James Rodriguez, Juan Zúñiga, Pablo Armero, Jackson Martinez, Freddy Guarin, Cristián Zapata, Luis Muriel, and Juan Quintero looks like a huge talent.

>It'll be interesting to see the Suarez situation play out. I know Henry said we won't sell to Farcenal at any cost, but if they came in with 50, 55 mil? Hard to say no to that. Its the kind of cash Rodgers could use to buy players that fit his system well, and it honestly weakens Arsenal, imo. He's an amazing player, but I can see him going to Arsenal, helping them out of the group stages of the CL and score a couple wonder goals in the league, only to demand a move to Madrid in 2015. This isn't like WankU buying RVP. Arsenal need more than just a striker to put the ball back there. So I would love to see them blow an outrageous amount of money on Suarez.

it weakens Arsenal, yet somehow selling Suarez after 2 years seems to strengthen Liverpool according to you? Makes no sense buddy.

No wonder they're ranked so high. That is some really good talent, especially attacking.

In regards to Arsenal, I think they could do better with 55mil than Suarez. After all that money they poured into attack last year with Podolksi, Cazorla, and Giroud, it seems a shame for them to spend that kind of money to push someone out. But I guess with all the games they'll play in league plus cup, it could only help. Still, I think their bigger need is a dominant CB. They're not too bad back there, but Mertesacker is over rated in my opinion, and some solid talent back there would do them better than suarez, imo.

In any event, I don't think it'll ever come to fruition. I think Henry knows that when he sold Torres, he was selling an old commodity for top, top dollar. But with Suarez entering his prime, and it being a World Cup year, he would be more valuable to us than 40mil. I think if he's got to sign one fairly high priced player to prove that though. Micky, then Costa have all passed up on us, for different reasons. I think they have to prove that we're not a selling club by buying someone. I'd prefer Papadapolous but I think Rodgers wants an AM, floating Winger/Striker who can score more goals for us.

No wonder they're ranked so high. That is some really good talent, especially attacking.

In regards to Arsenal, I think they could do better with 55mil than Suarez. After all that money they poured into attack last year with Podolksi, Cazorla, and Giroud, it seems a shame for them to spend that kind of money to push someone out. But I guess with all the games they'll play in league plus cup, it could only help. Still, I think their bigger need is a dominant CB. They're not too bad back there, but Mertesacker is over rated in my opinion, and some solid talent back there would do them better than suarez, imo.

In any event, I don't think it'll ever come to fruition. I think Henry knows that when he sold Torres, he was selling an old commodity for top, top dollar. But with Suarez entering his prime, and it being a World Cup year, he would be more valuable to us than 40mil. I think if he's got to sign one fairly high priced player to prove that though. Micky, then Costa have all passed up on us, for different reasons. I think they have to prove that we're not a selling club by buying someone. I'd prefer Papadapolous but I think Rodgers wants an AM, floating Winger/Striker who can score more goals for us.

no one is getting pushed out. Its called depth. Right now Arsenal only has Giroud as a viable CF.

And Torres was the same age as Suarez is today.

So Richmond Kickers creamed Dayton 5-2 yesterday but the story was the supporters group (River City Red Army) owning the show.  Flares, smokebombs, chant, songs, drums, bandanas, etc. You would have swore you walked into a little piece of South America.  Coach even said it was one of the most amazing atmospheres he's been part of as a coach.  The team sprinted over soon as the whistle blew to join in with the fun.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Have you had a chance to "tap" the sign?

148065802-the-original-this-is-anfield-s

Also, NBC Sports aired a good Premier League show which got me ready to go. Good overview of all teams. Really excited about NBC Sports coverage, and they are playing Premier League classics too. Going to be up at 7 AM tomorrow morning to watch City - QPR. 

Have you had a chance to "tap" the sign?

I sadly never have ix. I believe they let you do all that on the tour of the ground but I've never been on it. Real classy move from Rogers to have it reinstalled when he took over. It was a fantastic psychological move when Shankly introduced it back in '74 and should never of been taken down in the first place. 

Okay. I appreciate there's still another 5 days until the season starts and many more moves to be made not just this week but by September 2nd when the window closes. But FWIW here's my season predictions as we currently stand. 

Champions- Chelsea.

The Mourinho factor. Pure and simple. Dudes the best manager/ coach in the World bar none in the World for me. And one of the best man motivators there's ever been right up there alongside the likes of Shankly, Stein and Ferguson. And Jose and Chelsea are just made for each other. Not the best squad in the league. And one that still needs to get younger. But one that he'll maximise and get 100% from in every game. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Torres have a storming season this year. He's not been the same since he was injured. And a shadow of the player he was in his first two years in England when he was arguably the best forward on the planet. But if anyone can get the best out of him and reinvigorate him Jose can. And if/ when they get Rooney that attack should be devastating. 

Champions League- 

City, United, Arsenal. No change here in the top four. City I would expect will be the team that pushes Chelsea the hardest after all they've spent yet again. But after the upheaval of Mancini's exit and Pelegrini's far from welcome arrival, it remains to be seen just what turmoil hangs over. United and Arsenal will make up the top four by default as there's no opposition outside of maybe 'Spurs. If Arsenal signed Suarez, you could see them pushing. But it appears even if they returned with a Bale like offer Henry's adamant he's not selling to them. So thanks to Wenger's ridiculous reluctance to spend big yet again Arsenal will flatter to deceive and continue in their comfort zone of the last decade of a top four place and little else. And then there's Utd. Living legend who commands the utmost respect from ANY ego gone. Man who's never won a trophy and who's only European experience is managing to crash out of two different competitions in the qualifying stages within a month of each other in the same season. And who's never handled players like he's now in charge of. All major transfer targets missed. Arguably their most important player no longer wanting to play for the club and whom I fully expect to slap in a transfer request in the next week or so wanting gone whilst the club dig in and say he's going nowhere. The list goes on. Utd will make the top 4 I have no doubt again by virtue of nothing else out there to challenge. But they'll be a significant dropoff between them and the likes of Chelsea and City. The Utd trophy cycle has ended for the foreseeable IMHO. May 'David Moyes Football Genius' reign be a LONG one!  :D

5th/ Europa League Place:

Tottenham. Not quite strong enough for the top 4. Too strong a squad for the rest. With or without Bale. 

Relegated:

Hard to see past the three promoted clubs going straight back from whence they came so we'll keep this simple and say Crystal Palace, Cardiff City and Hull City to fill the bottom three slots. 

As for my own team .....

I can't see Liverpool finishing any higher than 6th this term. The only threat to that is Everton but they'll be a drop off there for a while whilst Martinez changes things and gets his ideas across. Which all should be good enough for Europe given one of the top 5 invariably cleans up in the cups. But given modern day football and the ridiculous lack of patience I fear that may not be enough to save BR his position, And then we're starting over again and the wait continues .....

Suarez is obviously the big story. I still expect him to be in Madrid by the end of the window. Or at worst in Spain by the January one. Arsenal appears all but dead now after what the principle owners had to say. The question comes as to how much of that money get's reinvested back into a squad that's still a LONG way shy of the quality of the top 4 clubs both in starters and depth. Coutinho could turn out to be another £40/ 50 million player if he keeps this rapid progression up. But it's becoming more and more apparent the rest of the lazy so-and-so's are doing exactly what they did when Gerrard was in his prime ..... sitting back and expecting him and him alone to create something from nothing. The lads gona' get kicked to **** without any support this year. Sturridge looks sharper than any other forward already and he's only been training a week which is worrying. If he can stay fit, the link up play developing between him and Coutinho could be a real threat. Thank you yet again Raheem Sterling for being an absolute ass and adding to our problems. Second arrest for assaulting the same girlfriend. At 18. Lads going off the rails and fast. On the new signings, I love the Mingolet pickup. And it was refreshing to see Aspas at least scoring pre-season as opposed to what our signings normally do in the summer. But he and Alberto have it ALL to prove at this level so I'm not expecting a great deal. At least Coutinho had some experience and promising in a top league and club to hope on. Agger better get fit QUICK because Toure and Skrtel at centre half could well be carnage. I could go on and on but let's just say I'm expecting very little from 2013-14. They'd better step it up a LOT before next Saturday or else they'll be looking up at everyone before it's even begun as Stoke will be a real hard obstacle to overcome. VITAL we win the opening two games. 

Roll on Saturday. Good luck to all your teams unless you're of a Manchester or bitter Blue persuasion.  :P

And with no European trips now until whenever, I may well be that much in withdrawal I'll see some of you in Boston next summer for the Roma game .....

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Arsenal has money but Arsene is playing cheap, he might stay put in the top 5 entering the final year of his contract.

bidding 40 million is cheap?

especially when no other club has bid for Suarez even though his agent ran around telling everyone of this clause? in what world lol?

Arsenal has money but Arsene is playing cheap, he might stay put in the top 5 entering the final year of his contract.

especially when no other club has bid for Suarez even though his agent ran around telling everyone of this clause? in what world lol?

I think the point he was making is that he's had serious money to play with all window and by all accounts he's not made a move on anyone bar Suarez. Who's he's tried to dramatically lowball on twice. Dependent on whom you believe, dragging his heals cost him and Arsenal Higuain. 

At least thats how I read it.

Hail. 

I think the point he was making is that he's had serious money to play with all window and by all accounts he's not made a move on anyone bar Suarez. Who's he's tried to dramatically lowball on twice. Dependent on whom you believe, dragging his heals cost him and Arsenal Higuain. 

At least thats how I read it.

Hail. 

I read it as a response to your post about Suarez.

If he meant that, then I agree completely. I am actually livid with how this summer has gone, WUMing Liverpool fans notwithstanding.

Looks like we may be signing Luis Gustavo though.

Columbia has been great recently since getting a new manager for the 2014 World Cup Cycle.  Same manager I hope joins the US after he finishes with Columbia if Jurgen leaves.  #3 might be high but they are doing a hell of a job in qualifying.  Remember its more of what have you done LATELY to deserve the rating.  If ratings were based on entire history we wouldn't be even in the top 30 and Mexico sure as heck wouldn't be behind us.

they have a really good side outside of Falcao.

If everyone stays healthy, they could make a run next year in the World Cup.

>Colombia is #3? FIFA high. There is no reason Colombia should be in the top 10. A team that did not qualify for the previous 2 WC should NEVER be ranked in the top 5 of the FIFA rankings. They have only qualified for the Confed Cup once (2003). They have never won the Gold Cup, only qualifying 3 times.

I mean seriously, can anyone defend them being ranked in the top 5?

maybe you should learn what federation Colombia is in and how FIFA calculates these rankings before you use this as a basis to ask if FIFA are high?

What exactly is your point? Colombia was the runner-up to Canada in the 2000 Gold Cup, and finished 3rd in the 2005 Gold Cup. So Colombia has definitely played in the Gold Cup. They have never won it. They only qualified for it 3 times. Are they in CONCACAF? No. Do they play in the Gold Cup? Yes.

And Colombia is not worthy of being ranked #3 in FIFA. I don't care how well they are playing lately, Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Netherlands, & Italy all have better overall teams and should be ranked ahead of Colombia.

What exactly is your point? Colombia was the runner-up to Canada in the 2000 Gold Cup, and finished 3rd in the 2005 Gold Cup. So Colombia has definitely played in the Gold Cup. They have never won it. They only qualified for it 3 times. Are they in CONCACAF? No. Do they play in the Gold Cup? Yes.

And Colombia is not worthy of being ranked #3 in FIFA. I don't care how well they are playing lately, Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Netherlands, & Italy all have better overall teams and should be ranked ahead of Colombia.

FIFA uses the last 4 years to calculate its rankings. What happened in 2000, 2003, or even 2006 is completely irrelevant.

Colombia were invited to the Gold Cup, which is a CONCACAF (North American) competition. Brazil were also invited to the Gold Cup one year. As was South Korea, Japan, etc. Colombia is in COMNEBOL (South America) and their continental tournament is Copa America.

I am not saying I agree with the rankings, but instead to say that you have a misunderstanding of how they work by citing stuff like the Gold Cup from 2000 or past world cups as an example of their current power. Its incorrect.

And like I said earlier, Colombia has a really talented team and are doing very good in COMNEBOL World Cup qualifying, and could be a dark horse in the tournament next year.

Edited by JoeWolf990

FIFA uses the last 4 years to calculate its rankings. What happened in 2000, 2003, or even 2006 is completely irrelevant.

Colombia were invited to the Gold Cup, which is a CONCACAF (North American) competition. Brazil were also invited to the Gold Cup one year. As was South Korea, Japan, etc. Colombia is in COMNEBOL (South America) and their continental tournament is Copa America.

I am not saying I agree with the rankings, but instead to say that you have a misunderstanding of how they work by citing stuff like the Gold Cup from 2000 or past world cups as an example of their current power. Its incorrect.

And like I said earlier, Colombia has a really talented team and are doing very good in COMNEBOL World Cup qualifying, and could be a dark horse in the tournament next year.

FIFA #3 can't be considered a dark horse. FIFA #3 should be in the handful of teams with a legit shot at winning the WC. I know Colombia is in CONMEBOL. I know they were a guest country of the Gold Cup. I also know that being hot has nothing to do with FIFA rankings. FIFA has an archaic ranking structure, although they did tweak it to 4 years vs 8 years in the mid-200's (I think).

Luis Suarez, after saying yesterday that he would not talk about his future while on International Duty, made a statement that he is staying at Anfield to an Uruguayan paper. 

He's now apparently been swayed to stay by the support of the fans. 

More faces than a Town Hall clock. 

Hail. 

Congrats on keeping him?? Doesn't sound like you're thrilled by him staying put. Although I have my doubts it was the fans—if so, he's a different than the typical, modern footballer. 

Rumors have you linked with Willian. I'm surprised Wenger didn't pull the trigger on that Russian fire sale to bring both him and Eto'o to the Emirates. It's an odd game Wenger is playing right now: we're a week from the season opener and we're only carrying two goalkeepers, we're short on healthy center backs, and lack depth and quality at striker. 

I think if you're "rebuilding" you have to do it in phases. On a positive note, Arsenal did offload a whole bunch of dead weight. I can see us making a play to bring in Dzecko since he seems to have been displaced at Citeh. 

It's a win-win for the club. 

I have no doubt that, as unhappy as he is, he'll give his all on the pitch. That's the type of character he is. He only knows one way to play and that's to give everything. And come January, there's going to be a major club struggling. Be it Madrid, Barcelona or whomever. So the chances are they'll have their valuation met then. 

Personally, I'm so over him it's untrue. The fanbase seems pretty split. Most of the younger end and 'modern day' fan will be elated if he's here past September 2nd. The lads I've always knocked about with and gone the game with would be happy to see him go, but not to an English club: i.e. Arsenal. So if he has to stay and leave on our terms, their happy with that. Me, I just want him gone and the club to be able to move on. Never felt so betrayed by a footballer. Including Torres. 

Still feel there's some twists in this (sorry) saga yet though before the window closes. 

Hail.