Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Screaming Eagles and Barra Brava are masters of making beer last;)

Btw no one mentioned the US finalizing the details for hosting the 2016 Copa America. Great chance to reach out to our South American bros. Personally I'd love the Americas to have a real tournament(Like a Euro) and then have the Gold Cup secondary.

What do you want them to do other than the Gold Cup? I thought that was CONCACAF's equivalent to the Euro? Or maybe you're saying a joint CONCACAF-CONMEBOL tournament?

It is pretty awesome news about Copa America though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/u-host-play-2016-copa-america-mexico-four-223319390--sow.html

What do you want them to do other than the Gold Cup? I thought that was CONCACAF's equivalent to the Euro? Or maybe you're saying a joint CONCACAF-CONMEBOL tournament?

It is pretty awesome news about Copa America though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/u-host-play-2016-copa-america-mexico-four-223319390--sow.html

I assume since US and Mexico automatically qualify they'll make groups with leaders US,Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina.

-----

A joint tourney was exactly what I'm suggesting. Make Copa America equivalent to the Euro. Gold Cup could become a secondary tourney. Honestly Gold Cup is only relevant for getting to the Confederations Cup. Think about the attention the Euro got in the US. Imagine if we were apart of tournament like that every couple of years? Combine that with the World Cup and Gold Cups occasionally and you have constant exposure.2016 will be great for soccer exposure in the US but we can't just host the tourney and then that's it. We need to get momentum going and use 2016 and beyond to get things really going.

I assume since US and Mexico automatically qualify they'll make groups with leaders US,Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina.

-----

A joint tourney was exactly what I'm suggesting. Make Copa America equivalent to the Euro. Gold Cup could become a secondary tourney. Honestly Gold Cup is only relevant for getting to the Confederations Cup. Think about the attention the Euro got in the US. Imagine if we were apart of tournament like that every couple of years? Combine that with the World Cup and Gold Cups occasionally and you have constant exposure.2016 will be great for soccer exposure in the US but we can't just host the tourney and then that's it. We need to get momentum going and use 2016 and beyond to get things really going.

I'm saying they are equivalent tournaments in theory as UEFA is the equivalent of CONCACAF or CONMEBOL. UEFA just happens to be the home to most of the world's popular and historically successful teams. I agree though that a combined tournament would be fun. However we can't even dominate CONCACAF, I'd hate to see us up against the likes of Brazil and Argentina on the regular :(

MASSIVE game against Anzhi tonight after the loss last time out. Really need 4 points, if not 6 from the two back-to-back's against the best side in the group. Or else that could well be it for Europe for two years as I doubt we qualify through the league due to a lack of a goalscorer.

Here's hoping BR doesn't put too weak a side out with the derby Sunday in mind. Must win game. And my first home European of the season. Go figure. (Although I did go up to Hearts and have the Udine trip to come the start of December.).

Than you Hidink and the Anzhii players for laying the wreath at the memorial last night. Great touch. And greatly appreciated.

Good luck redmen.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I'm saying they are equivalent tournaments in theory as UEFA is the equivalent of CONCACAF or CONMEBOL. UEFA just happens to be the home to most of the world's popular and historically successful teams. I agree though that a combined tournament would be fun. However we can't even dominate CONCACAF, I'd hate to see us up against the likes of Brazil and Argentina on the regular :(

We can only get so good playing CONCACAF opponents in qualifying and couple European friendlies. We got to challenge ourselves if we're ever gonna get better. Sure we'd take our lumps against the Conmebol but we'd improve with those experiences and possibly attractive better players who dream about playing teams like Brazil and Argentina. Our players motivation right now is beat some small central American teams, a few small islands, and Mexico. Then it's off to the world cup. The biggest stage in soccer. If we want to just sit here in our little bubble we can but we can only get so good playing teams like Antigua.

-----

you are thinking of this from a US perspective. What about the Central American and Caribbean teams? The only way they get better is by playing these matches.

2016 Copa America would be awesome in America tho.

you are thinking of this from a US perspective. What about the Central American and Caribbean teams? The only way they get better is by playing these matches.

2016 Copa America would be awesome in America tho.

We play the same teams all the time. We play a couple friendlies, qualifying, and then boom World Cup. That's why CONCACAF doesn't win anything. We all just play each other but no one gets to the next level. Notice Mexico has gotten better but that's because they challenges themselves to be better. They take some beat downs in Copa America, work their youth programs, and they schedule some tough friendlies. We can't keep doing the same thing. The world is getting better each cycle whether it be youth programs, skill,etc. We have to branch out to get better. I'm talking about the entire federation. US and Mexico dominance over CONCACAF means nothing. Soon as we go out to play another federation while get dropped. The level of CONCACAF is no where close to the soccer powers. We can't get better if we ignore the soccer power countries. They keep inviting us and we shut them down every time. They keep giving us the opportunity to get better and we just go "Nah we good guys." Not to mention sending our B team to get creamed that one year and insulting all of South America.

We play the same teams all the time. We play a couple friendlies, qualifying, and then boom World Cup. That's why CONCACAF doesn't win anything. We all just play each other but no one gets to the next level. Notice Mexico has gotten better but that's because they challenges themselves to be better. They take some beat downs in Copa America, work their youth programs, and they schedule some tough friendlies. We can't keep doing the same thing. The world is getting better each cycle whether it be youth programs, skill,etc. We have to branch out to get better. I'm talking about the entire federation. US and Mexico dominance over CONCACAF means nothing. Soon as we go out to play another federation while get dropped. The level of CONCACAF is no where close to the soccer powers. We can't get better if we ignore the soccer power countries. They keep inviting us and we shut them down every time. They keep giving us the opportunity to get better and we just go "Nah we good guys." Not to mention sending our B team to get creamed that one year and insulting all of South America.

im not disagreeing, but it doesnt help the rest of the nations in CONCACAF.

im not disagreeing, but it doesnt help the rest of the nations in CONCACAF.

My suggestion is to use the top 4-6 spots in the Gold Cup or the 6(or top 4) teams from the previous Hex qualifying to determine which CONCACAF teams get to go Copa America to play with the Conmbol each Copa America tournament. It give 6 teams from our federation a chance to go and US should definitely be one of those spots.

My suggestion is to use the top 4-6 spots in the Gold Cup or the 6(or top 4) teams from the previous Hex qualifying to determine which CONCACAF teams get to go Copa America to play with the Conmbol each Copa America tournament. It give 6 teams from our federation a chance to go and US should definitely be one of those spots.
can't wait:

You guys coming to the game? We'll know after Saturday when they're playing.

Probably will be a week day.

Do we at least know what week it will be?

Man, tickets are only $30 on the barra site for members. I may have to make an appearance no matter what.

A lot of people over at big soccer are speculating a Wednesday game. Does that mean Halloween or the following week?

EDIT: here is what I saw over there:

What I heard from my rep today was:

· Finish 4th - Wed., Oct 31

· Finish 3rd - Sat., Nov 3 or

· Finish 1/2 - Wed., Nov 7

Take that with a large pinch of salt.

Edited by Skinz4Life12

Do we at least know what week it will be?

Man, tickets are only $30 on the barra site for members. I may have to make an appearance no matter what.

A lot of people over at big soccer are speculating a Wednesday game. Does that mean Halloween or the following week?

EDIT: here is what I saw over there:

What I heard from my rep today was:

· Finish 4th - Wed., Oct 31

· Finish 3rd - Sat., Nov 3 or

· Finish 1/2 - Wed., Nov 7

Take that with a large pinch of salt.

http://www.dcunited.com/news/2012/10/dc-uniteds-playoff-picture-0

Wild Card Match (Oct. 31 or Nov. 1)

Eastern Conference Semifinal, Leg 1 (Nov. 3 or Nov. 4)

Eastern Conference Semifinal, Leg 2 (Nov. 7 or Nov. 8)

Those are all the possible dates. And I've heard the same as the guy you referenced, that depending on final standings we'd play at home 31st, 3rd, or 7th.

****** Derby day.

Cold and wet. Blown two goal lead through woeful defending. Marriner giving us nottin' all day. Culminating in a goal that looked a goal in the ground, and is an even harder pill to swallow having seen it back on the TV. No foul. No offside. Robbed blind. Cheating *****!

For those of us from the City, this game is the one you want more than any other due to living side by side with the bitters and listening to their deluded **** every week.

****** Sunday.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven